Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving Abroad - advice

Options
  • 10-02-2016 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭

Just a quick one, if I was to move to another country within the EU but keep working for an Irish based company (remotely) - what would be the tax implications? Im useless at these types of things so all help appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It depends. Some info here http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/taxes/index_en.htm

My guess - you would either be considered a freelancer by the new country and pay tax there, or your company would start paying you at a bank in the new country and you'd pay tax there.

How long are we talking, weeks, months, years? Will you try to get bank account etc in new country?

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Thanks Biko - appreciate you coming back to me.

Its still in the thought process to be honest, but if all went to plan, years.

I guess i would setup a bank account there if possible, but again, not sure of the implications.If I was a freelancer there, would I only be paying tax in that country, or would I need to pay tax in Ireland also?
    biko wrote: »
    It depends. Some info here http://europa.eu/youreurope/citizens/work/taxes/index_en.htm

My guess - you would either be considered a freelancer by the new country and pay tax there, or your company would start paying you at a bank in the new country and you'd pay tax there.

How long are we talking, weeks, months, years? Will you try to get bank account etc in new country?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

How about start by asking HR at your company? They may have dealt with this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭Slipshaney

Thanks biko will do
    biko wrote: »
    How about start by asking HR at your company? They may have dealt with this before.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Aprilmay

I live in the USA my husband still works for the same Irish company he does so remotely, we chose to pay the into the USA tax system

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

You pay tax where you are legally resident.

Aprilmay wrote: »
    I live in the USA my husband still works for the same Irish company he does so remotely, we chose to pay the into the USA tax system

If you are resident in the USA the IRS requires that you fill out a tax return.

You dont get any choice in the matter. The penalties for not filing can mean a small amount owed quickly balloons into a large sum.

https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/ireland.html

My husbands company is Irish based in Dublin,we have lived here less than five years according to the agreement we could still be paying our taxes to Ireland. His company gave him the choice.

Aprilmay wrote: »
    https://www.ssa.gov/international/Agreement_Pamphlets/ireland.html

My husbands company is Irish based in Dublin,we have lived here less than five years according to the agreement we could still be paying our taxes to Ireland. His company gave him the choice.

That link is for Social Security (retirement) not Income Tax though. It is a tax that is withheld from your paycheck though but they're two very different agencies.

Federal income tax is administered by the Internal Revenue Service. Irs.gov

There is also State income Tax.

No doubt your company knows what its doing. What kind of Visa is he on?

I was always under the impression that all US residents (in the country 300+ days a year) have to file a tax return (to the IRS), even if they owe nothing.

We pay into the US system, we'd pay way more tax into the Irish system with his salary. It was something we looked at.
    There are options for Irish people who are employed by Irish companies and whom are living in the USA that are here for the time periods listed in the link I posted.

• Advertisement
Advertisement