Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Promised Raise - Not Forthcoming

Options
  • 10-02-2016 11:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,

Pretty straightforward question which I'm hoping for a straightforward answer to!

I'm working in a startup on what was a pretty minimal salary. Over the past year or so my responsibilities grew as did the role and company and, after some badgering (mainly from a previous manager of mine battling on my behalf) I was offered a raise last September.

The deal was a 5% increase from October on and an additional 5% in January. What I was beginning on wasn't much in case it seems like a big jump to anyone.

Anyway, 5% raise went through fine in October at which point I requested a letter confirming everything which I have written in black and white and signed by the then HR manager.

January pay came around and the additional 5% was not included. Spoke to payroll who advised CEO had said no payrises for anyone and he'd speak directly with me. Yet to receive any direct communication from him and from speaking with my manager it seems pretty cut and dry that there'll be no increase.

Does the letter (and emails) stand as a legal document that my employer is bound by or is this still at their discretion? It's not a huge amount of money at the end of the day but has left a bad taste in my mouth the way it has been handled and unsure of what my next steps should be.

Appreciate any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

I think that You are in a pretty strong position to get your raise.

The way that I would approach this is:

When the CEO gets in contact, listen to what he says. Then firmly and politely remind him of the agreement again. Then if he states that he cannot pay the rise at this time agree to defer the rise for 6 months at which time the rise will be awarded along with back-pay for the 6 month period. This demonstrates that you are flexible, understand any short-term difficulties, but are holding the company to for the prior agreement while allowing him to save face also.

If there is a genuine reason why he cannot pay rises at this time, he probably has a lot more to worry about than the rises, like is the company going to be around next year. Cash flow can be extremely challenging for small companies. (This is something you should take into account also and consider looking for an employer that can afford your services.) (You may want to check with HR or other employees to ensure that the pay freeze is for all employees)

If he does not get into contact in a reasonable time, schedule a meeting with him.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭tibor_imo

That definitely seems like the most reasonable line. I'm aware the company is in a transitional phase and money is most likely tight.

I don't want to hold a gun to their head and leave on bad terms but also don't want to be seen as a pushover.

Appreciate your input - thanks!

That definitely seems like the most reasonable line. I'm aware the company is in a transitional phase and money is most likely tight.

I don't want to hold a gun to their head and leave on bad terms but also don't want to be seen as a pushover.

Appreciate your input - thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

If it makes any difference, IEE is right, Tibor. I've suffered many times from unfair pay in my career because I was too "nice" and "understanding" to ask. You don't want to be shoved to the back of the bus for failing to stick up for yourself; nothing says you can't be nice and understanding while asking for what was promised you. If you don't even ask, you're signalling to your employer that it's not important to you so it needn't be important to them. You should get paid just like any other supplier or vendor or serviceperson they purchase from.

I'm belaboring this because it's a huge issue for women in STEM fields like me, and a significant issue for women elsewhere, and an important issue for everyone, and it takes too damn long and too many missed opportunities for people to realize it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Your mistake was not getting the 10% in one go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

vandriver wrote: »
    Your mistake was not getting the 10% in one go.

Are you the CFO of Tibor's company? No? Do you own a time machine? No? Then how was that even helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭realdanbreen

tibor_imo wrote: »
    Hi,

Pretty straightforward question which I'm hoping for a straightforward answer to!

I'm working in a startup on what was a pretty minimal salary. Over the past year or so my responsibilities grew as did the role and company and, after some badgering (mainly from a previous manager of mine battling on my behalf) I was offered a raise last September.

The deal was a 5% increase from October on and an additional 5% in January. What I was beginning on wasn't much in case it seems like a big jump to anyone.

Anyway, 5% raise went through fine in October at which point I requested a letter confirming everything which I have written in black and white and signed by the then HR manager.

January pay came around and the additional 5% was not included. Spoke to payroll who advised CEO had said no payrises for anyone and he'd speak directly with me. Yet to receive any direct communication from him and from speaking with my manager it seems pretty cut and dry that there'll be no increase.

Does the letter (and emails) stand as a legal document that my employer is bound by or is this still at their discretion? It's not a huge amount of money at the end of the day but has left a bad taste in my mouth the way it has been handled and unsure of what my next steps should be.

Appreciate any advice.

First off how long are you with the company? How big is the company? Is the CEO working in the same building? If so why not approach him and outline the situation. Looking in from the outside I'm a little concerned that before speaking with him/her you are already mentioning 'legal documents' that the employer might be bound by.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

Speedwell wrote: »
    Are you the CFO of Tibor's company? No? Do you own a time machine? No? Then how was that even helpful?
    It might be helpful to other people in a similar situation .

Thanks for the responses - sorry I couldn't get back to reply sooner.

To answer a couple of questions, I've been there going on a year and a half now. Small company <20 and the CEO would be around although not very approachable.

When I mentioned 'legal documents' I didn't meant to do so in a 'I'll take you to court' type way was more just curious if they had any real worth.

Getting the 10% in one go was never an option but I can take that advice on board.

Think I'll arrange a chat with the CEO. Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭JIdontknow

You could approach it with a counter agreement, or a proposal. For example when you meet the CEO, you don't want to come across as hungry but at the same time you don't want to lie down. So you could say along the lines of, "I know the company is a start up, and in a transitional phase, I enjoy working here, nice company etc etc..., unfortunately I feel my salary doesn't reflect the responsibilities and work I do, I know I was promised 5% back 5% in October, and another 5% in January, so I propose this as a resolution......

Decide yourself what you'd like (being realistic) for example, "I feel a 10% increase from May onwards is fair and was my understanding previously that I would have a 10% increase this year, and we can review at the end of the year". Yes you'll lose out on a few months increase etc, but still get something and are being realistic.

Never been in that situation before though, but I presume if you go in demanding the increase it won't go down well, whereas going in professional and standing your ground but compromising will give you a better chance. Again I have never been in this situation so I can't advise further, I am sure others will say demand your increase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement