Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Oil Change Query - Black smoke

• 10-02-2016 8:43pm

Hey,

Changed the oil filter and oil in my bike today, I used the manuals specifications regards how much oil and it is at the right level in the window so I am happy with that. When I started it after a minute blackish smoke came from the exhaust,this is not from oil spilled on the headers as its actually coming from the exhaust. The exhaust never spewed black smoke before.

I turned it off after a couple of minutes in case I had too much oil and didnt want to damage it, but looking at the level I dont. Anyone have any ideas?
    Do I need to give it a blast to properly judge? Im wondering is it just carbon being burned off from the cylinders.

Bike is a K7 gsxr 600

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

Did the oil light go out promptly when you fired it up? Did the smoke ease up at all during the couple of minutes? How much oil did you put in?
    No need to go for a blast really. I think I'd check it out stationary.

Did the oil light go out promptly when you fired it up? Did the smoke ease up at all during the couple of minutes? How much oil did you put in?
    No need to go for a blast really. I think I'd check it out stationary.

There was no oil light before I changed the oil and no oil light came up after I changed it. Unless it comes up when you start the bike and disappears and I didn't notice it.

Put in 2.5 liters which is what the manual says to put in with a filter change, I can see its just below the top line in the sight glass.

Tbh when I first did it it seemed fine for a few minutes and then blackish smoke started so I killed the engine. Then I fired it up about half an hour later and blackish smoke started after about a minute on idle. I haven't left it on when the black smoke appears I killed the engine straight away just to be safe.
    Smoke seemed to ease a small bit, it definitely didn't get any worse as I left it on.

Im wondering should I leave it idle for maybe 15 minutes and see does it clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

You probably poured the oil in to fast, and some pooled around the valve stems. Take it for a short ride, it should clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭two wheels good

You probably poured the oil in to fast, and some pooled around the valve stems. Take it for a short ride, it should clear.

I was thinking; where's the filler cap on a gsxr?

Shirley, there's an oil pressure light. As long as the oil light goes out when you start it and the level looks right I'd run it for a while.

Yeah i poured it in very fast.

On a side note, I bought the bike recently and the guy had enough oil in it but barely barely enough. Im hoping the bare minimum oil wasn't to hide a valve problem or something that only surfaced when I filled it to the maximum level,the father has me demented with his theories of what they guy could have been hiding doing this.

• Advertisement

I was thinking; where's the filler cap on a gsxr?

Shirley, there's an oil pressure light. As long as the oil light goes out when you start it and the level looks right I'd run it for a while.

Its the top part of the side engine cover, out of curiosity how can it get on the valves from too fast pouring?
    Id say their must be light, it dissapears though because I couldn't see it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

If I remember correctly, blue smoke= burning oil, black smoke= burning fuel.

Check the choke. is it idling at the right revs, check the idle screw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,031 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Did you use the correct grade oil?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 873 ✭✭✭spiggotpaddy

My bad , I was still in car mode. Scratch my last post. Obviously the oil goes in from the clutch side, nowhere near the head.
    Must be tired.

Del2005 wrote: »
    Did you use the correct grade oil?

yeah 10-40 semi synth

• Advertisement

So I just let it idle for a half an hour today, checked the oil level again and the black smoke went after a while and hasn't come back.

Engine sounds much smoother after I changed the air filter and plugs today. (Sports bikes are some bastard to work on :) )

Thanks for all the tips.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Mr Sheen!

Are you sure you checked the oil level correctly??

Is it meant to be on the side stand or up right when checking?

If its at the full marker while on the side it would be a very different reading when up right

Mr Sheen! wrote: »
    Are you sure you checked the oil level correctly??

Is it meant to be on the side stand or up right when checking?

If its at the full marker while on the side it would be a very different reading when up right

Yeah, according to the service manual let it idle for 7 mins, turn it off for 3 and check off the side stand bike up right. Did that and it was spot on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Any pics of the new bike Goose?

DaveD wrote: »
    Any pics of the new bike Goose?

Yeah man. Needs a bit of tlc on the bodywork but I love it.

bike.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭DaveD

Lovely. Best of luck with it. I had one for 4 years, great bike. Loved commuting on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Bridge9

burning oil is usually white....black smoke could be a fuel problem...too much.. did you change the air filter and plugs? if you changer one and not the other it might not be getting enough air and this would make it run a bit rich....maybe. worth thinking about.

Advertisement