Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've a double room to let but have only got one call in 2 days

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭cassid

OP would definitely take all the positive advice offered here, a little more effort on presentation and lowering the amount sought as it is a tiny double room, you should be able to get out both sides of the bed, I have a 4 bed house, and you are not far off my mortgage. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Giblet wrote: »
    I'd say the roommate moved out of the bigger room, and he's trying to cover his rent, but takes the bigger room for himself.
    I'm inclined to agree.

=-=

Picture two shows that this is probably the 1st floor, but the 1st photo leads me to think it's the ground floor.

As said, move the bed to the other side. take a picture from the wall you're facing to where you were standing.

Picture 5 shows a lot of clutter. It also needs multiple pictures from a good camera.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Did you not think the apartment looked really bad when you looked at the photos? Aside from the high price of the rent, what put me off straight away were the poor photos and the state of the place. It's obvious that the place is a glorified shoebox but that just makes it even more important that it's kept clean and tidy. I wouldn't like to visit the place, let alone rent it. You really need to either declutter or find somewhere to stash your stuff. There's far too many of what appears to be your things in the communal areas. If I moved in there I'd feel like I was competing with your belongings for space.

If you're not too handy at taking photos, can you get a friend to dig you out? Or failing that, Google some articles about how to take photos. If you have the chance at all, try to take some photos on a sunny day. It makes the place look a lot less miserable.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Pretty funny this.

How are you getting on OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭BobBobBobBob

Looks a fair depressing place, better off spending the €700 in the pub for month!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭magicmoves

6,214 views - Are they all boards viewers:)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I admire your optimism.
    I presume you are paying 1400pm rent and trying to split it.
    The pictures are terrible.
    The bedroom look a like a box room,the bathroom needs a clean,and the picture of the kitchen makes it look tiny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

selous wrote: »
    The directions/amenities,
    Is the Dart a 10 minute walk?
    Tesco a 3 minute walk, to which one?
    McCormacks Pub is in Mounttown, not Glenageary, which is a wee stroll away, if I remember right

I lived in one of these apartments (a few doors down from this one) for about 4 years up until Easter last year when we sold to move to countryside.
    The DART is a 20 minute walk. You might do it in 15 mins if you're an energetic git but certainly you're not doing it in ten without sprinting the whole way there.
    There is a very good bus service to city centre from the front gate of these apartments, dont know if he mentioned this in the advert but it was a big plus, for me anyway.

Yes Tesco actually is only a 3 minute walk, a newly built one.

McCormacks Pub is directly across the road. (lovely pub too)

The area itself is actually very nice, most of the people living in that complex are too, plus the common areas are very well maintained, and the apartment really is mainly just being let down by the lack of photography skills and clutter along with the place needing a tidy up, thats all really.
    The sitting/dining area is really big but you wouldn't think it going on the photo, not to mention the spare room's state in the pic.

Still, the price seems too high imo. However, just thought I'd throw in my few comments seeing as I lived there (very happily) til recently.

I think people are being harsh on the op. It's very expensive and I wouldn't pay it (or even close to that for a room no matter how big) but chances are it's the LL setting the price not the op so people saying to reduce the price need to take that into account.

The place looks fairly small but I don't see where people are seeing all the mess and clutter. I wish the househares I live in/have lived in were kept as clean and tidy as that place in both kitchen/living room and the bathroom.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭murphyaii

Giblet wrote: »
    I'd say the roommate moved out of the bigger room, and he's trying to cover his rent, but takes the bigger room for himself.

Giblet is this weeks winner.

Actually the pictures don't do it justice.

There is more room just that the wardrobe isn't included on the left.

housemate is moving out and i'm taking the other room.

Rent in the area is same.

mccormacks pub is actually glenegeary not mount town since they've changed the local addresses recently.

any more abuse is welcome as i take good points and ignore negative remarks.

but thanks all for the tips.

also making wine was supposed to be an added advantage as the new person gets free plonk.

• Advertisement

If you do nothing else, take down those photos and replace them with better ones. Turn the phone/camera sideways when you're taking them to give yourself more width. Take lots and lots of photos from different angles - at least then when you look at them on the computer you'll have some choice. Rooms look better if they're photographed in daylight - if you're not working this weekend, take the opportunity to get snapping. If you're not too au fait with image editing, use a simple image editor such as Picasa to tart them up a bit.

