Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can I just leave my apartment?

Options
  • 11-02-2016 12:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

I'm living in an apartment with two other students who I do not get on well with. They trash the place every other night and invite random people back to the apartment on a weekly basis. I'm all for nights out but they just take it too far. As I am in third year, I am doing lots of study and I have been woken up several times due to their parties. They never take the bins down and leave the washing up for weeks at a time. I have found mouse droppings on the kitchen counters and I have seen two already running though the house- it is just horrendous!

I have four months left of the lease. I have never met the landlord so I have not signed the lease. My name however is printed on the contract along with the others. My question is whether I can just up and leave? It might be worth noting that our rent is all in one so I understand that noone would get their deposit back- which I couldn't care less about! As I haven't signed the contract surely I can just move out? I really don't know how much more I can take- talking to them isn't working.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

In this case you would be under Joint and Severable liability, meaning if you left, the other two would be responsible for the rent owed for the four months, unless they sublet to someone else. You could argue that you didn't sign the lease, but as you behaved in a manner congruent with signing a lease, it amounts to a verbal agreement (and you are aware your name is on the lease). The housemates could try get the remaining rent back from you, or do a runner themselves, but you are all equally responsible so whoever is left in contact with the landlord will usually have to pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Of course you can leave: no one can legally force you to stay there. Do you have somewhere to go?

Legally you are jointly and severally liable for the rent until the end of the lease, unless you can find someone suitable to re-assign it to. Do you think you can find someone to take your room? Or maybe the others can: talk to them, they might be as keen for you to leave as you are to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

Is there any way you can contact the LL and make him aware of what's going on? You could let him know that you are not responsible for any of the damage but are willing to forfeit your part of the deposit so you can leave as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Just walk away.
    There can be no repercussions.
    You have no contract with the Landlord.

Just pack up and move. I wouldn't even tell the people you live with.

Advertisement