Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying a house in a remote location at 62 years old.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Danjken

riclad wrote: »
    My advice is buy a house within 5 or 10 minutes walk of a rural town ,
    you,ll have a cheap house ,while having easy acess to shops and medical
    services .
    A Town maybe with 20-30 thousand residents ,
    one with a hospital and a few doctors .
    Forget about buying in a remote location .
    The closer to town you are they easier it is to get broadband,tv,
    or a phone service .

Great advice! Heck, why not move into the local nursing home while you're at it? You can sit staring at a screen soaking up all that TV and Broadband to your heart's content. And no need to open the front door to talk to your neighbours, they'll be sitting right next to you all day! Best of all, you won't even have to walk down the street to see a doctor - they'll be right there in the building, so when you die of boredom they'll be sure to sign your death certificate in double quick time! Because who wants to live out their dreams when you can take the easy life! That's why we're put here, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Danjken wrote: »
    Great advice! Heck, why not move into the local nursing home while you're at it? You can sit staring at a screen soaking up all that TV and Broadband to your heart's content. And no need to open the front door to talk to your neighbours, they'll be sitting right next to you all day! Best of all, you won't even have to walk down the street to see a doctor - they'll be right there in the building, so when you die of boredom they'll be sure to sign your death certificate in double quick time! Because who wants to live out their dreams when you can take the easy life! That's why we're put here, right?

Oh dear! If you read anything like that in any of my posts then you need glasses. REALLY! Everyone has their own ideas and all have a part to play in any debate..and in any major decision. At heading for 80 at an alarming rate, I for one have never any intention of SHUDDERS a nursing home..My far fling family know this and have my power of attorney...I live in a far more remote area than the OPs idea and none of what others fear worries me. In fact I embrace this. BUT some folk ARE scared of isolation. I get asked that frequently; they need people on call, street noises, shops nearby....Nothing wrong with that, and yes they need elder care too when that time comes and no need for scorn. There are some lovely posts here on all that and some great honesty. You are an extremist my dear! All my intention here is to give the OP the info to think it through fully and to avoid a disaster. Period. I am a born loner and that is fine too but few rally can live as I do; I too am an extremist but never criticise those who are not. We are all different and that is wonderful too... There is however a danger in dreaming so blindly. Dreams are grand but need the light of reality too to make them be fulfilled. Someone wrote with dread re living at the end of a long boreen; that is my idea of heaven on earth. Their way, my way.. not mine to judge.

Thargor wrote: »
    OP, would you think about spending your money on a decent camper van with all the mod cons instead (Or even better a decent caravan and a reliable vehicle to tow it)? Use it for 6 months of the year and store it or take it to warmer climates in the Winter with the money you save, I think it would tick all the comfort/adventure/interesting location boxes for you without risking tying up all your savings in a mess like this.

Oh sheer heaven!!! A wonderful idea!

seamus wrote: »
    I know this thread has moved on, but I want to add one more echo to the rest that buying a doer-upper on a large site in a remote location at 62 years of age is a little bit of madness.

Summer is OK, you can potter around outside to your heart's content and breathe in the fresh air. But come the winter (especially a winter like the one we've had), it'll be dark, windy and raining, and you've the heating and the fire burning constantly to try and keep you warm. Then the wind knocks out your power overnight and you're left with no phone, no TV, just sitting beside a candle reading a book and hoping ESB network are working on your power :)

For a far smaller price you might be able to get your hands on a nice cottage on half an acre instead, arrive in March or April, tend the gardens, enjoy the air, then lock her up in October/November and go back to where you are now, throwing some local farmer a few quid to keep an eye on it. Best of both worlds, a nice rural location to relax and enjoy without the crippling isolation during the winter.

None of the above does anything but delight me. I have no TV and no ordinary phone..Power outages are very rare and I am multi fuelled. I spend hours just reading and knitting with a small lamp and dress warmly indoors. OP I would be your caretaker gladly!!! Maybe the little place at Lauragh I mentioned? BUT that place is not even a doer upper... A demolition job; you would need around half a million euros. And a trailer to live in meanwhile. Here is a laugh....and a lesson in wariness. I am much abed just now and restless so am looking at houses and sites etc. I mentioned an island off Belmullet,, E30,000 for a house needing renovation and nine acres of land... YAY!! A ruined church, reached by boat.. then I googled! Sure is an island! Even found a photo. No boats etc in winter , no roads, just a windswept stormy and stormed place with a village in ruins! No mention of that on the estate agent blurb.. they earn their living by selling. So that Majella, the agent, says the Ops idea needs demolishing I take that very very seriously indeed... Hoping out tomorrow and will have a look at the Lauragh house from the outside, I am puzzled as I queried at a while back and they emailed that it was right on the road; can the syco or someone see if what I think is correct, that it is set back and on an old " roadway"? Great fun and no chance for me.

My reply wasn't directed at you Graces7. I don't know why you'd think it was considering I was quoting someone else. It sounds like you're living exactly where you want to (within your means) which I applaud.

People should do what works for them - I think we can agree on that - and the only way you find out what works for you is by taking chances on the things that feel right (even if they're daunting). I'm all for objective advice, but many of the replies in this thread are just making assumptions about what will and will not work for the OP. There's a consensus of 'don't take the risk, just take the safe option' which I absolutely disagree with, and I think it's important that viewpoint is represented.

If anything, my last reply was intended to make the point that being over 60 isn't a death sentence, but an opportunity. Granted, I may have overdone it a tad on the sarcasm!

• Advertisement

Graces7 wrote: »
    None of the above does anything but delight me. I have no TV and no ordinary phone..Power outages are very rare and I am multi fuelled. I spend hours just reading and knitting with a small lamp and dress warmly indoors.

Now this reply I love! Some of the many positives, which I'm sure others would appreciate as well. You and I aren't the only extremists who enjoy knitting and not having a television you know! ;)

My reply wasn't directed at you Graces7. I don't know why you'd think it was considering I was quoting someone else. It sounds like you're living exactly where you want to (within your means) which I applaud.

People should do what works for them - I think we can agree on that - and the only way you find out what works for you is by taking chances on the things that feel right (even if they're daunting). I'm all for objective advice, but many of the replies in this thread are just making assumptions about what will and will not work for the OP. There's a consensus of 'don't take the risk, just take the safe option' which I absolutely disagree with, and I think it's important that viewpoint is represented.

If anything, my last reply was intended to make the point that being over 60 isn't a death sentence, but an opportunity.

Oh I understand you BUT I do not think you see how many want their lives to be ie safe, quiet and why then take chances? So they are right to speak as they do as they do, totally right and fine and happy with that.. why take chances after all? Safe options are grand and there is no virtue in risk for risk's sake, surely? You of course disagree but not everyone agrees with you! You make it sound cowardly and end of the road where it is not. If I can find and ever get a place of peace for me, wonderful. A few quiet years of prayer and peace... Been to Clare ( online ) and this is my looked for place http://www.daft.ie/clare/houses-for-sale/crusheen/derrymore-crusheen-clare-731451/... but to many here that would be a hard place to be. A retreat for me. And good structure etc. It will not happen for me as there is no money etc so that is my life... a hard place. My impression was that the Op wanted the place BUT without the dilapidation.. the remoteness was the challenge not the rotten building. We do not all want risks; I do not after the life I have had and the illness i live with. Just peace and space and quietude.. Like most here but taking a different form ....

Risk for risk's sake is foolish. Risk for the chance of a happier more fulfilled life, however challenging, is courageous. Look back at your life. Most people regret things they didn't get the chance to do, not things that they risked but didn't work out as they hoped.

I've never tried to suggest that moving to somewhere remote is right for everyone. People should do what makes them happy. But this thread is about offering advice to someone who is considering it, and writes about the possibility with excitement, suggesting it might be right for them. If that was me and I read all these negative replies back in 2009 before moving to west Cork it might well have been enough to put me off. You have to balance the endless 'what if' warnings with some encouragement and positive experiences.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Seems your money goes a little farther in Donegal, my only concern is what’s it like for an outsider to live in Donegal?
    When I visit Ireland I usually stay to the south west in Galway, Clare, and Kerry. Never spent time in Donegal.

