Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rewiring

Options
  • 11-02-2016 12:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Hi.

I have bought a house and am having some work done.

This includes rewiring.

The electrician wants to lower all the light switches to a maximum of 120 cm. I would like to leave them as they are.

Is it ok for me to leave them as they are?

Thanks.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

I would lower them, looks much better and overall more user friendly for everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,006 ✭✭✭✭josip

Yes lower.
    If you have children you'll appreciate a few years less of having to turn on the lights for them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

I could be wrong but I think he has no choice under latest regs.

Access for disabled / wheelchair users afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,745 ✭✭✭meercat

Here's the current regulations.

sockets between 400mm-1200mm
    switches between 400mm-1200mm

Steve wrote: »
    I could be wrong but I think he has no choice under latest regs.

Access for disabled / wheelchair users afaik.

He definitely would have no choice if it was a new build or (probably) putting in a new switch according to the regs.
    But would leaving an existing switch where it is contravene the regs?

• Advertisement

josip wrote: »
    He definitely would have no choice if it was a new build or (probably) putting in a new switch according to the regs.
    But would leaving an existing switch where it is contravene the regs?

It's a rewire so has to conform to regulations or he can't certify it

meercat wrote: »
    It's a rewire so has to conform to regulations or he can't certify it

If the switch stays put and that lighting circuit doesn't need to be re-wired (not sure if this is the OP's case) does it have to conform?

We got some of the circuits in our house rewired 5 years ago (new lighting zones, extensions etc and while the new switches were 1.2m up, the old switches remain in their original higher position.

josip wrote: »
    If the switch stays put and that lighting circuit doesn't need to be re-wired (not sure if this is the OP's case) does it have to conform?

the regulations are not retrospective

Advertisement