Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recruiter putting me forward for a job I don't have the experience for

Options
  • 10-02-2016 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

Am looking for a new job at the moment. Have a recruiter sending me the odd job. The last one was in November. A decent job requiring skills I have but in an industry I've never worked in. And experience in that industry was one of prerequisites for the job.

Now she's come back with the same job again. This time 5k more salary. Says the company didn't find anyone they liked and are out again.

Now, the requirements still says 5 years plus experience in this industry. And, obviously, I still don't have it. Recruiter says not important, more important are skills.

Don't want to waste everyone's time by going for something that I don't tick the minimum boxes on. But at the same time - could the recruiter be on to something?

How strongly to recruiters oversell potential applicants?

Cheers,
    Quad
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

The only time I told a recruiter "I'm not suitable for that role", she told me, "Go anyway, trust me on this" and I wound up working for the company for 13 years through three promotions and a lateral transfer. Let the company make the call on whether they want to hire you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

Most recruiters I know would put forward a blind and crippled donkey as a candidate for UN Secretary General if they even get so much as a sniff of a chance. I think it's important to stress to anyone who has your details/CV that you only want your CV submitted if the position suits you.

In saying that, oftentime jobs ads will list desired skills/experience, but the companies will settle for less. Personally if I felt I was qualified for a job (skills wise) I'd have no problem submitting my CV - let the company decide if they want to interview me or not.

Advertisement