Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've a double room to let but have only got one call in 2 days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

thankfully I am not in the rental market or need to rent .. however on first look:

€700 per month for a single room that looks tiny, barely enough room for a bedside locker. The whole place looks tiny.

Also, sharing with a 44 y/o IT engineer who makes wine at home in a small apartment wouldn't be something that would appeal to the masses.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,631 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

The ad is worded as though the room is only available for one year, is that deliberate?

Ps. I'm sure you've done your research & that's the market value, but €700 for a cramped double room in a shared apartment, albeit in a nice area, holy sheet :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

The ad is worded as though the room is only available for one year, is that deliberate?

Ps. I'm sure you've done your research & that's the market value, but €700 for a cramped double room in a shared apartment, albeit in a nice area, holy sheet :eek:

Well i've been in that room for 2 years and it's not cramped.
    Changed the lenght to 1 year + now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

It is not a double room! it is a single/box room with a double bed fitted which even looks like one of those smaller 4' double beds rather than a full size 4'6" double bed. Kitchen area is tiny with no room for even pots and pans which have to be hung from the ceiling, Living area is desperately cramped.

That apartment is really only suitable for 1 person or a couple but not two people sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

murphyaii wrote: »

It looks like a single room with a double bed squeezed in. A 4ft bed would make the room look bigger.
    And the shower, what can I say, it looks manky. Well if you want honesty :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

I pay 500 for a room about twice the size with an en suite in Stillorgan. I wouldnt consider paying 700.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

sorry to be negative but it looks more like a single room with a double bed. Its more to rent that one small bedroom then it is for the mortgage of my three bed semi, granted its in drogheda but still!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

Take new pics and try not to aim the camera towards a light source. Tidy up the rooms and put a new bedspread on the bed to make it look more comfortable to anyone browsing ads on daft. At present it doesn't look worth visiting. Have a look at ads for other places in the area for ideas on how to improve your ad.

Take out the reference to the pub and wine making. Bus stop if it is right outside plus a pub could put people off re noise and drunk people. Say the bus stop is nearby on same street. Include any other amenities nearby such as cafes, parks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,200 ✭✭✭Arbiter of Good Taste

murphyaii wrote: »

In which case, take a better picture, as it looks like a double bed shoved into a tiny single room.

Get rid of any clutter - all the stuff on the kitchen counter, tea towels, towels in the bathroom and whatever is on the kitchen table, the glass table and what looks like the TV unit in the left hand corner.

Word it as "1+ year". The way you have it now, just looks like a typo. Can you not just leave it silent and discuss term with any potentials?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,564 ✭✭✭baldbear

To be paying €700 I would want something really special. The price & size of the apartment is not reasonable in my opinion.

If you were in a job where you could afford to pay €700 then you would really be expecting an en suite & a real classy place. I think its €100 overpriced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

That's a crazy price for a. the size of the bedroom and b. the size of the apartment, you would need to be cutting your asking price almost in half.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Jen44

also id move the bed to the other side of the room so its not on top of the rad and it would also give access to the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The market decides the price.

Look at your competition:
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/blackrock/castledawson-sion-hill-blackrock-dublin-864965/
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/dun-laoghaire/penthouse-granitefield-manor-dun-laoghaire-dublin-857477/

Aim for €500 but be prepared to negotiate down.

When taking pictures, as said do not take the picture towards a light source, but also switch on the lights inside the house, even if it's daytime. Having the lights on changes the way the camera processes the image and gives a truer reflection of what the room actually looks like in daytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

Prices are hard to know but looking at other places nearby on Daft it does look to be top of the price range. Have a look at them and re-evaluate your price relative to theirs. Or move into one of them.

psinno wrote: »
    Prices are hard to know but looking at other places nearby on Daft it does look to be top of the price range. Have a look at them and re-evaluate your price relative to theirs. Or move into one of them.

That's what I was thinking!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Your are overpricing (it's not worth 700), and over selling (it's not a double). Simple.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭PhoenixParker

What everyone else has said, but also show the rest of the bedroom. If there's storage you need to show it. Back when I was looking to rent rooms in house shares my main consideration was how to fit all my crap in a bedroom. You need to show that clearly. Actually that applies to the rest of the house. Declutter. In every photo I wonder where I'm going to fit, there's stuff in every available space.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Azalea

Lovely room and apartment but the asking rent is too high.

It could be a double imo, but a very cramped one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭mel123

Its a very small apartment that looks like its really only fit for one person in the first instance - the kitchen is tiny, the bathroom is tiny, bedroom tiny.
    This is whats wrong with the rental market at the moment, people think they can overcharge for any type of accommodation (OP im not having a dig at you, maybe its your landlord setting the price).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,364 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

mel123 wrote: »
    Its a very small apartment that looks like its really only fit for one person in the first instance - the kitchen is tiny, the bathroom is tiny, bedroom tiny.
    This is whats wrong with the rental market at the moment, people think they can overcharge for any type of accommodation (OP im not having a dig at you, maybe its your landlord setting the price).

This is what I was wondering.

It looks like a small apartment, and a tiny bedroom, sorry.

If that's the price OP is looking for for the second bedroom, either he's looking for someone to pay most of his rent, or else what on earth rent is he being charged in the first place? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Think you've got your answer OP. Basically, your price is an absolute rip-off.

emeldc wrote: »
    Wow! no comparison when you look at those two places.
    Second one is Monday to Friday rental, though - which explains the very low price sought. (well, very low in today's market!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭simdan

baldbear wrote:
    If you were in a job where you could afford to pay €700 then you would really be expecting an en suite & a real classy place. I think its €100 overpriced.

My thoughts too.. It's a nice area, although imagine trying to get ready for work in a room that small.

Closer to 500e pcm

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭vandriver

One of those examples is Monday to Friday only

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Double bedroom ?!!! Just because a double bed fits in doesn't make it a double bedroom. 700 quid for that? Sorry but its not surprising the uptake has been slow to non-existent.

edit:

this is only down the road for the same price with en-suite shower and parking...
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/dun-laoghaire/clifton-court-tivoli-terrace-south-dun-laoghaire-dublin-865500/

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    Second one is Monday to Friday rental, though - which explains the very low price sought. (well, very low in today's market!)

By my calculations, if you gross up for a 7 day week, its about €735 per month. Let's increase that to €800 per month - even €850 - for the convenience of not having to go away at the weekend. That's still much better value than what the OP is offering for €700

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I pay 450 for bigger room in a nicer house right in the city centre.

Your price is astronomical.

By my calculations, if you gross up for a 7 day week, its about €35 per month. Let's increase that to €800 per month - even €850 - for the convenience of not having to go away at the weekend. That's still much better value than what the OP is offering for €700
    Oh I'm in agreement with you on that!

I think OP has no hope of getting that price for the room as currently advertised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Some of the info is a bit dodgy looking as well. 10 minute walk to the dart? From there?

While I'm not sure there's much photography wizardry you could do to entice anyone to pay 700 quid for that, you could do a bit better than four crappy camera phone photos of the barely tidied place.

Advertisement