If you do nothing else, take down those photos and replace them with better ones. Turn the phone/camera sideways when you're taking them to give yourself more width. Take lots and lots of photos from different angles - at least then when you look at them on the computer you'll have some choice. Rooms look better if they're photographed in daylight - if you're not working this weekend, take the opportunity to get snapping. If you're not too au fait with image editing, use a simple image editor such as Picasa to tart them up a bit.

I will do thanks.

Pics were taken during the week at night as i had to work during the days.

It gives you time to do a tidy up and to move the bed as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,404 ✭✭✭fletch

This place actually looks like it's in the same development...shows the difference a good picture can make! (and a good clean! :))

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

fletch wrote: »
    This place actually looks like it's in the same development...shows the difference a good picture can make! (and a good clean! :))

A lovely super wide angle lens always helps. But definitely looks a lot better. Still not 700 quid better though.

No wardrobe space.

No room to swing a cat.

You or your landlord are having such a laugh charging €700 for that. Goddamn ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

murphyaii wrote: »
    I will do thanks.

Pics were taken during the week at night as i had to work during the days.

the asking price is still a big issue here. In a city with a massive supply problem if you are only getting a handful of enquiries your asking price is way too high.

Three things can be done.

Take better pictures.

Move the bed away from the storage heater.

Reduce the price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭boredatwork82

That is an awful room. And €700. Disgraceful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 534 ✭✭✭eezipc

Sooooo, this room has been viewed 7,169 times and the OP has not taken up anybodies recommendations.
    Me-thinks he might be looking for a bit of publicity and fair dues to him, it worked.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

The problem is that no amount of publicity will make someone pay €700 for it.

Fun thread. :)

Mr E wrote: »
    The problem is that no amount of publicity will make someone pay €700 for it.

Fun thread. :)

You would be surprised, some of the places renting for 1400 or 1500 now that were expensive for what they are at 1000 and they are snapped up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,736 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

The place looks fairly small but I don't see where people are seeing all the mess and clutter. I wish the househares I live in/have lived in were kept as clean and tidy as that place in both kitchen/living room and the bathroom.

In fairness, Nox, I don't think it's being unrealistic to say that your idea of clean doesn't tie in with most people's, based on previous posts on the subject.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Lol, that's the apartment we sold last year, the one I mentioned earlier in the thread! Thanks for the compliment on the cleaning haha

Dial Hard wrote: »
    In fairness, Nox, I don't think it's being unrealistic to say that your idea of clean doesn't tie in with most people's, based on previous posts on the subject.

Well I wouldn't say that, that place doesn't look bad to me and some people are saying its a total state which it isn't imo. As house shares go (from my experience of them) that place is in pretty ok shape, whether I like it or not it's impossible to keep a place clean and tidy when others living there have no interest so you just give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Buttercake

Is the overall rent for the apartment €710?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

In fairness to the OP the apartment doesn't so much look unclean it just looks cluttered. The use of the dodgy cameraphone isn't helping as it appears to be adding a grainy effect (low light) to the images which give the pictures a grimy appearance.

OP, I really would retake all of the photographs. A little bit of staging wouldn't hurt either. I'm not talking about redecorating or re-arranging furniture:

Clear the tables, shelves, work surfaces. From the photos it looks like there's not a single flat surface in the apartment that isn't 'occupied'.
    Remove the shampoo bottles, soaps, toothbrushes etc.
    Hang fresh towels in the bathroom.
    Take the hanging pans down (preferably permanently but at least for the photos).
    Remove the drooping tea towels.
    Hide the footstool (it looks like a couch at first glance making the lounge appear narrow).
    Hide at least one of the rugs, they add to the cluttered feel and make the lounge look smaller.
    Organise the cushions properly, the casually chucked look isn't great.
    Straighten the table/chairs.
    Light the rooms properly, open the curtains and blinds.
    Fresh bedding on the bed.
    Consider boxing some of the contents of the shelves in the lounge.

You don't notice these things when you live in the place but I think the cluttered appearance is your worst enemy here, it really makes it look like you'd have to pick your way through the rooms. It shouldn't take you 20 minutes to sort that out.

Because this property has so many views now it would put me off:))))))))))

It is that development.
    number 3 house further down.
    amazing what a difference there is in those pics to mine?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭timmy880

€700 for that is mental....... I judge the one person who called

Advertisement