Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would it be mad to cut the grass today?

Options
  • 10-02-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭

Based on the East Coast where frost is rare. I have a heavy crop of good quality grass that has the sun shining on it all day so it's as dry as its going to get. Would I do any harm in cutting it with a raised blade?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

I cut all way through winter damage or not... hate looking at a scruffy lawn all winter...IMO if cut and you had snow on it for a week then there might be some damage....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,915 ✭✭✭Marhay70

Problem is not so much with damage to the grass as with damage to the soil. Walking on water saturated ground compacts it and prevents air from circulating. This in turn leads to grass root die off and encourages weeds and moss.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Hmmm.. good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Anatom

The maintenance people are mowing the grass around the buildings this morning opposite my office..!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,607 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

From www.garden.ie today

Gerry Daly's advice:

Lawn

Begin regular lawn mowing, if not already done, as there is normally quite a bit of grass growth during the winter in most parts and there can be a large amount of grass to remove.
    A heavy growth of grass may require two cuts - the first at a high setting to take off the top growth and a second mowing lower down.
    Apply lawn mosskiller if there is heavy moss growth.
    It is still a bit early for lawn feeding as the fertilizer can be washed away.
    If new areas of lawn are to be sown in spring, the ground should be cultivated if possible. If there are weeds present, these should be controlled or removed.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised that Gerry would recommend mowing grass before allowing the ground to dry out a bit. Was this just part of a gardening calendar or was he speaking specifically to someone? There was quite a lot of rain this week again, particularly Tuesday.

I think it was his tip for the current date we are at.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

I got a lad out 2 weeks ago to aerate the lawn, looks much better now as opposed to this time last year. Got the mower serviced too, so I'm all set for the next dry spell to give it it's first cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,343 ✭✭✭topmanamillion

I would never cut my lawn until there's decent growth at least. April /May
    The reason a lot of people need to feed their lawns is because they've removed a lot of the leaves and organic material which feeds the lawn by mowing too early.
    Just my own opinion of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

My gardens are looking like a paddock, huge amount of growth over the winter. Unfortunately cannot get in to cut it, its very much waterlogged. Would just end up leaving huge tracks from ride on mower. It's a heavy clay area... just have to wait for it to dry out :(

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,092 ✭✭✭✭beertons

First cut just done. Grass was reasonably dry. Looks well now.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Looks like dry weather in second half of the week. Would a high setting cut on ride on be ok this time of year. Grass really high. 8-10 inches

Was thinking the same myself, but I am sure the grass is sodden, there was heavy rain over the last few days as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

secman wrote: »
    My gardens are looking like a paddock, huge amount of growth over the winter. Unfortunately cannot get in to cut it, its very much waterlogged. Would just end up leaving huge tracks from ride on mower. It's a heavy clay area... just have to wait for it to dry out :(

Managed to get a cut 2 weekends ago.. looking much better.. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 goodrich girl

Wondering the same thing, hoping for a dry spell to do it this weekend

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,529 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

you're in luck, the forecast is looking good up to and including the weekend.

With the current dry spell I am going to get a run at the grass over the next couple of days.

Do a high cut tomorrow, then a slightly lower one on the next few days. Get it back into shape.

Lets hope MetEireann's 5 day forecast is accurate, not a hint of any rain at all
    http://www.met.ie/forecasts/5day-ireland.asp

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭grouchyman

The lawn will get its first cut today. Not much grass - plenty of moss though. Might try and get moss killer for the weekend if the pocket will take it. Expensive stuff. What's best for killing moss.

grouchyman wrote: »
    The lawn will get its first cut today. Not much grass - plenty of moss though. Might try and get moss killer for the weekend if the pocket will take it. Expensive stuff. What's best for killing moss.

Lawn sand is probably the most effective remedy but like all proprietary remedies it is a short term solution, you really need to get to the root (no pun intended) of the problem, which is most likely shade or waterlogging. Improving drainage is probably the best long term solution for moss.
    Ironically, the weather forecast at the moment is not the best for applying lawn sand, if you intend to apply it this weekend you will need to water afterwards as it can burn the grass. Make sure you stick to the manufacturer's instructions.

Cut done yesterday.

Another today.

Maybe another over the weekend. Then maybe a feed a few days after that, I'm sure there must be a bit of rain on the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

Marhay70 wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Gerry would recommend mowing grass before allowing the ground to dry out a bit.

That depends on your lawn, some peoples gardens/ground is well drained / dry

Arkady wrote: »
    That depends on your lawn, some peoples gardens/ground is well drained / dry

That's not in doubt, nor is the possibility of growing sweet potatoes outdoors in somebody's garden in north Antrim in some years, it's just not the case for everybody in every year.
    It has been established that the advice given by Gerry Daly was part of a general calendar of dates of what is to be generally expected in any given year but this year has been exceptional. For example, here in the "sunny" South East in January, we had eleven consecutive days on which heavy rain fell, almost unheard of. Generally over the winter months, rainfall was measured in multiples of normal.
    If it's one thing I've learned over the years it's that micro climates and micro conditions can occur almost anywhere and if your garden, or anybody elses remained dry over this past winter then consider yourselves the exceptions to the rule.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Shania Twain was right - the first cut IS the deepest.

