Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've a double room to let but have only got one call in 2 days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Goose81

Look to be perfectly blunt having grown up in the area you are in the two perceived worst locations would be Monkstown farm and Mount town.

You are pricing the apartment as if you are in one of the areas that closely surround it, which you arent. It is also a tiny box room and the apartment is just absolutely full of your stuff everywhere bar the bedroom. Its worth €450-500 max

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

for €700 i would have a 1 or 2 bed apartment on outskirts of town for the rent you are looking. Place looks cramped, kitchen looks like a bathroom , room for rent looks really bad for that type of money - Imagine you had a girl to bring home to that room :o loving aint gonna happen !

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭MrTom1

Also with the empty wine glass on the counter , clothes or towls hanging on the oven handle and the kitchen a mess i know alarm bells are ringing that the person sharing is messy and will be a snob who doesnt clean. This for me is a big thing , way too much stuff in that kitchen which means where is "MY" stuff going to go ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,731 ✭✭✭jam_mac_jam

It looks very cramped because of the clutter and stuff everywhere. Clean up and take pictures that are in focus. Also, you are priced way too high. That is crazy money. I would take 100 or 200 off.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,773 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Place is a mess, room is tiny, location is bad. 700 quid is a scandalous asking price, can't believe you actually got a call.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

murphyaii wrote: »
    I must be doing something wrong.
    I've never seen such a slow response to a room being available.
    I've posted the advert on daft.ie, easyroommate and gumtree but still only one interest.
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/dun-laoghaire/3-mount-town-road-lower-dun-laoghaire-dublin-865264/

any ideas?

Price
    Size

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

seamus wrote: »
    The market decides the price.

Look at your competition:
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/house-share/blackrock/castledawson-sion-hill-blackrock-dublin-864965/
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/dun-laoghaire/penthouse-granitefield-manor-dun-laoghaire-dublin-857477/

Aim for €500 but be prepared to negotiate down.

When taking pictures, as said do not take the picture towards a light source, but also switch on the lights inside the house, even if it's daytime. Having the lights on changes the way the camera processes the image and gives a truer reflection of what the room actually looks like in daytime.

Tbf, your place looks like a dump compared to these two. Says to me you are a grabby/no contact landlord.

I'd pay €400 max for your place, and would expect bills to be included.

I've lived in a lot of really nice place over the years with much lower asking prices in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭emeldc

Tbf, your place looks like a dump compared to these two. Says to me you are a grabby/no contact landlord.

I'd pay €400 max for your place, and would expect bills to be included.

I've lived in a lot of really nice place over the years with much lower asking prices in Dublin.

He's not the landlord.
    You might want to throw up a few links for places in south Dublin for €400 inc bills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Have rented a far far nicer double room with ensuite in Cork City recently for 500/mo. I know it's not Dublin, but accommodation in Cork is scarce as well.

Disgustingly overpriced at 700/mo for that single room with a double bed wedged in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,995 ✭✭✭Theboinkmaster

I've posted the advert on daft.ie, easyroommate and gumtree but still only one interest.
    http://www.daft.ie/dublin/apartment-share/dun-laoghaire/3-mount-town-road-lower-dun-laoghaire-dublin-865264/

any ideas?

TBH you should be ashamed of yourself for living in a place like that and expecting someone else to also - and pay €700.

This is exactly what's wrong with the Dublin rental market.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Carlos Orange

TBH you should be ashamed of yourself for living in a place like that and expecting someone else to also - and pay €700.

That is a bit much.

psinno wrote: »
    That is a bit much.

I don't think so - OP is obviously lazy, greedy & stupid.

- take pictures in dark
    - don't make bed properly or pull curtains open fully
    - have bed against radiator
    - take pictures facing the light
    - don't de-clutter apartment
    - don't clean apartment
    - ask for €700 per month
    - talks about making wine at home
    - wonders why he's only getting 1 call

I mean what the absolute fvck :eek:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

any ideas?

Well...

Its grossly overpriced for what is essentially a box room...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

Where is that mentioned in the ad? I looked earlier when someone else mentioned it and didn't see it then either.

Where is that mentioned in the ad? I looked earlier when someone else mentioned it and didn't see it then either.

he removed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

he removed it.
    Thanks, was starting to doubt my ability to read :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭Butters1979

I don't think so - OP is obviously lazy, greedy & stupid.

