Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vodafone or Eir router for best Wifi

• 10-02-2016 10:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭

I'm with Virgin and currently out of contract. I have the Cisco EPC3925 router which gives a terribly weak Wifi performance outside of the room the router is located. I was able to resolve this for a few years by using a WiFi Powerline extender. Unfortunately one of my kids broke the extender and I'm back to square one.

I'm seriously thinking of switching away from Virgin as I'm not happy with the issues I've been having on Netflix, which seems to be happening to a lot of people.

I'm considering switching to Eir or Vodafone and I was just wondering what people's experience is with the routers they provide. Do they both generally produce a good WiFi signal, or is one better than the other. Hopefully I can get something better than the Cisco router I have with Virgin.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Eirs old unit was on par with Vodafones, but since they changed to the F2000 they're significantly in front.

But dont pick an ISP for the router you get. Vodafone are cheaper, go with them a buy a decent third party router and get the best of both worlds.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭DerryRed

ED E wrote: »
    Eirs old unit was on par with Vodafones, but since they changed to the F2000 they're significantly in front.

But dont pick an ISP for the router you get. Vodafone are cheaper, go with them a buy a decent third party router and get the best of both worlds.

Thanks for that. I'd tried that for Virgin but I was told they don't allow the use of 3rd party routers. Is that true?

If I switch to Vodafone or Eir are there any recommended third party routers that don't cost big bucks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

You'd also want to be sure that eir/Vodafone can deliver you a service that can give you a good Netflix experience. No point in dropping a 240Mbps service for a ~8Mbps that's suffers congestion in the evenings. :eek:

Have you a landline or does a neighbour? If so, bang the number in here and see what speeds it reports back.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    You'd also want to be sure that eir/Vodafone can deliver you a service that can give you a good Netflix experience. No point in dropping a 240Mbps service for a ~8Mbps that's suffers congestion in the evenings. :eek:

Have you a landline or does a neighbour? If so, bang the number in here and see what speeds it reports back.

I have a landline, however when I go to the Business Line Checker link you provided I get the message "Line Check Results For: xxx xxxx xxxx has failed the line check."

When I go to the Vodafone site on this page and enter my landline number, it brings up a results page telling me here are the results, but no results are displayed (I've tried on multiple browsers)

For Eir when I do a check on my landline I get a message saying they can't determine the broadband speed for this number and to search by address. When I search by address I'm told "Your home is eir Fibre enabled"

Any idea why I'm not able to get results when I search by my landline number?

If you're searching a number thats currently with Virgin it will not work. Its not a POTS line, its VOIP.

I forgot to ask, do you want a TV service? If so then you don't want to try changing the modem from eir or Vodafone.

• Advertisement

If you're searching a number thats currently with Virgin it will not work. Its not a POTS line, its VOIP.

I forgot to ask, do you want a TV service? If so then you don't want to try changing the modem from eir or Vodafone.

I've already got a TV service with Sky. Want to keep this separate as my employer is happy to pay for my phone and broadband, but not TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Does changing the Router make a big difference to speeds. Using a Vodafone router, 90Mbps when directly connected to router or to one of my Tp Link extenders, and up to 35Mbps on Wifi.

No complaint with that so far.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

DerryRed wrote: »
    Thanks for that. I'd tried that for Virgin but I was told they don't allow the use of 3rd party routers. Is that true?

If I switch to Vodafone or Eir are there any recommended third party routers that don't cost big bucks.

If the Netflix issue is resolved shortly and you decide to stay with VM don't forget that you can bridge the 3925 (they dont support it) and connect whichever router you wish to. Lots of VM customers would bite your hand off for the 3925.

Also attaching a usb fan to the 3925 apparently improves the performance _ haven't tried it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 189 ✭✭brimur69

Just wanted to add that Eir and VF, using the phone line are less locked down than VirginM, using cable. You can use any modem or modem-router with Eir and VF but VirginM will only let you use their cable modems/routers. If I was going with Eir/VF I would use a standard modem or the router Eir/VF provided (in modem/bridge mode) with a highly rated and respected wireless router if the provided one was not good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Johnny11

Vodafone don't allow third party router!

• Advertisement

Johnny11 wrote: »

Why are you necroing a load of threads?

Do vodafone support it? No. Can you do it? YES!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Johnny11 wrote: »

No provider supports third party routers, it's the risk you take of having full control of your own connection.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Johnny11

Why are you necroing a load of threads?

Do vodafone support it? No. Can you do it? YES!

Sorry

Advertisement