Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Holiday dates dont suit

Options
  • 10-02-2016 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Just a quick question- Im a student working part time and Im booking my holiday for the summer with friends! I was hoping to go away for about 10 days (fingers crossed!!) but my boss has brought in a new rule that none of us can be away at the same time as someone else in the place..this would make sense if we were short staffed but I dont think we are. My problem is that 3 of the staff already have june and july pretty much completely filled and someone else has 2 weeks in August done already.

Being a student I cannot go away till June and must be back by end of August/start Sept..my question is, is it legally allowed for an employer to dictate such rules on part time/full time staff when we wont be getting paid for holiday pay or anything? I also want to go to 2 concerts on 2 seperate days but Im not allowed to ask for cover so I really dont know what to do!

Thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

In short yes; the company has the right to decide when you take holidays.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Yes they can but why aren't you getting holiday pay?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,969 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

The whole point of having part time students on staff is so they have the skills and experience to provide cover when the full time staff take summer holidays!

It sounds like you need to find a different job, one which suits your lifestyle better.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,468 ✭✭✭CruelCoin

Is it legally allowed for an employer to dictate such rules on part time/full time staff when we wont be getting paid for holiday pay or anything?

Yes.

Each business has their own limitations on capabilities, busy seasons, etc and have the right to decide when they can spare the staff.

Our own busy seasons are Spring + Autumn, and for this reason, no-one is allowed to take holidays in those seasons.

Advertisement