Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon's Lumberyard Engine

• 10-02-2016 9:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,450 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

Anyone take a look at Amazon's new Lumberyard engine announced yesterday?
    You can take a look at it here

I've kicked off the download, it's 10GB so will be a while but the minimum specs are higher than my laptop's :D
    Q. What are the system requirements for building a game with the Lumberyard Editor and tools?
    We recommend you use a PC with Windows 7 64-bit, 8+ GB RAM, 60 GB of storage, a 3GHz+ quad-core processor, and a 2+ GB DX11+ compatible video card.

Really looking forward to getting to grips with this, it looks quite impressive.

Some screenshots below:
    lumberyard-meadow.png
    Sunset Meadow – Created with Amazon Lumberyard

lumberyard-room.png
    Alien Abode – Created with Amazon Lumberyard

lumberyard-diner.png
    Lumberyard Diner – Created with Amazon Lumberyard

lumberyard-gold-purse.png
    Buccaneer's Frugality – Created with Amazon Lumberyard

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Definitely going to keep an eye on it but they have a decent way to go before it's a better option than Unreal or even Unity imo.

It's essentially CryEngine with a range of online-centric integrations and improvements but their documentation is currently lacking and it doesn't appear that they've made any improvements to the asset pipeline which is still severely limited in comparison to other engines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8 sillanjw

Yeah it certainly looks amazing. However seeing a few engines like this emerge over the years, it's best to leave them time to mature. The developers won't have gotten everything right from the start, although I'm sure they've done a good job.

Overall seems amazing, a pity that Android and iOS support hasn't yet been released with it (although they're releasing it soon).
    Cool to see they've included PBS and Dynamic GI. I'm currently using Unity which just added those in the 5x cycle.
    Would love to see what you come up with using the engine :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

sillanjw wrote: »
    Yeah it certainly looks amazing. However seeing a few engines like this emerge over the years, it's best to leave them time to mature. The developers won't have gotten everything right from the start, although I'm sure they've done a good job.

Overall seems amazing, a pity that Android and iOS support hasn't yet been released with it (although they're releasing it soon).
    Cool to see they've included PBS and Dynamic GI. I'm currently using Unity which just added those in the 5x cycle.
    Would love to see what you come up with using the engine :D
    On the aesthetics side of things, remember this is CryEngine at its core so its renderer was always going to be its strong point. The areas they need to improve on are essentially the same ones as Crytek needed to work on so hopefully with the financial backing of Amazon they can work on that.

Advertisement