Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why should I buy a rice cooker?

Options
  • 11-02-2016 12:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭

Looking for advice from people who have a rice cooker.

Essentially I'd like to know if it's worth the money. We have rice maybe twice a week so is it worth the outlay? Is the rice fluffier or is it simply easier to cook?

Can it do anything else? Are the budget range OK?

Sorry if that seems like a load of questions but as some one who sometimes struggles to make perfect rice, I'm looking to justify the expense to my wife who gets it right 99% of the time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Chimichangas

Dodge wrote: »
    Looking for advice from people who have a rice cooker.

Essentially I'd like to know if it's worth the money. We have rice maybe twice a week so is it worth the outlay? Is the rice fluffier or is it simply easier to cook?

Can it do anything else? Are the budget range OK?

Sorry if that seems like a load of questions but as some one who sometimes struggles to make perfect rice, I'm looking to justify the expense to my wife who gets it right 99% of the time

Got one in aldi or lidl, and its fine. 20€ or less i think. Definitely better rice, though its rinsed before cooking now too. Tastes surprisingly great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I would not be without a rice cooker. I used to eat rice four or five times a week, now it's more like two because it's difficult to get Asian ingredients like I could when I lived in America. I happen to have a pot of buttered basmati with peas and leeks cooking away downstairs in the kitchen at the moment; I can work (ahem) while it cooks--I work from home--and then have it ready just in time for my lunch. I've made porridge in it (with various grains) and risotto and even bread. But the main reason I have it is so I can make perfect rice completely unattended while I cook other things for dinner, and hold it at a safe warm temperature until I'm ready.

The budget range is fine, but get one with a non-stick finish. If you get one without a non-stick finish, use it only for rinsed white rice with nothing added but salt, so a quick soak can remove the stuck-on rice. Remember the rice measuring cup is not a "standard US measuring cup" of 240 ml; it's 180 ml. You must not skip the step of rinsing unless you use one of the expensive micom rice cookers. Just saying. Rinsing is not difficult, just swish the rice in water a couple times and strain.

(Does anyone posting to this thread know where I can get a good micom rice cooker without having to sell a kidney? I am shocked at the prices for them here compared to what they cost in the US.)

Edit: I noticed I was thanked by someone named "Chimichangas"... to make Mexican restaurant rice, measure your rice, add chicken stock up to almost the correct water point, add tomato passata to just above the correct water point. Throw in a half teaspoon or so of cumin powder, a mashed clove of garlic, a minced half onion, a chopped jalapeno or two, some salt if the stock isn't seasoned, and a glug of olive oil if you're not on a diet. Stir a couple swirls. Push the lever down and cook. Let it sit at least five minutes on warm after the cycle stops. Mix before serving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I got one on Amazon that's a rice cooker cum slow cooker cum porridge cooker. I wouldn't be without it because I always make a feck of rice if I try cook it on the hob.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,040 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I had one but got rid of it - I couldn't justify the space it took up.
    I cook rice very regularly. I find if I measure the water and use a timer, it always comes out perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Have had rice from several models and was never convinced to get one, I would not really have room even if given one free.

I microwave my rice now by absorption method. 1 volume of rice to 1.5 volumes of water, rinse the rice, get it to boiling on full power, stir, then cover and put on the lowest power for 10mins (a large amount may need higher power to keep it near boiling). Take it out and fluff it up and leave it with the cover on again for a few minutes.

I used to do it 1 part rice to 2 water and it was OK too, the 1.5 is more like you get in takeaways, the 2 part water is more like what I grew up eating at home, boiled in excess water.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,333 ✭✭✭tampopo

Far easier to cook.

I've no space either so keep it in another room, along with the 5kg bag of rice.

Add more water to make it softer. Whatever you fancy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

Buy one. A small one that's just enough for two generous feeds is ideal; it shouldn't take up more space than the size of a 20" casserole pot. Perfect rice every time (1:1.5 to water), just click the button and forget about it until you're ready to serve.
    Check out amazon.co.uk for 0.8L rice cookers, they're between £14-17.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

rubadub wrote: »
    Have had rice from several models and was never convinced to get one, I would not really have room even if given one free.

I microwave my rice now by absorption method. 1 volume of rice to 1.5 volumes of water, rinse the rice, get it to boiling on full power, stir, then cover and put on the lowest power for 10mins (a large amount may need higher power to keep it near boiling). Take it out and fluff it up and leave it with the cover on again for a few minutes.

I used to do it 1 part rice to 2 water and it was OK too, the 1.5 is more like you get in takeaways, the 2 part water is more like what I grew up eating at home, boiled in excess water.