4 hours cutting the lawn twice there on Wednesday. Have a few bags of 4-in-1 ready to go for when the forecast predicts some showers. For now it seems like dry weather for another week.

More than a few bastarding thistles nestled in over winter/spring and I await the usual onslaught of docks in the coming month or two aswell. So it begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Shania Twain was right - the first cut IS the deepest.

4 hours cutting the lawn twice there on Wednesday. Have a few bags of 4-in-1 ready to go for when the forecast predicts some showers. For now it seems like dry weather for another week.

More than a few bastarding thistles nestled in over winter/spring and I await the usual onslaught of docks in the coming month or two aswell. So it begins.

Actually no she isn't right if she were talking about lawn maintenance, the conventional wisdom has always been to never cut more that 1/3 off the top, now unless the experts have changed that in the last fews anything other that that practice is not beneficial to your lawn, but maybe we should ask Shania:pac::rolleyes:.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 18,115 ✭✭✭✭ShiverinEskimo

Ok Captain Serious - let's discuss it. Sticking with these experts you're a fan of, a third of long grass after the winter is longer than a third of short grass during the summer. So, for my lawn anyway, the first cut IS normally the deepest and yet still keeps the so-called experts happy.

Shania was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Arkady

That's not in doubt, nor is the possibility of growing sweet potatoes outdoors in somebody's garden in north Antrim in some years, it's just not the case for everybody in every year.
    It has been established that the advice given by Gerry Daly was part of a general calendar of dates of what is to be generally expected in any given year but this year has been exceptional. For example, here in the "sunny" South East in January, we had eleven consecutive days on which heavy rain fell, almost unheard of. Generally over the winter months, rainfall was measured in multiples of normal.
    If it's one thing I've learned over the years it's that micro climates and micro conditions can occur almost anywhere and if your garden, or anybody elses remained dry over this past winter then consider yourselves the exceptions to the rule.

Grand, but even though we had exceptionally heavy rain in a far wetter part of Ireland, and our ground is dry enough for cutting as it's well drained, and so is a lot of peoples. If yours is not dry enough, that's hardly Gerry's fault, he can't be expected to issue special advice for every microclimate as you say. Wait a few weeks, or put in some drainage if you can't wait each year.

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

Ok Captain Serious - let's discuss it. Sticking with these experts you're a fan of, a third of long grass after the winter is longer than a third of short grass during the summer. So, for my lawn anyway, the first cut IS normally the deepest and yet still keeps the so-called experts happy.

Shania was right.

Ah you see, that's where you're doing it wrong, there is no such thing as a first cut or for that matter a last cut, if you are doing it right. You simply cut your lawn as and when it needs it, and if you follow that simple rule then it can not get too long.
    Shania may have been right about love etc, but she knows fukall about lawns;):pac:

I wouldn't kick her off my lawn for taking too much off.

Ill get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Lawn sand is probably the most effective remedy but like all proprietary remedies it is a short term solution, you really need to get to the root (no pun intended) of the problem, which is most likely shade or waterlogging. Improving drainage is probably the best long term solution for moss.
    Ironically, the weather forecast at the moment is not the best for applying lawn sand, if you intend to apply it this weekend you will need to water afterwards as it can burn the grass. Make sure you stick to the manufacturer's instructions.

Can you explain a bit more on the lawn sand, will it really help with moss?
    As i know someone may have took it a bit literally and all you can see is more sand than grass:rolleyes:

What would you use for drainage?

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Can you explain a bit more on the lawn sand, will it really help with moss?
    As i know someone may have took it a bit literally and all you can see is more sand than grass:rolleyes:

What would you use for drainage?

Thanks.

Lawn sand is basically a chemical lawn tonic combined with moss killer, the chemical is mixed with sand to make it easy to distribute over the affected area ans also helps identifiy already treated areas so you don't overdose which is why I said to follow instructions carefully. Lawn sand is readily available from garden centres or the likes of Woodies or B&Q.

As to what to do about drainage? It's like asking how long is a piece of string.
    It can be as simple as using a hollow tined fork and filling the resulting holes with grit or sand, or as complicated as laying a network of drainage pipes. There are many factors to consider, such as the extent of the waterlogging, the stage your garden is at, your soil type and of course, how much you are prepared to spend.
    If your house is a new build your problem may be from builders' machines compacting the soil but it also gives the opportunity to dig it all out and lay drainage pipes plus the opportunity to put in some decent topsoil.
    Some years ago, somebody posted an excellent account of their work in installing land drainage, complete with a pictorial record. Perhaps some of the regular posters on this forum have kept it as a bookmark. If anybody has it or knows how to access it perhaps they would post it. It must be stressed though that what this poster did was an extreme case.
    I would suggest you pick up a copy of "The Lawn Expert" by D.G. Hessayon for some good advice on how to look after your lawn, you can pick one up on Amazon, second hand, for a few pence plus P&P.

Advertisement