Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lunch in Dún Laoghaire

Options
  • 11-02-2016 2:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭

Don't venture in here too often more of a Dublin City poster :pac: but me and the girlfriend are two years together on Monday so we've both decided to take the day off and head out to DL Pier, etc... for the afternoon. So long story short, looking for some suggestions we may get some nice lunch - be it a fry or anything tbh in DL around 2pm?

Cheers!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

Under the 40ft (wetherspoons now?) on the lower level facing the harbour.. there's a good choice of small eateries. Not posh but good value and decent food.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 2,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Mig

Hen House, Mao are on the lowest level of the pavilion facing the harbour.

Facing the Dart station is Milanos, Bistro Le Monde and Gourmet Food Parlour.

Further down towards Glasthule beside Teddys Ice Cream is Toscanas.

Gourmet Food Parlour and Hen House would be my 2 personal favs.

Hen House, Mao are on the lowest level of the pavilion facing the harbour.

Facing the Dart station is Milanos, Bistro Le Monde and Gourmet Food Parlour.

Further down towards Glasthule beside Teddys Ice Cream is Toscanas.

Gourmet Food Parlour and Hen House would be my 2 personal favs.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Gourmet Food Parlour strongest recommendation for a one-off visit. Hen House ok too. Mao, Milano you get anywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Gareth Keenan

I'm a big fan of lunch at Kitchen 62. Across the road from it is Fallon and Byrne in the People's Park. Bit fancier/pricier. Or if you're pushing the boat out, a late lunch in Hartley's (beside the pier) with a few cocktails. Me and my wife had an impromptu anniversary lunch in there a while back, was brilliant. Enjoy your afternoon!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Blue Ginger on the main street is decent enough and fairly cheap

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭qb123

Fully agree with the F&B and Hartley's recommendations if you're looking for something special and prepared to pay a little more (which I guess is the case).

• Registered Users Posts: 24,074 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

uch wrote: »
    Blue Ginger on the main street is decent enough and fairly cheap

It feels it, in my opinion.

Gourmet Food Parlour opposite the DART for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Cheers all! Good selection there to look into!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,524 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Larbre34 wrote: »
    It feels it, in my opinion.

Gourmet Food Parlour opposite the DART for me too.

Is that the one that used to be called travel? The old name and sign made it look like a travel agent!!!

Bistro Le Monde used to be Travel Cafe. Gourmet Food parlour is next door to it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

The Mig wrote: »

Gourmet Food Parlour is always packed (make a reservation if you plan to eat there... seriously packed) and Bistro Le Monde is always empty.

Oliveto and Toscana both have fantastic sea views from their front window tables, I'd consider them for this alone! Kitchen62 is a favourite too.

oh yeah forgot Oliveto. If you're up for a pizza, that's the place.

However I've just noticed that you're a Shels fan, so regret to inform you that you and your kind aren't welcome out here. A bag of crisps in Fagans will do you nicely.

oh yeah forgot Oliveto. If you're up for a pizza, that's the place.

However I've just noticed that you're a Shels fan, so regret to inform you that you and your kind aren't welcome out here. A bag of crisps in Fagans will do you nicely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

The Fish shack is a nice place for a bite, as long as you like fish of course.

Wander up to Glasthule and you have Carluccios and The Cookbook Cafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

:D:D The Ivy House is where you find me for pre game dinner and post match pints!

The Mig wrote: »

Cheers I rarely venture last the lights at city hall as I tend to be on the harbour side of the tracks either cycling / running or heading for a swim.

The Fish shack is a nice place for a bite, as long as you like fish of course.

....... The Cookbook Cafe.

These would be two of my suggestions definitely.

If you like Pizza, then Bits and Pizzas is my most favourite place ever. And they do a lunch specials until 6pm.

The amount of places :pac:

The joys of working in Dun Laoghaire. Deciding where to have lunch every day!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 349 ✭✭Aye Bosun

I highly recommend the Purty Kitchen too.

• Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭JohnFalstaff

If you're celebrating a special occasion you can't go wrong with Hartley's. It's a bit more on the expensive side than some of the other places mentioned here but the food and service is excellent.

Myself and my wife love heading out on the dart to spend the day walking the pier and enjoying the sights of Dún Laoghaire. Generally we make do with a sandwich followed by an ice-cream from Teddies, but if it's a birthday or an anniversary I treat her to a meal in Hartley's!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,608 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

For a lunch like that, I'd go with F&B as well. The location by the park is really nice.

The food isn't as nice as Hartley's but if it was me, I'd like the food and view combo in F&B better.

You'd be close enough after a walk along the east pier as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

olivettos for a delicious pizza and the best view of Dun Laoghaire, or if you really want to treat her then go down to caviston's in glasthule for a delicious fish lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,470 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Steve wrote: »
    Under the 40ft (wetherspoons now?) on the lower level facing the harbour.. there's a good choice of small eateries. Not posh but good value and decent food.

The food is awful in my experience, I would avoid.

Ush1 wrote: »
    The food is awful in my experience, I would avoid.

I think he actually means under it , as in the ground floor units

Advertisement