Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would €300k get you?

Options
  • 11-02-2016 11:39am
    Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've been offered a site and I'm just wondering is it worthwhile considering building my own house.

Assuming I purchase the site at the mentioned price I'd have a budget of €300k to do everything i.e architect, planning, tender, construction and PM.

I would do design certify myself. Work with an architect and structural engineer who would do it for mates rates/free. Would be on good professional terms with a few good builders.

So that question is could you build a 5 bed house all in with at least the following specs

1. \'A2\' BER rating energy efficient homes.
    2. Low energy, low carbon houses.
    3. Very high levels of insulation incorporated in floors, walls and roofs.
    4. Super warm construction delivering exceptionally high levels of thermal performance and air tightness.
    5. High performance, low U-value windows and external doors.
    6. Low emission argon-filled windows which reflect heat back into the room.
    7. Earth to Water Panasonic Heat Pump system.
    8. Aluminium radiators throughout the house.
    9. 2,500 sq.ft.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

Did you read this months Passive House + magazine?

Why cant you go for a passive build? Easily achievable at that price of €300k if your doing the majority of the professional stuff yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭ht9zni1gs28crp

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

No reason why I cant. We have literally just started looking at either buying or building and the specs are from the first house we liked.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Just following up on this post.

I had a look at the site today.

The house dates from at least 1908. That appears to be its earliest record but easily be older. Its a terraced house.

Its been lived in up until recently but has had issues. Next door has been abandoned for many years causing water ingress and building in the walls. It looks like some one has been in to sort that. Similar issues with a leaking roof but again I believe some one has been in to look at that.

At a rough measure it looks like about 1700sq f give or take a few. An architect has suggested €250 per sq f for a decent finish and from what I understand would include rewiring of the house. Would that seem reasonable?

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭SuperO'B

€250 sounds incredible to me. I haven't come across a price like that before.

• Advertisement

SuperO'B wrote: »
      €250 sounds incredible to me. I haven't come across a price like that before.

Too much or too little?

Advertisement