Here are a few I would consider…

http://www.daft.ie/donegal/houses-for-sale/ardara/brackey-ardara-donegal-1179447/

http://www.daft.ie/donegal/houses-for-sale/glencolmcille/straboy-glencolmcille-donegal-332593/

http://www.daft.ie/mayo/houses-for-sale/carrowteige/carrowteige-carrowteige-mayo-1137062/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If this was more off the beaten track... and if I could afford it... I'd jump at the chance to buy it.

http://www.daft.ie/mayo/houses-for-sale/lahardaun/aughalonteen-lahardaun-mayo-412223/

• Advertisement

Beautiful period house, but you’re right it’s too close to R315. You’d be listening to traffic all day, bus stops are close.

I live near a busy street now, Never Again!!!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Now, if we could move this house to that Kerry site... I think Grace would move in overnight, and Nomis21 would have to physically drag her out if it... :)

But yes, I don't think there's any point moving to the countryside if you have to put up with the same sounds you would have had in a large town...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

The thing is, any time anyone buys a property they should be asking questions and looking out for the pitfalls the estate agent won't be mentioning. It's not being negative or fearful. It's being realistic. Sometimes (as I did when I was house hunting) you've got to walk away from properties because there's a problem. It could be with the house itself, it could be with the area, it could be with the neighbourhood. You can't just don rose tinted glasses and ignore the problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

OK, the point i,m making is more than x distance from town its hard to get
    broadband . or cable tv, and taxis cost more .
    And its nice not to be far from medical services ,
    if you need em,
    when you buy a house you should think 10-20 years in advance .
    Most people i know did not need to use the services of a nursing home .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

riclad wrote: »
    OK, the point I'm making is more than x distance from town it's hard to get broadband or cable tv and taxis cost more .
    And it's nice not to be far from medical services if you need em. When you buy a house you should think 10-20 years in advance. Most people I know did not need to use the services of a nursing home .

Not everyone will agree with advice like this but is reading it a bad thing? I don't see anything wrong with someone reading this and thinking yes, they're willing to lose access to broadband and being able to get to the shops without any great trouble. The cable TV thing is a red herring - most people outside towns use satellite dishes anyway. As for hospitals, my guess is that most people work on the basis that either they'll move when they get sick enough or they'll cross that bridge when they come to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

I mentioned an island off Belmullet,, E30,000 for a house needing renovation and nine acres of land... YAY!!

A ruined church, reached by boat.. then I googled! Sure is an island!

Even found a photo. No boats etc in winter , no roads, just a windswept stormy and stormed place with a village in ruins! No mention of that on the estate agent blurb.. they earn their living by selling.
    Photo of house, March 2009.
    Hoping out tomorrow and will have a look at the Lauragh house from the outside, I am puzzled as I queried at a while back and they emailed that it was right on the road; can the syco or someone see if what I think is correct, that it is set back and on an old " roadway"? Great fun and no chance for me.
    This one? If it is, there what looks a farm at the end of the road. Could make for some traffic; animals and tractors alike. Maybe no so isolated.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Some rich person could buy that house live there in the summer maybe .
    Theres loads of apartments bought in new york which are empty most of the time .
    Bought by rich people .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

I would advise caution to anyone retiring to somewhere remote when they have no links to the area.
    Some friends of mine did this. They bought a cottage about 4 miles out of town when they were still relatively young, ie early 50's. They did it up, planted a large garden and lived a solitary life.
    They are now 70 years old, she is in a nursing home as a result of a stroke and he has dementia and isn't allowed to drive. Luckily he has a brother, who is also not well who comes in every day to visit.
    The children have all emigrated and are at the other side of the world and managing the finances with nursing home costs and trying to keep up the maintenance of the cottage is very hard. There is mold and mildew in every room and it's all such a worry. These old houses need a lot of looking after and if you are unwell and you try to save money on heating and maintenance, you soon end up with problems. In a way it would be better to rent that way the landlord would have to sort out problems.
    The main problem in this case is all tied up with power of attorneys, reluctance to accept the severity of the damp problems and an old man who just wants to stay in his home. It's not easy. I've always been one for the country life and seclusion, but now I think a modern little bungalow at the edge of town sounds better. I also don't think that man is meant to live alone. We are community animals and need each other to be happy. Some people turn their back on society, but no man is an island and we all depend on the welfare state when we can't look after ourselves. In a rural area, all the services are stretched.

