Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir price increase

Options
  • 11-02-2016 12:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭

Hi lads,

Got my bill yesterday, along with it a note to say they're increasing their charges by €2.

Did anyone else get this notice?

Are Eir allowed to increase their charges every year legally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭tcif

We got the same note with our bill last week.

I have no idea if they're allowed increase their charges but it seems they're doing it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 542 ✭✭✭Nemanrio

tcif wrote: »
    We got the same note with our bill last week.

I have no idea if they're allowed increase their charges but it seems they're doing it anyway.

Surely consumer laws exist to protect from this sort of practice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 982 ✭✭✭VincePP

Nemanrio wrote: »
    Hi lads,

Got my bill yesterday, along with it a note to say they're increasing their charges by €2.

They can increase prices eevry day, or every hour if they wish. Private company

Details of price increase was in papers a couple of weeks ago.

If you are in a contract you have a right to leave without penalty (standard notice applies) - that is the only stipulation they have to follow.

Surely consumer laws exist to protect from this sort of practice?

a law against price increases?

Are you actually serious?????

Lets balance it with a law to say no pay increases - see the ridiculness of your post?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Claude Burgundy

VincePP wrote: »

If you are in a contract you have a right to leave without penalty (standard notice applies) - that is the only stipulation they have to follow.

They did and i was removed from my contract in 5 min. I stated the process on Feb 4th and my new service with Sky has already started:)

• Advertisement

Seems pointless then if they get you to sign a contract and then turn around changing it willy nilly. :rolleyes:

Its not as if cancelling the service is convenient.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

They wrote to us specifically on this a month ago and said we could cancel our contract without penalty if we wished. They gave plenty of notice of this.

a law against price increases?

Are you actually serious?????

Lets balance it with a law to say no pay increases - see the ridiculness of your post?

Ok mate, calm down, I'm talking about continually doing this sort of thing. This isn't a one off. The increased prices in the recent past as well.

They wrote to us specifically on this a month ago and said we could cancel our contract without penalty if we wished. They gave plenty of notice of this.

I only received this notice yesterday in the post. Didn't receive email or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

Just a public service announcement.

Do NOT cancel your service if moving to another provider. Do NOT listen to Eir telling you - you need to give 30 days notice.

Sky, vodaphone and a number of other providers need the eir line active to port people. Even speaking to them re a cancellation can result in an order being placed on the line locking it for other providers.

Note you must have a landline number to move to sky, they can't port broadband only lines.

• Advertisement

Seems pointless then if they get you to sign a contract and then turn around changing it willy nilly. :rolleyes:

Its not as if cancelling the service is convenient.

It's a 2 minute process on Sky or Vodafone's website with your tel number and UAN, with no billing crossover.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,399 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

We haven't got any notice as yet. However Eir rang us one evening last week trying to upsell our package and mentioned in passing how our current package would be increasing and that was the first we had heard of it which made us quite cross!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

I've been trying to get through to Eir for over 2 weeks now to discuss - their Customer Service has been abysmal of late - not even the Reps on here are responding.

I've been trying to get through to Eir for over 2 weeks now to discuss - their Customer Service has been abysmal of late - not even the Reps on here are responding.

I got though in 6 min to the number provived, i was removed from my contract in 2 min and 10 min later i has signed up to sky.

My sky is now active, it was a very simple and painless process that saved me a lot of money.

I got though in 6 min to the number provived, i was removed from my contract in 2 min and 10 min later i has signed up to sky.

My sky is now active, it was a very simple and painless process that saved me a lot of money.
    For 12 months - then see what sky charge! So be ready to switch again next feb:)

A good idea is to have all insurance, utilities and services such as tv and mobile all with similar contract ending times - then you feel its worth spending a day finding all the best deals

For 12 months - then see what sky charge! So be ready to switch again next feb:)

A good idea is to have all insurance, utilities and services such as tv and mobile all with similar contract ending times - then you feel its worth spending a day finding all the best deals

Sky haven't changed their BB or phone prices since launch. If you're riding offers between providers, fair enough in the majority of cases Sky have been the only one to offer deals for the majority, if not all of the contract. They've been about the only one to offer 12 month contracts.

Given it's so easy to move between Eir providers more power to you.

As I've said before, it's less about people being unhappy paying a 'rip-off price' and more about them feeling Paddy down the road is getting a better deal, Irish begrudgery at it's finest. It's so easy to manipulate people here, stick in an introductory low payment, it doesn't really matter how short it is or how long the contract is people will jump on it like it's the last turkey in the shop at Xmas.

Oh i agree, i always switch BUT the speed on the broadband has doubled since the move so its a win/win for us and with only 3 suppliers really choice isn't great.

Oh i agree, i always switch BUT the speed on the broadband has doubled since the move so its a win/win for us and with only 3 suppliers really choice isn't great.

