Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US iPhone 6s

• 10-02-2016 2:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭

Hi Everyone,

Been a while since I upgraded my iPhone and I do a good deal of travelling. vaguely remember the iPhone 5(s) having a different chip-set for the 4G / LTE standard. Is this still the case with the iPhone 6s? My question is, can I buy an iPhone 6s in the US and when I'm home Ireland, will I have issues on the networks? My EU iPhone 5 has issues in the US in some regions.

Thanks!

Edit:

The only difference I can see is the US model A1633 has the US 30 (2300 MHz) LTE band, whilst the EU model Model A1688 has the exact same bands, except US 30.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭cracker

Hi

I bought one in Boston before Christmas and have had it working no problem since then on Three. I think the more recent models work across nearly all bands so should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

cracker wrote: »
    Hi

I bought one in Boston before Christmas and have had it working no problem since then on Three. I think the more recent models work across nearly all bands so should be fine.

Thanks cracker. If anything, the US phone is a better buy as it has the extra band compared to the EU model. Its also €150 or so cheaper on this side of the Atlantic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,323 ✭✭✭jay93

Either one will work in Ireland they both support band 3 and 20.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

You can't use EU AppleCare on an American iphone, I found this out the hard way, so just keep that in mind.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Will be technically the same and will work perfect here. I've bought before on trips and would do again if I get the chance.

The only thing is because it's bought in the USA you cannot do the mail in warranty jobs. It has to be brought to an Apple Store and that means a trip to Belfast. I found that out the hard way!

• Advertisement

Will be technically the same and will work perfect here. I've bought before on trips and would do again if I get the chance.

The only thing is because it's bought in the USA you cannot do the mail in warranty jobs. It has to be brought to an Apple Store and that means a trip to Belfast. I found that out the hard way!

Thanks folks. Bought today! Apple Care I'm not too concerned about, I only see the value on the likes of a MacBook and Belfast isn't too bad if I need to wander up. Cheers!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thanks folks. Bought today! Apple Care I'm not too concerned about, I only see the value on the likes of a MacBook and Belfast isn't too bad if I need to wander up. Cheers!

Power plug will be different of course - 2 pin tiny job rather than the three pin.

Get a genuine or good usb charger rather than a generic cheapo one - as well as being potentially dangerous firehazard the ones I tested had a ripple and spikes in the voltage that would have been bad for the phone.

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

kceire wrote: »

Not the case anymore. My son had a iphone 5s bought in US with apple care. Brought it to iConnect on Henry street(Dublin) for repair under apple care warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

ozmo wrote: »
    Power plug will be different of course - 2 pin tiny job rather than the three pin.

Get a genuine or good usb charger rather than a generic cheapo one - as well as being potentially dangerous firehazard the ones I tested had a ripple and spikes in the voltage that would have been bad for the phone.

Do yourself a favour & get the folding three pin charge adapter, it's £25 but makes a huge difference when carrying it.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks. I travel a good bit and Electronic Engineer by trade so only the best chargers need apply :pac:

mad m wrote: »
    Not the case anymore. My son had a iphone 5s bought in US with apple care. Brought it to iConnect on Henry street(Dublin) for repair under apple care warranty.

That's strange as t just happened is last month with an iPhone 6!
    No AppleCare though.

How come you can go to iconnect? Apple state that they have no official Apple repair shops in the republic.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

kceire wrote: »
    That's strange as t just happened is last month with an iPhone 6!
    No AppleCare though.

How come you can go to iconnect? Apple state that they have no official Apple repair shops in the republic.

Just changed in the last week or two. You can go to CompuB as well, I think.

whiterebel wrote: »
    Just changed in the last week or two. You can go to CompuB as well, I think.

Excellent news. Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,876 ✭✭✭ozmo

ironclaw wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I travel a good bit and Electronic Engineer by trade so only the best chargers need apply :pac:

Had to add this - thought it funny: (contains one word nsfw)

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

Is there much of a saving in buying an iPhone in the US? I'm considering a 16GB 6s (I've always had 16GB smartphones and managed fine), direct from Apple here it costs €759.

Shred wrote: »
    Is there much of a saving in buying an iPhone in the US? I'm considering a 16GB 6s (I've always had 16GB smartphones and managed fine), direct from Apple here it costs €759.

My iPhone 6S (64GB) was €682.37 all in, its €869.00 from Apple Ireland. So €186.63 in a saving. Note, I had the further advantage of buying in Delaware, so another saving as Delaware has no sales tax. Anywhere else in the States, you're probably looking at 10-15% or so in State / City taxes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Shred

That's a pretty decent saving alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Is there anywhere near Manhattan NY I could hop on a train or subway to avail of no sales tax.. New Jesery?

mad m wrote: »
    Is there anywhere near Manhattan NY I could hop on a train or subway to avail of no sales tax.. New Jesery?

Only state that I'm aware of is Delaware. While you might avoid City tax, you'll get hit with State tax. Delaware isn't that far but I'd only go if you were passing e.g. En route to Washington DC. The cost of avoiding the tax would equal the cost of getting there.

• Advertisement
Advertisement