I feel for them both, but I don't think their circumstances support your argument at all. The fact the old man just wants to stay in his home speaks volumes, and I'm sure they had 15 or so wonderful years living there as a couple. From our perspective it's a sad end, but I'm sure if you were to ask them now neither would regret moving there in their 50s.

On a related note, when deprivation is factored out life expectancy in rural areas is actually two years longer than urban areas. People who live in the country also have a lower incidence of many cancers and are less likely to suffer from heart disease in later life. Services might be stretched in the country, and I don't doubt it's hard if you're penniless, but there's no question that living in urban areas is worse for your health and longevity.

The thing is, any time anyone buys a property they should be asking questions and looking out for the pitfalls the estate agent won't be mentioning. It's not being negative or fearful. It's being realistic. Sometimes (as I did when I was house hunting) you've got to walk away from properties because there's a problem. It could be with the house itself, it could be with the area, it could be with the neighbourhood. You can't just don rose tinted glasses and ignore the problems.

I researched my island move for over a year; corresponded with folk up there etc, got the survey, got the financing etc. Knew exactly what I was going to .A total life style change and also the problems there will always be in a tiny island community, including active aggression made my move to Ireland a need after nine years and it was to an even more remote setting and life style. Even if I were rich I would still live as I do and give the rest to family working overseas with those who are really needy. Kerry is not an easy place to settle in unless you are a hermit type... does not worry me at all as I am very self contained. But I had had practice...

• Advertisement

I would advise caution to anyone retiring to somewhere remote when they have no links to the area.
    Some friends of mine did this. They bought a cottage about 4 miles out of town when they were still relatively young, ie early 50's. They did it up, planted a large garden and lived a solitary life.
    They are now 70 years old, she is in a nursing home as a result of a stroke and he has dementia and isn't allowed to drive. Luckily he has a brother, who is also not well who comes in every day to visit.
    The children have all emigrated and are at the other side of the world and managing the finances with nursing home costs and trying to keep up the maintenance of the cottage is very hard. There is mold and mildew in every room and it's all such a worry. These old houses need a lot of looking after and if you are unwell and you try to save money on heating and maintenance, you soon end up with problems. In a way it would be better to rent that way the landlord would have to sort out problems.
    The main problem in this case is all tied up with power of attorneys, reluctance to accept the severity of the damp problems and an old man who just wants to stay in his home. It's not easy. I've always been one for the country life and seclusion, but now I think a modern little bungalow at the edge of town sounds better. I also don't think that man is meant to live alone. We are community animals and need each other to be happy. Some people turn their back on society, but no man is an island and we all depend on the welfare state when we can't look after ourselves. In a rural area, all the services are stretched.

Disagree with your theory as someone who has lived in remote rural communities with no local connections in Scotland and in many counties here in Ireland. It is also not a question of "turning your back on society" and I wonder what led to that idea on your part? I live alone and do not mix here. Partly health issues but also I have M.E and it is not believed in here. I organise my life so I can get some real quality without trying to fit in with anyones ideas of what life should be.Also with no working immune system I need to be away from people l I ask nothing of anyone here and the days, once a week or less, that I am out, shopping etc I enjoy greatly and chat with so many. I do not think we " need each other to be happy": each is different. If we are not happy with ourselves we will never be happy with others. I rely on the UK welfare state for my pension and get the "extras" here; just the money! Not sure what service you refer to ? Many more die alone in cities than out here. Old wans in flats not found for months... The illness you describe is tragic but not because of their being alone. They had what they loved those years.... I know I will possibly die here alone; worries me not an iota.

Risk for risk's sake is foolish. Risk for the chance of a happier more fulfilled life, however challenging, is courageous. Look back at your life. Most people regret things they didn't get the chance to do, not things that they risked but didn't work out as they hoped.

I've never tried to suggest that moving to somewhere remote is right for everyone. People should do what makes them happy. But this thread is about offering advice to someone who is considering it, and writes about the possibility with excitement, suggesting it might be right for them. If that was me and I read all these negative replies back in 2009 before moving to west Cork it might well have been enough to put me off. You have to balance the endless 'what if' warnings with some encouragement and positive experiences.

