Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggle aquire Chainreaction and Bike24

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Alek

Interesting, but I'd be very surprised should this happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

The article I found suggested that neither party was willing to confirm or deny.

Usually bad news when main players get absorbed.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Alek wrote: »
    Interesting, but I'd be very surprised should this happen.

Me too. Just on an Ireland/UK basis it would kill competition over night (I know there are other options but these are probably the biggest 2)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

I find CRC to win in price each time , hope it's not true

On the contrary, in my experience days when CRC was the cheapest place around are long gone....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I find CRC better on price and delivery generally but I always shop around

Fair enough, they are unbeatable with delivery times. Except for swimcyclerun.ie (from what I've heard) no other online shop has 1 day (effectively) delivery in Ireland. And its free.

But if you are not in rush, its hard to beat Germans on prices. They charge for delivery though, but there are ways around it sometimes ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭Junior

It seems as if CRC's biggest market is outside of UK & IRL.. Evans Cycles sold last year for 100 Million Sterling.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,832 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

It's only bad news for the competition!

The buying power of these two combined would make them one of the or probably the biggest online cyclesport retailer in the world...

They were already in trouble with U.S based bike retailers for selling goods cheaply to American customers...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

Alek wrote: »
    Fair enough, they are unbeatable with delivery times. Except for swimcyclerun.ie (from what I've heard) no other online shop has 1 day (effectively) delivery in Ireland. And its free.

But if you are not in rush, its hard to beat Germans on prices. They charge for delivery though, but there are ways around it sometimes ;)

agreed, the german shops always cheaper than anything UK or Ireland based.

• Advertisement

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    It's only bad news for the competition!

The buying power of these two combined would make them one of the or probably the biggest online cyclesport retailer in the world...

They were already in trouble with U.S based bike retailers for selling goods cheaply to American customers...

The Americans giving out about out a capitalism. Shocking!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,422 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

mossym wrote: »
    agreed, the german shops always cheaper than anything UK or Ireland based.
    I've a "casual" membership of British Cycling which gives me 10% off CRC (even when already discounted). I get a minimum 12% off Wiggle with my platinum discount. I find I can usually get a lot of (particularly routine) stuff from one or other as cheap if not cheaper than on the continent.

The recent strength of sterling has made CRC and Wiggle less competitive, but that's starting to reverse now, meaning they could well become cheaper even before the discounts.

I don't see any competition authority standing in the way of a merger. I suspect both brands will be maintained, certainly short term, but they will be able to get stuff in cheaper and improve their margins that way. I don't see them pushing up prices, as that would leave an opportunity for someone else to fill the space left by the 2 merging.

godtabh wrote: »
    The Americans giving out about capitalism. Shocking!

Not really, it's not that the two companies are using a clever and inventive sales strategy, more exploiting the fact that manufacturers are supplying European retailers like CRC/Wiggle at less than the U.S MSRP...

Not really, it's not that the two companies are using a clever and inventive sales strategy, more exploiting the fact that manufacturers are supplying European retailers like CRC/Wiggle at less than the U.S MSRP...

That's capitalism at its finest!

godtabh wrote: »
    That's capitalism at its finest!

Exploitation.. same thing I guess!

Beasty wrote: »
    I've a "casual" membership of British Cycling which gives me 10% off CRC (even when already discounted). I get a minimum 12% off Wiggle with my platinum discount. I find I can usually get a lot of (particularly routine) stuff from one or other as cheap if not cheaper than on the continent.

the likes of tires and that can generally be gotten at a much bigger discount. the uk sites will advertise Gp4000's "on sale " at >40 euros a pop, the german sites will have them constantly (not on time limited sale)for 30 to 31 euros. i find cassettes and chains similar. the difference on bigger items can be significant too. cheapest i could find a specific turbo model was 500+ on uk site(wiggle i think), german site was <370.

where i do find the german sites struggle is clothes, wiggle/crc much better for those, but i also tend to use LBS for those more than online.

Exploitation.. same thing I guess!

No thats how the free market works.

A combined CRC and Wiggle could easily put the likes of Swim Cycle Run out of business if they really wanted to in terms of price but probably wont as SCR has a nice niche in their next day deliver (and general great CS).

I handt realized that Merlin went for £100m. Assuming a lot of that was stock and a big customer base

My point is that the Americans are competing on price but the likes of SCR have a differentiation

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »

They are excellent offers !

Suspect this will actually open the market a little as wiggle and crc tend to offer similar lines, others do better niche deals and this may allow them to expand a little.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I have found wiggle to be consistently cheaper for the last 2 or 3 years, but CRC have a better delivery time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭C3PO

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭Sinbad_NI

Hope not. CRC warehouse is close to work. Very handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

I check them all when buying and rarely buy from the same place twice in a row although CRC and Wiggle would both get most of my custom but recently Ribble, PBK and PBS have had better prices (inc shipping costs at times) than the others.

Bike24, Bike-Discount, 4theBike and Jedi-Sports always seem to be better for larger, more expensive items.

I can't see a merger by the two effecting prices too much...I hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

will be visiting my dentist whose dad works for them tomorrow. .I'll try and wiggle it out of him :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

ILIKEFOOD wrote: »
    will be visiting my dentist whose dad works for them tomorrow. .I'll try and wiggle it out of him :)

I hope, the dentist doesn't have to do any wiggling.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 cromcruach

Really hope this doesn't mean loss of jobs and warehouses in Ballyclare. It's on my way back from work and it's fantastic being able to drive into a shop that stocks everything and has website prices!

Get my servicing done there too, always good and they throw in a lot of stuff gratis. And never blink twice at any weird Campag requests.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,789 ✭✭✭PowerToWait

I bought my first proper bike off them in 1992. A grey Marin with obligatory purple trim. Drove up and collected.

Was just a young fella and his oul lad in a pokey shop. Incredible how they grew.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

C.R.C sponsored an MTB race, that I organised in Ravensdale in '95 or '96

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭PringleDemon

CRC have been actively looking for a buyer for some time now. It's the logical thing to do for them , they have made a £200M personal fortune. I think I could retire on that.

CRC sponsor a lot of local racing from Cyclocross in NI to some of the Enduro scene . Can't see Wiggle being to interested in doing that. What next for the Sean Kelly Pro Team ?

why do people think CRC is going away? i'd say nothing will change, just the owners. it's a well established brand, with a huge customer base. even if this merger does go ahead, i imagine it will be business as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

mossym wrote: »
    why do people think CRC is going away? i'd say nothing will change, just the owners. it's a well established brand, with a huge customer base. even if this merger does go ahead, i imagine it will be business as usual.
    Yeah, I'd be surprised if they even rebrand as Wiggle tbh.

Advertisement