Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Experience getting job in software before moving?

Options
  • 10-02-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭

Hey,

Anyone here manage to land a job before moving over? Or did you just apply after arriving etc? Logistical mess.

Would be particularly interested to hear from people working in the software industry.

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

I had a job lined up before I came.

At the very least you should line up a number of interviews before moving.
    Unless you can afford a few months without work.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I moved over with two offers. One of them did the entire interview process remotely, the other arranged a face-to-face interview for a time when I'd be over visiting anyway. Ended up taking the second offer and I'm still there two and a half years on.

(I do mostly Python and front-end web development)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,019 ✭✭✭carlmango11

Thanks for the replies. So sorting out a job pre-move is actually feasible. Good to know.

I'm guessing you just applied directly through various job websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Pretty much yeah - Monster, Stack Overflow, Indeed etc. Everyone will do a phone interview, most will have some kind of technical test too before they bring you over. Generally most people I spoke to were happy to give you about a week's notice for an interview because they know it's expensive to travel on very short notice - that was around 3 years ago though.

Also, the amount of unsolicited mail on LinkedIn if you have a sought after skill and London as your location is insane. Even with including the line "On maternity leave from February 2016" in my profile I still get multiple messages from recruiters every day.

Also, the amount of unsolicited mail on LinkedIn if you have a sought after skill and London as your location is insane. Even with including the line "On maternity leave from February 2016" in my profile I still get multiple messages from recruiters every day.

Yeah, even in Dublin I get a lot of messages. Problem is that they're all recruiters for positions in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Change your address on Linkedin etc to London. You will start showing up on London recruiters searches then.

Change your address on Linkedin etc to London. You will start showing up on London recruiters searches then.

Genius!

Advertisement