That's why I bought a rice cooker. I don't need to do any of that.

Wash 2 cups of rice
    Put 3 cups of water
    Press button, wait
    Eat
    :-)

EDIT: And if you buy quality rice at the local "non-national" shop, it will smell and taste amazing...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,424 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Every Chinese household has one and bugger all else in their kitchens apart from a wok and a gas ring burner (usually single ring),which tells you something and they eat a lot of rice. Apart from making just boiled rice there is a surprising amount of things that herself uses our one for - steamed/boiled eggs, corn on the cob, congee and other things i don't know the name of.
    If you do get one don't spend a lot on it, the non stick surface pot will usually go before the heating element.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

This is the one we have and it is perfectly up to the mark; if you have access to an Asda (we have Northern relatives), it's my recommendation for a starter cooker: http://direct.asda.com/George-Home-Rice-Cooker/001585400,default,pd.html I still miss my Sanyo that did everything but start up its own takeaway though :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

I would only buy one if I had rice A LOT. Because it can easily become just another yoke that ends up in the attic next to the soup maker, the espresso machine etc. They're not very small either. Plus its not that difficult to make nice rice really.

Use good Basmati, the 1.39 bag in Lidl is excellent. Boil for 7 minutes in salt water, then pour into a sieve, lid back over the sieve, all back onto the pot with just 2 inches of water and steam for another 10 minutes through the sieve. Ordinary household sieve, mine just happens to be the same size as the pot, perfect.
    Lovely fluffy rice, dead easy. Plus you can leave it in the steam for while after and it won't change much but keeps hot. Kind of a makeshift rice cooker.

Boskowski wrote: »
    I would only buy one if I had rice A LOT. Because it can easily become just another yoke that ends up in the attic next to the soup maker, the espresso machine etc. They're not very small either. Plus its not that difficult to make nice rice really.

Use good Basmati, the 1.39 bag in Lidl is excellent. Boil for 7 minutes in salt water, then pour into a sieve, lid back over the sieve, all back onto the pot with just 2 inches of water and steam for another 10 minutes through the sieve. Ordinary household sieve, mine just happens to be the same size as the pot, perfect.
    Lovely fluffy rice, dead easy. Plus you can leave it in the steam for while after and it won't change much but keeps hot. Kind of a makeshift rice cooker.

But can you leave it for an hour on warm while you cook the rest of the dinner? Can you use that method for other kinds of rice? Can you make other dishes using that method? Folks, the OP is trying to get reasons for buying a rice cooker. Your "but I make perfectly good rice using this finicky method my grandmother taught me" posts are not helping.

Incidentally, I have made rice using the "boil in lots of water" method. My grandfather from Rome made rice that way because "oh, it's just like pasta". It is not like pasta, and once I gave him a basic rice cooker, he stopped using that method.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I always microwave mine.
    Rinse it first, cover with water, add some salt and bang it in until water is gone.

Perfect every time.

The keeping rice hot while you do other stuff function is great, it would just burn if you did that in a regular counter top. There are smaller sized ones on amazon too which aren't much bigger than a kettle. We used to have one of those before the kiddies came along.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

There s nothing finicky about that. And I find my post very helpful indeed for the decision making process. Because I'm saying rice cooking is easy. And yes it will stay warm for an hour with my method.
    A rice cooker might make it a slight bit easier but in return you get a big electrical yoke that needs finicky cleaning, can be difficult to store away and is, well, another big electrical yoke people tend to get tired of.

its like the Goerge Foreman grill and that food processor and that espresso machine which all seemed great purchases at the time and now live a lonely life in the attic,

Its not hard to clean, the bowl is non stick and is removeable, one wipe with a kitchen sponge and you are done.
    Boskowski it sounds like you have never actually used one as what you're posting wouldn't make sense otherwise.

Look, its all good. Someone will ask for an opinion and they will get two at least. You have yours I have mine, all good. I just find cooking rice is such a basic kitchen task, why would you want an awkward machine for it when theres a good chance you'll get tired of it anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

There s nothing finicky about that. And I find my post very helpful indeed for the decision making process. Because I'm saying rice cooking is easy. And yes it will stay warm for an hour with my method.
    A rice cooker might make it a slight bit easier but in return you get a big electrical yoke that needs finicky cleaning, can be difficult to store away and is, well, another big electrical yoke people tend to get tired of.

its like the Goerge Foreman grill and that food processor and that espresso machine which all seemed great purchases at the time and now live a lonely life in the attic,

Sorry, but your way is a lot more finicky than 'put 300g rice and 400ml water in cooker, press 'cook rice' button, forget about until it beeps'. It takes up as much space as a saucepan, is less hassle to clean than a saucepan, and mine doubles as a slow cooker, so it probably saves space.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Thanks for the replies folks. Don't want people falling out over it!

