Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N17 downgrade

Options
  • 11-02-2016 10:46am
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭

Might be a bit too late to be an election issue but according to the Connaught tribune once the m17 opens the n17 will be downgraded to a regional road which will likely mean 80kph speed limit which is too low for most sections between Tuam and Galway.

You can imagine that the speed van will camp up on the road and make people's lives hell(fines for 85ks etc).

The m17 is unique to other motorways in that while it will take some traffic from the m17 I can't see it taking more than 50% as the m17 is more of a north south corridor and simply will not suit most commuters into Galway from tuam, especially as no Galway city bypass will mean all routes arrive at the Galway clinic roundabout.

So my point is bring the issue if the n17 being downgraded up at the doorsteps if it affects you when people call looking for your vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,887 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I will suffer serious rage issues if the N17 is downgraded to 80kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

Mightn't necessarily happen. The sections of the old N6 between Athlone/Ballinasloe & Ballinasloe/Galway were downgraded to R status after the M6 opened but have retained their 100kph speed limit. It was also rumoured at the time that both stretches would have a reduced speed limit.

It depends on what the council and the NRA decide.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

The m17 is unique to other motorways in that while it will take some traffic from the m17 I can't see it taking more than 50% as the m17 is more of a north south corridor and simply will not suit most commuters into Galway from tuam, especially as no Galway city bypass will mean all routes arrive at the Galway clinic roundabout.
    The motorway may still be faster. When going from Tuam to Galway I always turn off at Claregalway and take the motorway in. Everything in your favour coming in that way. The N17 is plagued by slow drivers too, one driver doing 70kph has ruined the day of a hundred drivers behind them. I wish it was like other European countries where slow drivers just pull into a hard shoulder and let other cars off. Instead they like to act like road cops, dictating the speed everyone else should be doing.

I don't see why they'd reduce the speed on the N17, it's not like the rest of the roads in the county are 80kph, the Dunmore road the other side of Tuam is 100kph. Although it would probably be typical of our government to judge a roads dangerousness by the label they attach to it rather than the actual state of the road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

This is what happens when all the young people leave an area to get work and make lives elsewhere. The same thing happens off motorway in the east midlands etc. I used to hate the old n4 towards Enfield from Kilcock which is 80kph all the way to Kinnegad since the Motorway opened.

Most of it is solid white line and no overtaking so a person doing 70kph can screw it up for everyone else when you can easily do 100kph on that stretch of road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭misstearheus

Oh lordy I deffo wouldn't be looking forward to going out that direction if they go and do something like that. Tail-gaters will have an absolute ball wreaking havoc if they do! Can't foresee it being a pleasant drive. Will have to start looking into Back-roads and Byroads and Bóithríns if it's needed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement