Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading HTPC

Options
  • 10-02-2016 9:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭

I've got an old (2008) HTPC which I still use regularly but I'm finding has the following issues:

1) Slightly noisy
    2) A little slow opening some files
    3) Presumably inefficient although I haven't checked.

It's currently has:

Core 2 duo e7300
    4gb ram
    520W Corsair HX Series Modular PSU
    Passive Radeon 4800 GPU discrete card
    Hauppauge wintv hd 4000 for sat signal
    Samsung SSD 120GB

All housed in a Silverstone Grandia GD01

I'm thinking of upgrading to the following:

8GB-Kit Kingston HyperX Fury, DDR4-2133

MSI B150M MORTAR, Sockel 1151, mATX, DDR4

Intel Core i3-6100, 2x 3.70GHz, boxed

2tb HDD + original SSD

And using the integrated hd530 graphics instead of the discrete card which is old now anyway.

The main use of the PC will be web browsing, HD movie watching, sat decoding and recording.

Does the above upgrade sound like it will:

1) Be up to the task while permitting some basic casual gaming?

2) Allow a replacement of the PSU with a picopsu or some other quieter PSU?

I think the majority of the current noise of the system is from the PSU cause I have a ninja CPU cooler in place as well as a passive GPU so I have to guess the system is running high so the PSU fan is on all the time (this is a guess).

And finally, the normal place I'd buy the upgrades would be Amazon....any other recommendations? Hardwareversand seem a little cheaper but have no free shipping.

Advertisement