There are more but be very careful when switching suppliers you don't end up on one with different equipment in the exchange. You can then only move back to Eir. Eir, Voda, Sky is hassle free but Magnet and Digiweb can be problematic. I have to admit though I'm not even sure if those providers are still going.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There are more but be very careful when switching suppliers you don't end up on one with different equipment in the exchange.

The only way you can "end up with different equipment" is if the exchange is unbundled and the provider has their own equipment (Sky for example use BT Ireland's equipment/network).

For the vast majority of exchanges especially in smaller towns the exchange is NOT unbundled so if you go with Sky, Digiweb, Vodafone, Eir its all the exact same equipment in the exchange....Eir's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭ssmith6287

Hi lads,

I got an email from them saying I could leave within 30 days penalty free so took up skys offer

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    The only way you can "end up with different equipment" is if the exchange is unbundled and the provider has their own equipment (Sky for example use BT Ireland's equipment/network).

For the vast majority of exchanges especially in smaller towns the exchange is NOT unbundled so if you go with Sky, Digiweb, Vodafone, Eir its all the exact same equipment in the exchange....Eir's.

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the kit involved but I can tell you for an absolute certainty that if you move to certain providers you can only move back to Eir.

I'd welcome an equally detailed answer as to why.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,035 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll bow to your superior knowledge of the kit involved but I can tell you for an absolute certainty that if you move to certain providers you can only move back to Eir.

I'd welcome an equally detailed answer as to why.

Crap customer care agents who cannot set up an account from scratch - that's it.

If you move to a LLU provider and then try to move to a bitstream reseller like Vodafone the normal phone operator won't be able to set you up as their need an Eir-connected line. They are entirely capable of organising this but most of them simply can't.

L1011 wrote: »
    Crap customer care agents who cannot set up an account from scratch - that's it.

If you move to a LLU provider and then try to move to a bitstream reseller like Vodafone the normal phone operator won't be able to set you up as their need an Eir-connected line. They are entirely capable of organising this but most of them simply can't.

Personally I think you're overestimating what a front line agent is empowered to do, what eir will play ball with and underestimating the commercial realalities of the situation.

Personally I think you're overestimating what a front line agent is empowered to do, what eir will play ball with and underestimating the commercial realalities of the situation.

Nope

All they need to do is raise an order for a new line. They're perfectly capable of doing so. Its a matter of training

If a telco refuse to do so, Comreg will have their arses on a plate for dinner. If Eir refuse to let them do so, its that times 100.

Nope

All they need to do is raise an order for a new line. They're perfectly capable of doing so. Its a matter of training

If a telco refuse to do so, Comreg will have their arses on a plate for dinner. If Eir refuse to let them do so, its that times 100.

Interesting, would you be good enough to link a source for this please? I'd be very interested to read up on that.

Interesting, would you be good enough to link a source for this please? I'd be very interested to read up on that.

Anything I could find on Eircom's side of things is now AWOL since Eircom Wholesale became "openeir"

The product most ISPs that are not LLU sell is "Bitstream IP". This is the one that needs an 'Eir line' connected to Eir's kit at the exchange

http://www.openeir.ie/Products/Broadband/Bitstream_IP/

The procedures for selling that allow you to order a new line or line migration from an LLU provider. This is a Comreg requirement on Eircom - the only reason they have either LLU or the wholesale products are due to Comreg requirements.

Anything I could find on Eircom's side of things is now AWOL since Eircom Wholesale became "openeir"

The product most ISPs that are not LLU sell is "Bitstream IP". This is the one that needs an 'Eir line' connected to Eir's kit at the exchange

http://www.openeir.ie/Products/Broadband/Bitstream_IP/

The procedures for selling that allow you to order a new line or line migration from an LLU provider. This is a Comreg requirement on Eircom - the only reason they have either LLU or the wholesale products are due to Comreg requirements.

I was aware of the comreg bit -in relation to them opening the market - I'll do some more digging on their resources. I'm keeping an open mind but I remain to be convinced that Eir are making it easy. I've some knowledge of the processes involved with one of their competitors although I'm not above admitting I could have been fed a BS line from that side.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

RAPs are open to everyone. Its enforced by COMREG and backed by legislation.

Eir must offer:
    The same deal to everyone
    The same service levels to everyone
    Inform them of new services with 1mo lead time and simultaneously

The problems customers see is sky refusing to pay for any provisioning tasks and also sales reps not having a clue about metallic path orders. If they can't use a UAN they don't understand and give up. Eir and BT offer it all though.

I can understand Sky not paying for provisioning tasks to be fair. If it's a commercial decision they make they obviously have a sound reason for doing it.

While I understand that one is technically correct in saying agents 'don't have a clue' I think it's unfair to lay any blame there. If a business does not want agents offering a particular service that's decision they're free to make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭eirbear1989

I am currently paying over €69 per month for internet, I don't have a phone but according to the eir sales rep I was dealing with it would have been cheaper to take the phone package as well as the unlimited internet package. Can I actually leave my contract based on the cost increase? If so I am gone!

Advertisement