Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend Electric Underfloor Heating

Options
  • 11-02-2016 4:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi,

Doing renov. of bathroom (2m x 5m) - will have rad but looking to put in underfloor electric heating system for comfort etc. North facing corner room
    so tends to be cold.

Any recommendation on underfloor heating mats / system ?

Appreciate all advice

f0z

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,668 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Plan to do a main bathroom refurb soon myself, and was wondering what sort of cost is involved in UFH, so I will be watching thread with interest?

Roughly same size in sq metres, just more square shaped (I'm sure won't affect price).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

These "mats" come in rolls of plastic and and the element for heating them is like a waveform from top too bottom too top again. You cut the plastic too suit each bathroom leaving the element all connected. Only draw back is when the element burns out ( they all do) only way too fix the heating is rip the flooring up! I'm not aware of any good stable brand as all the ones I've wired up in the past have burned out in a matter of years

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

If there is a rad (I'm presuming boiler / water) then why not just use a water based system?

Lift floorboards and install a few qualplex loops fed from a stat valve.

Steve wrote: »
    If there is a rad (I'm presuming boiler / water) then why not just use a water based system?

Lift floorboards and install a few qualplex loops fed from a stat valve.

Woukdnt it take hours for qualpex too transfer heat through floorboards-chipboard- adisive - tile.?

I don't think qual is built too lose heat but actually keep it in.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Woukdnt it take hours for qualpex too transfer heat through floorboards-chipboard- adisive - tile.?

True, copper would be better at losing heat but more difficult to install as a DIY job.

I have a towel rail in the ensuite fed under floorboards / 6mm ply and tiles with QP and it warms the floor, wasn't meant to and is not looped but works and is a bonus!
    If I'd known I would have put in a few circles around the room.

I agree it would be slower to heat but it would beat ripping up the floor every few years to replace the electric one. :)

• Advertisement

How do you mean not looped?

I mean it was just fed straight under the floor to the towel rail, not sent in a loop around the room.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

MrMac84 wrote: »

It will lose heat quick enough. Put your hand on qualpex that has 80 degree water in it, and you will feel the 80 degree temperature quick enough, so it does give out heat from its water.

It needs insulation around it if there is anything that will quickly conduct heat away from it, or on a long run.

Steve wrote: »
    True, copper would be better at losing heat but more difficult to install as a DIY job.

I have a towel rail in the ensuite fed under floorboards / 6mm ply and tiles with QP and it warms the floor, wasn't meant to and is not looped but works and is a bonus!

Yea I can notice that in my own house where the pex is running to rads.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

Thanks for all replies.

Floor is concrete - ground floor - so will talk to plumber if plex is an option.

In terms of Mats - assuming they all burn out. Is there any brand that is generally more reliable than another that someone could recommend.
    Likely will not go down this route now but good to know in event Plex is not an option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭f0zzy

Thanks for all replies.

Floor is concrete - ground floor - so will talk to plumber if plex is an option.

In terms of Mats - assuming they all burn out. Is there any brand that is generally more reliable than another that someone could recommend.
    Likely will not go down this route now but good to know in event Plex is not an option.

If the concrete surface is the finished level apart from tiles etc, then the mat will probably be the option used.

Advertisement