Ah but TO YOU anything that poses a question is " negative"! Not to me or to anyone else here! Far from it; you have to face the full reality whether it is to your liking or not. When I was moving to the island, I had many doubters..That was fine and actually my work was to reassure them! I had three sets of waterproofs given to me by concerned folk! And yes they were needed.. These replies are not negative but often from experience and an honour that folk share these... and no there is no need to take risks to get to a "happier more fulfilled life".. That IS risk for risks sake in essence. It can be done quietly and safely. After all is not moving one of the most stressful events there is?

Seems your money goes a little farther in Donegal, my only concern is what’s it like for an outsider to live in Donegal?
    When I visit Ireland I usually stay to the south west in Galway, Clare, and Kerry. Never spent time in Donegal.

Here are a few I would consider…

http://www.daft.ie/donegal/houses-for-sale/ardara/brackey-ardara-donegal-1179447/

http://www.daft.ie/donegal/houses-for-sale/glencolmcille/straboy-glencolmcille-donegal-332593/

http://www.daft.ie/mayo/houses-for-sale/carrowteige/carrowteige-carrowteige-mayo-1137062/

I lived nine years in Donegal; hard place in many ways and too near the border maybe. Put it this way; the early morning when I drove away and entered Sligo, I felt relaxation enter my very bones and started smiling.. all the way to West Cork! Glencolumcille was the hardest...

Grace thanks for the insight. When im 62 im selling up in the US and moving country to a secluded home in the west of Ireland, probably Kerry or Cork. So that makes me certifiable compared to Nomis :)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Actually, about the island; I'd check how much noise a couple windmills would generate? You could get free electricity, whilst providing the local area with electricity? Or look into getting some Vortex Bladeless onto the island...?

the_syco wrote: »
    Actually, about the island; I'd check how much noise a couple windmills would generate? You could get free electricity, whilst providing the local area with electricity? Or look into getting some Vortex Bladeless onto the island...?

lol.. Lovely idea but I emailed the agent and had a very curt reply,,, the house is in ruins and needs demolishing! No one LIVES there; just a few holiday homes. http://www.trishpunch.com/p375307409/h292A242C#h292a242c Can you imagine this in a winter storm? No boats except tourists in summer... deserted and inaccessible; like Blasket but less supported.

Grace thanks for the insight. When im 62 im selling up in the US and moving country to a secluded home in the west of Ireland, probably Kerry or Cork. So that makes me certifiable compared to Nomis :)

Well good luck to you and if you want someone to do the grunt work here, please let me know. I mean this ....Agents here are really as they say something else. I have helped a few US retirees cope. Not long ago I came across a gentle US couple wandering round town looking lost and exhausted. They had bought a house here and spent all they had moving. Arrived to learn that there had bveen some glitch re finalising the sale and they were not allowed in or to move their stuff in. They had to rent an apartment and it was all dragging on and on and on. Not the only ones and the ones who make the money are the solicitors and auctioneers. My landlord bought this house and adjoining land well over 20 years ago and is STILL in and out of court.. costing him a bomb. So no you are equal to Nomis and hopefully amenable to common sense and wisdom.. working here on a guide book re moving to Ireland....most I know have to flee home fr part of the year and the owner of one of the leading online tourist sites freely admits she could NEVER live here..P_S you could well end up certifiable! l know a couple of US folk like that and they cannot return home as they spend all they had coming here.. It was easier for me a compared to the island this was bliss, at first!

Grace thanks for the words of wisdom. I am over a decade from retirement but am already planning.

Citizensinformation.ie is a great tool for someone looking for the basics, immigration paperwork with the guard, pps number, drivers license. I’ve got it all down and know what I need to do.

Ill rent to begin with but I would eventually like to purchase a property of my own. The process is so much different than the states. In Ireland the seller can back out at any time during the sale process, even if they have skin in the game with solicitor and home inspector fees. Not so in the US.

Grace thanks for the words of wisdom. I am over a decade from retirement but am already planning.

Citizensinformation.ie is a great tool for someone looking for the basics, immigration paperwork with the guard, pps number, drivers license. I’ve got it all down and know what I need to do.

Ill rent to begin with but I would eventually like to purchase a property of my own. The process is so much different than the states. In Ireland the seller can back out at any time during the sale process, even if they have skin in the game with solicitor and home inspector fees. Not so in the US.

Grasshopper; you have a lot to learn! Enjoy the planning... By then I may well not be around any more of course..ah well!

• Advertisement

Congratulations, it's still a lovely place. :)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement