Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I've a double room to let but have only got one call in 2 days

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

It looks grim.

or

The photos don't do it justice.

Reduce the rent or be more creative with the photos i.e. photoshop

• Registered Users Posts: 478 ✭✭tina1040

Is there a sofa? Where would you both sit in at night to watch telly? Ok for partners or mates but it looks a bit cramped for strangers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

hobie21 wrote: »
    It looks grim.

or

The photos don't do it justice.

Reduce the rent or be more creative with the photos i.e. photoshop

the photoshop stretch tool is very popular. worth a try. i thought 2 metre wide microwaves were a thing of the past...i thought wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 33,637 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Like night and day between the 2 properties listed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,370 ✭✭✭pconn062

fletch wrote: »
    This place actually looks like it's in the same development...shows the difference a good picture can make! (and a good clean! :))

Agreed about the much improved photos, however even in those photos it is still a single room with a double bed jammed in.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

murphyaii wrote: »
    It is that development.
    number 3 house further down.
    amazing what a difference there is in those pics to mine?

To be honest, the only time our place looked that "neat" was when we were selling it.
    But you have to put in the effort for the desired end result. We spent about 5 days to get it into that shape and the main thing we did was just empty it.
    Go minimalist. You'll notice from the pics that we had a shed out the back.
    Well... it was the worlds emptiest shed before we listed it but it was packed prior to the photo-shoot.
    Anything we could remove to de-clutter the place was removed.
    End result, apartment looks quite big. And as you know yourself the sitting/dining area actually IS big, so you need to highlight that, not hide it.
    For me that's the biggest "plus" of those apartments so you need to accentuate the positive.
    Also, the decking out the back, throw out a few plants and make it look colourful. They're good decking areas, show it off. (cant recall if you even had a pic of the decking but anyway...)
    Pots and pans in your kitchen pic are an eye-sore. Ours was same as yours size wise but just empty it and voila, looks better.

I don't think we worked any miracles, we just made it look about 8/10 of what it can be.
    Whereas you've grossly under-sold the potential appeal of yours.

Lastly, we didn't take the photos of our place on that link, auctioneer did, but you'll notice that every light in the place was on, it makes it look bigger and more attractive.
    Clean all the windows, turn on all the lights, take the pics on a sunny day, and perhaps get someone handy with photography to take them for you.
    Then treat them to a few pints in McCormacks and slightly lower your asking price and you'll be fine.
    They're lovely apartments, best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,077 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

You're been greedy, 700e for that!? Even if you do try to make it look more appealing you're not going to get 700e unless there's a Butler, laundry and maid service.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

murphyaii wrote: »
    It is that development.
    number 3 house further down.
    amazing what a difference there is in those pics to mine?
    You used the phone on your camera. They used a proper camera that has options to alter the amount of light a photo gets.

If you have an android phone, perhaps get Camera FV-5, and with trial and error, find out how to take some impressive photos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭rawn

the_syco wrote:
    You used the phone on your camera.

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

This thread highlights the difference in rents between Dublin and the rest of the country. My tenant moved from Dublin to my brand new house an hour away and is paying €700 for the whole 4 bedroom house. It's easy to see why when you see small rooms like this on offer for the same price.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,934 ✭✭✭MarkAnthony

...you're not going to get 700e unless there's a Butler, laundry and maid service.

In fairness he's listed it as serviced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,075 ✭✭✭Rasmus

Rents in that area are crazy, there's no denying it. The problem with this ad is that the apartment looks messy, even dirty, and does not look welcoming - it screams 'there's no room for anyone else's stuff'.
    This is what would make me x out of the listing immediately.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Murt10

OP, you want to take the real double bedroom, probably with an ensuite and you want twp people to pay the same as you for a boxroom with a double bed in it.

And you won't accept couples. How is the person sleeping against the radiator going to get out of bed if they are not on intimate terms with their bedmate?

It's a small boxroom with a double bed squeezed into it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Murt10 wrote: »
    And you won't accept couples. How is the person sleeping against the radiator going to get out of bed if they are not on intimate terms with their bedmate?

:confused:

No couples generally means it's a room for 1 person not that you're expected to share the bed with a stranger.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭Leogirl

Hi thanks for that. How did you get the students in for short lets, thanks. I think I might cope with that, or a Monday to Friday set up. I live near two colleges 3rd level, I could check with the colleges I reckon and be PROACTIVE! I'm a bit nervous of it though having lived alone for so long and set in my ways I suppose!

I used easyroomate.ie. lots of foreign students there. I never had any trouble with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Murt10 wrote: »
    OP, you want to take the real double bedroom, probably with an ensuite and you want twp people to pay the same as you for a boxroom with a double bed in it.

It's a small boxroom with a double bed squeezed into it.

I'm pretty sure the OP is probably paying less than 700.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Giblet wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the OP is probably paying less than 700.

Looking at the price of 2 bed apartments in the very limited available number of properties in the area, I wouldn't be as sure as you.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

Graham wrote: »
    Looking at the price of 2 bed apartments in the very limited available number of properties in the are, I wouldn't be as sure as you.

I say this because he has admitted to taking the bigger room, but passing the former tenants rent to the smaller room. It isn't beyond the realms of possibility then that he wants to maintain the current level of rent he was paying for the smaller room, and that he was paying less than his roommate.

Graham wrote: »
    :confused:

No couples generally means it's a room for 1 person not that you're expected to share the bed with a stranger.

Advert says

"Looking for either males or females (Couples not accepted)"

If he only wanted one person in the bed he would have said 'looking for a male or a female'. He must be a bit prudish when he is insisting on same sex sharing but no couples....

Advert says

"Looking for either males or females (Couples not accepted)"

If he only wanted one person in the bed he would have said 'looking for a male or a female'. He must be a bit prudish when he is insisting on same sex sharing but no couples....

That's a standard daft sentence. You tick a box that either says males only, females only or males and females. There is no option to edit it or change to to a male or female in that section of the ad.

• Advertisement
Advertisement