Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brown bread keeps bursting on top

Options
  • 10-02-2016 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭

Hi
    Im new to making bread but having a frustrating problem.Whenever I make brown bread, it keeps bursting at the slit I put down the center of the loaf. It pours out over the side in the oven during baking. I'm not over filling the loaf tin and have cut back on the baking powder to see if this would stop it, but it hasn't.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    Hi
    Im new to making bread but having a frustrating problem.Whenever I make brown bread, it keeps bursting at the slit I put down the center of the loaf. It pours out over the side in the oven during baking. I'm not over filling the loaf tin and have cut back on the baking powder to see if this would stop it, but it hasn't.

Any advice would be great. Thanks in advance

Are you using baking powder or bread soda/bicarbonate of soda?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

The temp might be too hot?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Jimy1971

monkeynuz wrote: »
    Are you using baking powder or bread soda/bicarbonate of soda?

Baking powder

• Registered Users Posts: 3,342 ✭✭✭phormium

Post the recipe/method/oven temp you are using.

400g wholewheat flour
    75g plain flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    375ml buttermilk
    1 tblsp honey
    1 tsp oil
    1 egg
    I'm cooking at 180. Whenever I slit the loaf, it's bursting along it. Tried different depths but it keeps happening. Tried no slit and it bursts on the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi, I would try bicarbonate of soda, which is used with buttermilk, what size tin are you using?
    it sounds like a Darina Allen recipe,
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/lifestyle/foodanddrink/darinaallen/simply-nutritious-brown-bread-48695.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭monkeynuz

Jimy1971 wrote: »
    400g wholewheat flour
    75g plain flour
    1 tsp salt
    1 tsp baking powder
    375ml buttermilk
    1 tblsp honey
    1 tsp oil
    1 egg
    I'm cooking at 180. Whenever I slit the loaf, it's bursting along it. Tried different depths but it keeps happening. Tried no slit and it bursts on the side.

Baking powder is completely wrong, it should be bread soda/bicarbonate of soda (same thing)

Agreed, bread soda is what should be used with buttermilk. See if that fixes your problem.

It will kind of burst out through the split as it rises, this would be relatively normal, the split will not be a neat split when it's baked but it should rise up fairly evenly along the split, shouldn't be pouring out over the side unless tin is too full.

phormium wrote: »
    Agreed, bread soda is what should be used with buttermilk. See if that fixes your problem.

It will kind of burst out through the split as it rises, this would be relatively normal, the split will not be a neat split when it's baked but it should rise up fairly evenly along the split, shouldn't be pouring out over the side unless tin is too full.

How deep should the slit be?

Inch or so, it's really just to help the heat get in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32 ceemgee

I must say I have never heard of using baking powder and buttermilk, as the usual thing would be baking soda (bicarb). It seems that the bread is trying to rise and then cracking open, as it is too heavy to rise like a cake would. Baking soda should do the trick.

Advertisement