Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grouse thread - mutter mutter

• 10-02-2016 8:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭

The dinner is just about ready to serve, and his nibs advises me that today is a fast day.

After 40-odd years of observing fast days (including in the days when fish cost a lot more than meat) I am aware of this fact. This protestant come atheist has had a lot of practise in knowing fast days, feast days, holy days and mass times.

So the dinner is salmon, baked potatoes, mushrooms, broccoli and marie-rose sauce (admittedly the easy one :D). All is well.

But the blood pressure rises at being told as the dinner is ready that there might be an issue. Not that the issue matters since he is exempt both by age and health. In theory.

Flippin 'eck, if you are going to require a special diet at least have the decency to mention it earlier! :mad: :pac:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

I would have thought when he smelled the dinner cooking he might have mentioned it! Quite a lemon drop for you Looksee, I feel your pain. I don't do fasting any more, this Protestant has given up all she loves already (i.e. chocolate) so piling more misery on me is only going to make me grumpy, not saintly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,875 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Ah thanks Jelly, no pain really, just a bit of aggravation :D

Oh hang on, no, this is the grouse thread. Try again...grumble mutter, people who can't sort out their own notions etc etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

Every time someone on the wireless says "prossess" I switch off.
    Don't listen anymore.
    Anyone else hate "prossess"?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭garancafan

Yes. My computer insists on putting a squiggly red line under it.

• Advertisement

Every time someone on the wireless says "prossess" I switch off.
    Don't listen anymore.
    Anyone else hate "prossess"?

Do you mean they say 'praw-sess' instead of 'proh-sess'? Yeah, its annoying when seemingly educated people mispronounce words. I come across that sort of thing on TV and radio, a lot!

Misplaced hyphens and stray apostrophes are also on my grumble list!

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Floody Boreland

In forums a lot and occasionally newspaper items the word "been" instead of "being". Maybe the fault of predictive text I am not sure.

Also "taught" instead of "thought" and "thread" for "tread".

"Oxymoron" for "contradiction in terms" and "organic" for just about everything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

Using "of" instead of (sic) "..'ve". I should of slapped the last person that did that...

You should have kicked him in the pluperfects.

• Advertisement

What about the syntactically inappropriate starting of a sentence with "so"?
    This seems to be all the rage.

garancafan wrote: »
    What about the syntactically inappropriate starting of a sentence with "so"?
    This seems to be all the rage.

It was said to me recently by a friend with school going children that teachers no longer teach grammar correctly, and in some classes, don't teach it at all. My primary school teacher taught correct spelling and correct grammar until it poured out of our ears. On the other hand, I don't think that 'so' at the beginning of a sentence is bad grammar per se, however, it is definitely overused these days and usually used unnecessarily. It is just habit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

The teachers don't know grammar either. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The teachers don't know grammar either. :(

As a husband of a teacher, and father of two teachers, I can assure you that they certainly know their grammar.
    My grouse is stereotyping and generalisations which have crept into any and every discussion in this country in recent years.

As a husband of a teacher, and father of two teachers, I can assure you that they certainly know their grammar.
    My grouse is stereotyping and generalisations which have crept into any and every discussion in this country in recent years.

:p

looksee wrote: »
    :p

Yes, I thought so myself as I typed it but decided to let the irony stand as a reinforcement of the point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,551 ✭✭✭Rubecula

my gran used to ensure my grammar was decent .... I really miss her gentle soul. and the stick she used to hit the information in with.

doctors (gp) can be a real pain at times, well not the doctors themselves but the ould haridans they use as receptionists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Alice1

I'd love to know what a "harridan" really is....

a doctor's receptionist? :D

• Advertisement

Alice1 wrote: »
    I'd love to know what a "harridan" really is....

It's defined as 'an angry or unpleasant woman' and is thought to come from French for an old horse.

For a man it would be 'curmudgeon' I suppose.

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    For a man it would be 'curmudgeon' I suppose.

There's no male equivalent, as men don't ever display such traits. ;)

Miscreant, s probably the closest.

There's no male equivalent, as men don't ever display such traits. ;)

Go 'way with that! And I'm with Jellybaby, curmudgeon is closest!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭nompere

Chatting to most of my (male) friends, we would see "curmudgeon" as a badge of honour.

harridan synonyms: shrew · virago · harpy · termagant · vixen · nag · hag · crone · dragon · ogress · fishwife · hellcat · she-devil · fury · gorgon · martinet · tartar · spitfire · old bag · old bat · old trout · old cow · bitch · battleaxe · witch · scold · Xanthippe

curmudgeon synonyms: bad-tempered person · crank · crosspatch · sourpuss · old trout · a bear with a sore head · kvetch · sorehead

So who is Xanthippe then? *goes off muttering to look her up* :D

this particular crank is away to bed

No water for me tea tonight. Buggah! Mutter, mutter. What did come out of the tap tasted vile then when I tried to make another pot o'tea there was no water atall atall! Double buggah! Mutter, mutter. Council website says its due to unprecedented demand due to weather conditions. What unprecedented demand? Is anyone taking two baths a day all of a sudden? No, they're not! Is anyone washing their car night, noon and morning? No, they're not! But it is more likely due to (a) silly people leaving taps running so they don't freeze. But temperature today in Dublin is 6 degrees, certainly not freezing. More likely cause (b) is flippin' leaks which is not our fault.......so now, give me tea someone or I'll be grumpy till daylight! Mutter, mutter.

• Advertisement

JB why not call round hon I have plenty of fresh water here in Welsh Wales

Thank you Rube, most kind, but the bus fare to your house is too expensive. I have tasted tea made with pure fresh natural spring water (not 'Peckham Spring'!!) and it is just heavenly. Council water on the other hand is not so heavenly. I've filled a couple of saucepans of water today so I can have my tea tonight.

Thank you Rube, most kind, but the bus fare to your house is too expensive. I have tasted tea made with pure fresh natural spring water (not 'Peckham Spring'!!) and it is just heavenly. Council water on the other hand is not so heavenly. I've filled a couple of saucepans of water today so I can have my tea tonight.

I could lend you my teasmaid as I never use it anymore :D

Are those still produced?

Must be an antique! :D

looksee wrote: »
    Are those still produced?

Not got a clue:rolleyes:
    Must be an antique! :D

possible but not that old :p:p

It is a Goblin made one and it is in its box

• Advertisement

Definitely pure vintage, that one! Must sound like a Massey Ferguson tractor coming over the hills! :D Tell me I'm wrong now!

more like a two hundred tom baby gurgling over the hill :)
    I bought it to replace one that was stolen in a burglary at my place. it was a great one that first one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Not quite sure what you are talking about but there is a farmer here who seems to have lost the exhaust on his tractor. He turns at the crossroads near the house... no wonder they call it a muffler in the states. Never heard the like.

• Advertisement
Advertisement