Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Refusal To Allow Me To Progress

Options
  • 11-02-2016 1:07pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭

So I work for a company which is owned, managed and run by the same people as another company.

Recently there was a job vacancy in the other company which would allow me to progress my career and would open up many doors.
    The job I'm doing now I am consistently on top compared to other colleagues and I applied for this other job vacancy with it being very suitable.
    The company I'm in now is apparently starting to grow however I feel I have much, much more to offer and it's kind of dead-end.

Anyways, I was brought in to a private room this morning by the COO of both companies and told that I would have definitely got the job however a meeting took place between the CE and COO and they decided that weren't willing to let me leave this company as they need me to remain here during this growth period (growth being debatable as it's very cloak and dagger, but more business as far as I can tell is coming in and it is busier than it was a year ago). They said in 6 months there is another similar role coming up and he will guarantee me the job and apologised for holding me back.

I'm happy they have been honest with me, and I appreciate the kind words that were spoken, so I'm not on a witch hunt or anything, I just want to know where does this stand legally? I mean both companies are separate legal entities, so if I was working for some other company that had no connections, they would have offered me an interview at the very least.

Does anyone know if any of my rights have been affected? I only want to know for information purposes to educate myself and as I said, I'm not unhappy at the decision and if anything, grateful they have had a word and said these things.

Thanks for your input.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

As long as you're not denied on the big 7 they are pretty much in the clear.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

I'm not sure what that means, sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,743 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Nody wrote:
    As long as you're not denied on the big 7 they are pretty much in the clear.

It's the big 9, actually.
    I'm not sure what that means, sorry.

He means that they can't hold you back because of any of the 9 statuses that are protected in Irish equality leglisation, but other than that, they're in the clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,740 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

You are not entitled to a job. You are not entitled to a promotion. Its a process that you and others go through and the person who is picked may be successful for an infinite number of reasons: Personality, family connection, skills etc. If you don't get it you just move on and try again when you can but they don't have to explain themselves to you legally.

I think from reading your post they are happy to keep you as you are because you are good and reliable: that might be a stumbling block. If you keep getting refused and aren't happy with the reasons it might be time to look for another job. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,572 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This happened me in the past, nothing you can do.. I resigned my position over it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Yes even if the new department are willing to hire you, it totally within the right of the old department to request that you are not allowed to leave because it will affect their business.

Its a bit ****ty but not much you can do.

You could ask them to put an official offer on the table with a contract and a start date of 6 months in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

however a meeting took place between the CE and COO and they decided that weren't willing to let me leave this company as they need me to remain here during this growth period
    If they're not happy with you switching roles now, why would you think they'll allow you to switch roles at a later stage (for the other position in 6 months)? I'm thinking you'd be best looking for the new title in another company?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,998 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

If in six months you are called into a meeting room and told the same thing have your resignation typed to test them ask for a pay rise or retention bonus now

• Registered Users Posts: 5,866 ✭✭✭daheff

If it were me, I'd be looking elsewhere. Its quite clear this company & its 'sister' company dont care about your career progression (and dont really have to, if we're honest). So the person who does care is you...so enable your career and find a job away from both of these companies.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Did you get anything in writing?

If it was me, I'd be looking for an offer of the job in 6 months in writing and possibly a retention bonus to stay in your current role.

• Advertisement
Advertisement