- take pictures in dark
    - don't make bed properly or pull curtains open fully
    - have bed against radiator
    - take pictures facing the light
    - don't de-clutter apartment
    - don't clean apartment
    - ask for €700 per month
    - wonders why he's only getting 1 call

I mean what the absolute fvck

You forgot 'Nazi sympathiser'.

Seriously you have some chip on your shoulder. He's entitled to live however he wants and put up his add whatever way he feels and charge what he feels he can get.

If this stops him from getting much interest, which it clearly has, then that's his problem not yours. At least he's asking for opinions.

To OP, as others have said €700 seems way to much for me for what you're offering. I'd expect €500 at most.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

The personal abuse needs to stop. Report, don't retort

Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Mitzy

€700 for a single room.
    My mortgage on a 3 bed semi doesn't cost that!!

OP I would suggest that you take the ad down and firstly rethink your price and retake your photo's.
    I would re position the bed as other's have suggested and strip it down to have one clean sheet over it.
    Tidy up the kitchen and clear away the clutter & the towels hanging around.
    Give the place a good clean so that it looks inviting to prospective tenants.

I have no doubt that you will rent it but no one is going to pay that price for what is essentially a single room.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭jester77

There are too many problems with that room. The bed is too big for the room it is in, you cannot even walk around the bed due to an obstacle at the end. Someone is going to have a lot of bruised shins. What about storage, there looks to be zero space for hanging up clothes. The bed is pushed right up against the radiator, it is blocking the room from being properly heated and will make the bed overly warm. Whatever about the price, the layout is just wrong. It might be ok for a guest staying over for 1 night, but it is far from ideal for long term living.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Torricelli

At least there's not much hope of the tenant falling out of the bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭selous

The directions/amenities,
    Is the Dart a 10 minute walk?
    Tesco a 3 minute walk, to which one?
    McCormacks Pub is in Mounttown, not Glenageary, which is a wee stroll away, if I remember right

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭snowey07

To put it into perspective

I rent my spare room in Phibsboro out. Its a small double with single wardrobe and chest of drawers. Its in a house with a small outdoor space, a very big kitchen and the entire house is insulated with a combi boiler so bills are very low.

I charge €600 a month

I would really recommend lowering your price and taking some new photos after moving some personal stuff like clothes etc out of shot. Also try and make it look as light and inviting as possible. People need to be able to imagine themselves living there and thats hard at the moment with your things in every shot bar the bedroom

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Going by what you've posted, there would literally not be enough space for me to stay for 2 weeks never mind live there... Where's the wardrobe? Where's the chest of drawers?

Why is the bathroom manky? How often do you bang your head off suspended pots while cooking.

Oh look, your crap is all over the place (to you I'm sure it's great stuff... To a housemate.. It's someone else's crap taking up space!). I guess that means I'll get one tiny press in the kitchen?!

Seriously....

Were you actually paying that much while living in that room???

Advert also reads like you are looking for two males or two females but that they not be couples.....

The beds a bit small in that case :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

I'd say the roommate moved out of the bigger room, and he's trying to cover his rent, but takes the bigger room for himself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Also OP... Please don't take offence to this but...

I'd change the details about yourself to "One male professional"... Don't tell them you're a 44 yo male IT engineer...

I'm sure you're lovely and not at all weird (sincerely) because you obviouly have successfully house-shared... But if I was scrolling through ads I'd be thinking there was a bit too much potential for you to be a bit.. Odd.

I know that's not fair, but if you want real feedback.. There it is. As I said, I'm sure you're grand, but if you want to at least be judged on how you are rather than what people assume based on one line in an ad for a room, it might be best to keep the details a bit less so that they actually make contact.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,298 ✭✭✭Goose81

I see you have now said opposite McCormacks pubs, so you are the good end of Mounttown.

You are right to have changed it to Dun laoghaire. Take out the Glenageary bit, the pub is no where near glenageary.

I would lower the price by 50 quid and you need to take better pics man and de clutter, once you do that your giving yourself the best shot.

Change the dart to a 15 minute walk, tesco to 5 minute.

Some of the personal attacks on this thread are disgusting btw and no way deserved.

The apartment is a good location and will let but the pics are letting it down the most.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,920 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

First thing you need to do is take better pics. The lighting in them is pretty bad, they look like they were taken with a bad phone camera. The photos are the first impression people will get of the place, so you really want them to sell the place; use the best camera you can get your hands on and take loads of pics from different angles.

The bedroom looks really cramped, especially with the bed rammed up against the radiator, and in fairness I think it's a bit cheeky calling that a double room. Most 'single' bedrooms can accommodate a double bed, however (as is the case here) there's feck all room for around the bed. To me a double room would have enough space to allow you to be able to comfortably walk around both sides of the bed. Am I right in saying that the reason that the bed is up against the wall with the radiator is so that you can plug in a lamp in the socket in the other wall? If I were you, I'd get a trailing socket/extension cord, run it behind the headboard, and switch the bedside table and bed around.

I'd also take more pics of the bedroom - one from the angle you currently have, showing the bed, but then also one from the head of the bed, showing what sort of wardrobes/storage/other space there is in the room. Make the bed neatly as well, at the minute it looks a bit thrown-together.

The bathroom needs to be given a really good scrub - that shower looks filthy, you need to get in there with a toothbrush and some bleach and get rid of that black gunk in the grouting. Make sure the little storage caddy under the sink is pushed in neatly, and for the love of god get rid of the manky looking towel hanging on the shower door. I'd also remove the one on the towel rail for good measure.

The kitchen needs a tidy up also. Too much clutter on the counter, and it looks like on of the upper cupboard doors is half open. Also I don't know what the heck is hanging off the handle on the oven door, but you need to get rid of it, it looks like clothes or something. Those things combined with the dirty dishes on the draining board, sugar bowl sitting on the counter, and pics of the bathroom make it look like you're a messy housemate, and nobody wants that.

The only thing I can see in the living room is that it's full of clutter. You need to clear a bit of that out, clear off the dinner table entirely, and take at least 3 more pics from different angles. The fact that your current pic includes a significant portion of door-frame makes it look like there's not enough room to swing a cat in there - not even enough room to get in and take a good picture. What's to the right and the left of the doorframe? Get some pics of that in.

I'd change the description to something like this:
    • Double bedroom €700 per month
    • 1 person currently living in apartment
    • Apartment is not owner occupied
    • Looking for male or female housemate (couples not accepted)

Double room available for 1 year in 2 bedroom apartment on Lower Mounttown Road (just opposite McCormack's pub)
    Modern building with own-door entry.
    Current occupant is male professional. Seeking housemate to move in from Feb 21st.
    Bus stop for 46a less than 1 min walk away, 15 mins walk to Dart, 5 mins walk to Tesco.
    Apartment is non-smoking inside, however it is permitted outside.
    Looking for male or female professional.
    Room available to view Thursday 11th and Friday 12th of Feb between 7pm and 9pm

What's the story with bills? Are they included in the rent (TBH for that price, they'd want to be). Is there wifi, etc? Also in my example above, change the distance to the Dart and Tesco, a quick check on google maps shows that the Dart is about a 15 min walk.

Honestly, I think you've over-priced it by a fair bit. Look around on Daft and see what is being charged for a room in your area. Bear in mind that the common areas seem quite small, so you'll be up against house-shares that might offer a bit more living space. Your pictures are really letting it down.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

There's not really much to add. In answer to the question about the wardrobe, I assumed the OP was standing in it! :pac:

The thing I did want to add though is it's not as bad out there as the hype would have you believe. The hype generates a lot of interest (well not in your case but I'll come onto that) but you'll find most people find something and very few of your initial enquiries turn into viewings and fewer still turn into serious potential tenants.

At that level you'd see people moving to another area, for example I rent a room out much closer to the CC in Kilbarrack for less than €500 a month. It's a pretty big room with every amenity and in a large enough house with a pretty decent garden. If I was in the market for a room, I might actually consider €700 but it would have to have an en suite and be big enough for me to spend all my home time in. Otherwise I'd look for something cheap and cheerful and find something else to do with the cash.

As for the barrage of abuse, jesus people, the guy's a bit clueless (not intended as person abuse OP) but at least he had the good sense to ask! Best of luck with it OP, I'd suggest a more realistic price of about €500 a month, probably to include bills. Also I wouldn't be in a rush to remove your personality from the ad. Yes it will put some people off but frankly they're probably people you didn't want to share with in the first place.

Edit: incidentally serviced normally means professionally cleaned regularly with the beds made etc.

Advertisement