My wife makes perfect rice all the time. I think I take it for granted sometimes and it's ends up overcooked. Being able to press a 'cook' button and forget about it while I do the rest of a dinner is very appealing. I know how to cook rice but I'm not great at doing 4/5 different things at the same time in the kitchen!

We don't have too many 'gadgets' in the kitchen so space shouldn't be an issue

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭Mrs Fox

I've had this 0.6L rice cooker for over 11 years. I actually don't use it for anything else apart from cooking rice. To me, it's just as important as a kettle.

WP_20160212_003_zpsiktx67va.jpg

• Advertisement

Look, its all good. Someone will ask for an opinion and they will get two at least. You have yours I have mine, all good. I just find cooking rice is such a basic kitchen task, why would you want an awkward machine for it when theres a good chance you'll get tired of it anyway?

Its true, I used to think the same. but now I certainly prefer the rice cooker rice. Easier and tastier. It being washed now probably has a part to play coz it tastes much better.

And its all the main thing used in asia too. And they eat much more rice there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,312 ✭✭✭darlett

Lol fantastic to get a ruck on this! :)

Buy them cos you make rice maybe once a week or more, they're cheap and they make rice a suitably thoughtless process after you get used to giving rice three quick rinses and then adding about a thumbnail of water over the level of a typical batch of rice. Put it on, forget about it. Serve it whenever that day. The steaming process after the rice absorbs the water improves the texture of the rice-if your someone that matters too. Think takeaway quality. Easier to eat with chop sticks than slightly wet boiled rice! The cleaning of them is a positive as its easy to clean a pot and a lid of something that wasn't burnt!

Don't buy if you make rice less than once a month, think Uncle Bens boil in a bag texture is already bang on and have very small cupboard space.

But seriously a ruck with this?! Quite impressed ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Oink wrote: »
    That's why I bought a rice cooker. I don't need to do any of that.

Wash 2 cups of rice
    Put 3 cups of water
    Press button, wait
    Eat
    "do any of that"? you make it sound like 3 or 4 times as many steps! I have really only one more step than you do, turn it down to defrost after 3mins or so, this is completely repeatable and dependent on your microwave, do it once and remember. Also I usually cook it in the bowl I eat in, so it is preheated and less washing. I mentioned stirring at the end but this is certainly not an essential step, it is one which I would recommend if in a rice cooker too if you wanted it at its best.
    Supercell wrote: »
    Every Chinese household has one .
    And its all the main thing used in asia too. And they eat much more rice there.
    Yep, if you eat as much rice as they do it might be worth considering. If an Asian colleague asked if it was worthwhile getting a toaster I would similarly recommend thinking about counter space and devices that can already do the job, like if they already had a grill.

Speedwell wrote: »
    Folks, the OP is trying to get reasons for buying a rice cooker.
    It certainly sounded to me like they were looking for Pros AND cons, not simply pros, read some of it again.
    Essentially I'd like to know if it's worth the money.

Can it do anything else? I'm looking to justify the expense to my wife who gets it right 99% of the time
    I am interested in both the pros & cons, I wondered what other things it could be used for, good to see others mention what it can do. I think some devices/companies do themselves a disservice by promoting things as a single use device, e.g. a george foreman grill makes far better toasted sandwiches than and dedicated device I used.

I bought one yesterday. €18 in argos. Felt at that price it was worth a gamble. Will be trying it out tonight.

Thanks again for the replies

I bought one yesterday. €18 in argos. Felt at that price it was worth a gamble. Will be trying it out tonight.

If it's the one I had, it will work fine for a year and then inexplicably stop working. Well, get what you pay for.

Used it tonight. Very easy. Worked perfectly. Rice was lovely and fluffy and it turned off (or turned to warm) automatically. Exactly what I wanted for it

Even once a week I can already see this being useful for the price I paid

Thanks for all the contributions

rubadub wrote: »

Yep, if you eat as much rice as they do it might be worth considering. If an Asian colleague asked if it was worthwhile getting a toaster I would similarly recommend thinking about counter space and devices that can already do the job, like if they already had a grill.
    I am glad I have them both anyway. Never burnt now, and the risk of fire has decreased a helluva lot since i use the grill less...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Y'all eat a lot of rice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,057 ✭✭✭MissFlitworth

Dammit. Now *I* want a rice cooker.

Advertisement