Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Handing CV out in person?

• 11-02-2016 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

I want to hand my CV into retail shops/supermarkets and am wondering if I should put a cover letter with it? I have never handed in a CV in person and Im not really sure what way to present it at all.
    I have office experience but none in retail so it would be a real struggle to write a cover letter that wasn't full of utter BS so would like to avoid that if possible!

Id appreciate any advice or tips!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 295 ✭✭mattaiuseire

You want to copy loads of CV's, walk around town and go into shops, both that do have adverts in the window and that do not, ask to speak to the manager and talk about applying for any jobs.
    Have a check list to hand, write down the name of the shop, the name of the manager and make notes on what they say to you, i.e. "leave cv, will be contacted when something comes up", or "vacancy available in 2 weeks".
    Take down the telephone number of the store or Google it later.
    Make sure you build a good rapport with the manager/assistant manager so they remember you - don't forget, they probably get 10 people a day walk in and drop their CV in and then walk out.
    Make a difference to their life, no matter how small, make them laugh, find a common interest and have a little chat about it - make them remember you.
    Before you leave, you should have a good rapport, you should tell them something such as you are going to absolutely hound them on the telephone every day until they give you the chance to work there and show how good you will be (let them know you're obviously joking but at the same time serious).

When you have a list of 20 shops, think of it as 20 opportunities to land a job. When you get home, give it a day, start ringing each one up and tell them you came in for a chat yesterday, you're eager to go, you're willing to go on a trial to make sure both you and the employer are suited to each other, until someone gives in and gets you in for a trial.

Keep up with this method, it has always worked for me and I've never been out of work. Persistence is key. Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭SamBrugha

Do you just hand in your CV or do you include a cover letter? Im unsure of how to present it!

You can do if you want to look professional, but just keep in mind that people buy people, not words on a piece of paper. Selling yourself after you've created the opportunities for yourself is more important IMO.

Also keep in mind that the majority of CV's that are handed in go straight in the bin. Do what you can make sure yours doesn't.

so if I was applying in a supermarket or somewhere do you think it wouldn't look bad or anything if i just hand in the CV without a cover letter... just basic info about school/college/work

I would use a cover letter if you're applying for a supermarket because they will usually have an HR department it will go through.

If you're applying for small businesses i.e. local one man owned shops, deli's etc, then they usually wouldn't be bothered about that.

• Advertisement

To be honest you obviously feel better about using a cover letter, so use one on all applications regardless, at least you'll never be brought up over not using a cover letter.

i would be going in person to the store manager of the supermarket even tho its a chain, most people who work there seem to get their jobs by applying in person and not online.. does that make a difference to cover letter? again would rather not write one because i don't have retail experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

You want to copy loads of CV's, walk around town and go into shops,
    Great post, a mere "like" is not enough ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭jungleman

If you really want to boost your chances of getting a job, do include a cover letter. However, tailor each cover letter to the place you're applying for. Don't just send in a generic one, they're always overlooked and never read.

Might mean a bit more work, but pick out, say 20 places you want to apply for. Type out 20 individual cover letters stating why you would be suitable for the position, referring back to points in your CV as reasons.

It's a bit more work, but a tailor made cover letter will be read. A generic one won't.

i just wondered if for applying in person to a supermarket with a cover letter was really all that necessary? and i don't have experience in anything like that so it would be a lot of bs.. and there no specific job vacancy I am applying for...

• Advertisement

SamBrugha wrote: »
    i just wondered if for applying in person to a supermarket with a cover letter was really all that necessary? and i don't have experience in anything like that so it would be a lot of bs.. and there no specific job vacancy I am applying for...

Your cover letter should be a general overview of why you feel you would be suitable, you don't necessarily have to use your current or past experiences.

Here's an example:
    Dear XXX
    Please find attached my CV in application for the vacancy as a XXX.
    The nature of my personality I believe has prepared me for this position. It requires me to be self-motivated, have excellent communication skills, and due to the fast paced nature I ensure a variety of tasks are completed efficiently (or fill in with whatever bullshizzle).
    Past employment has given me the experience required in order to organise and prioritise effectively in order to complete duties. In addition, due to XXXX, I have XXX skills which are of paramount importance when dealing with customers and fellow colleagues. Furthermore, I am a quick learner with a keen eye for detail and I can adapt into a new environment with little effort.
    I should be very grateful for the opportunity to progress my career in this sector. I am able to take on the responsibility of this position immediately, and have the proficiency, enthusiasm and determination to ensure that I make a success of it.
    Thank you for your consideration.

You get the idea.

wow thank you mattaiuseire! :D

Advertisement