Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Overdrawn charges

• 10-02-2016 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

I feel as I have no choice but to close my boi account. Regularly my account balance changes both online and when I ring 365. I understand that pending transactions take time to appear on my account but even when all the transactions show up and my balance is correct a couple of days later a transaction disappears from the history and my balance is wrong again. At the weekend my balance was at 0.00 on Thursday with all the transactions I had made showing in the history. On Friday evening my balance changed to 500 euro I thought nothing of this as I was expecting that amount to come through from my wages. I therefore spent 100 using my card online through various transactions over the weekend. My balance then stayed at 400 until Tuesday when it changed to being overdrawn. I then had to pay 100 euro for 10 overdrawn charges from my account. I would have not incurred these charges had my account balance being correct and as I don't have an overdraft boi should not have allowed me to spend money which was not in my account. I contacted customer services but there is nothing that can be done to get back the 100 euro I paid for overdrawn charges. Very disappointing. I will try ptsb now as they don't seem to have these issues.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭usernamegoes

Consider Number 26. They have instant balance notifications and I found even contactless transactions are instant while BoI take 3 days to show up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭stryker mcqueen

Emma08 wrote:
    I feel as I have no choice but to close my boi account. Regularly my account balance changes both online and when I ring 365. I understand that pending transactions take time to appear on my account but even when all the transactions show up and my balance is correct a couple of days later a transaction disappears from the history and my balance is wrong again. At the weekend my balance was at 0.00 on Thursday with all the transactions I had made showing in the history. On Friday evening my balance changed to 500 euro I thought nothing of this as I was expecting that amount to come through from my wages. I therefore spent 100 using my card online through various transactions over the weekend. My balance then stayed at 400 until Tuesday when it changed to being overdrawn. I then had to pay 100 euro for 10 overdrawn charges from my account. I would have not incurred these charges had my account balance being correct and as I don't have an overdraft boi should not have allowed me to spend money which was not in my account. I contacted customer services but there is nothing that can be done to get back the 100 euro I paid for overdrawn charges. Very disappointing. I will try ptsb now as they don't seem to have these issues.

Im in the exact same position , ive actually gotten used to it but it still annoys me , they actually credited my account about a month ago by 450 , now i knew this was a mistake and as i said I'm used to it , but it's defo not good enough!! That was on a Saturday and they debited it again the following Tuesday , customer services couldn't explain it

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Emma08

Consider Number 26. They have instant balance notifications and I found even contactless transactions are instant while BoI take 3 days to show up.

Thanks I might give them a try!

Im in the exact same position , ive actually gotten used to it but it still annoys me , they actually credited my account about a month ago by 450 , now i knew this was a mistake and as i said I'm used to it , but it's defo not good enough!! That was on a Saturday and they debited it again the following Tuesday , customer services couldn't explain it

That's exactly what happened to me really annoying and again customer services had no explanation for it

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,921 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

I've found PTSB good, and all my pending transactions show straight away on my online banking, including contactless ones. Also it actually shows what each pending transaction is ie Centra, Tesco, etc as opposed to BOI where it just shows 'Debit Card'

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,356 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Emma08 wrote: »
    I would have not incurred these charges had my account balance being correct and as I don't have an overdraft boi should not have allowed me to spend money which was not in my account. I contacted customer services but there is nothing that can be done to get back the 100 euro I paid for overdrawn charges. Very disappointing. I will try ptsb now as they don't seem to have these issues.

You would not have incurred these charges had you kept track of your transactions. If you can't be bothered to keep track of your transactions and reconcile them to the bank balance, then it really does not matter which bank you go with as sooner you'll end up in the same situation. The bank can only deal with the transactions it knows about and you are the only one who knows which transactions it does not know about, therefore at any give time you are the only one who can figure out the true balance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

Jim2007 wrote: »
    You would not have incurred these charges had you kept track of your transactions. If you can't be bothered to keep track of your transactions and reconcile them to the bank balance, then it really does not matter which bank you go with as sooner you'll end up in the same situation. The bank can only deal with the transactions it knows about and you are the only one who knows which transactions it does not know about, therefore at any give time you are the only one who can figure out the true balance.

PTSB show up instantly, unless its contactless.
    So the op would not be in the same position if they constantly check.
    It is is a good idea to know what you're spending!

dobsdave wrote: »
    PTSB show up instantly, unless its contactless.
    So the op would not be in the same position if they constantly check.
    It is is a good idea to know what you're spending!

I am well aware of that but the issue was that I was due an amount in that day so when my balance went from 0.00 to 500 I assumed that it had gone in so spent accordingly. All transactions from the week were on my account there was none missing there was no pending transactions my balance just showed up as incorrect for a couple of days. If I wasn't expecting money in of course I would have known it was an error and not touched it.

I totally understand pending transactions changing the account balance obviously but regularly the balance changes for no reason which can be annoying. I only use this account for my 2nd job wages to go into so there's rarely transactions on it but the balance changes several times a month for no reason.

Advertisement