Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Solid wood beech floor - keep or change?

Options
  • 11-02-2016 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭

I really need some advice. I have a solid wood beech (I think) floor. It is about 13 years old. It has some large gaps between the boards showing now (one spot where there was a leak from above and got damaged and others wear and tear) and as it is in part of my kitchen as well - you really need to use a mop on it to get it clean which is not the best I know for solid wood.

I'm thinking about taking it all up and putting down tiles. I got a quote for travertine and it works out about €115 per square yard ..... I've 80 sq yards to cover ..... :eek:

I'm now rethinking ! Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

justagirl wrote: »
    I really need some advice. I have a solid wood beech (I think) floor. It is about 13 years old. It has some large gaps between the boards showing now (one spot where there was a leak from above and got damaged and others wear and tear) and as it is in part of my kitchen as well - you really need to use a mop on it to get it clean which is not the best I know for solid wood.

I'm thinking about taking it all up and putting down tiles. I got a quote for travertine and it works out about €115 per square yard ..... I've 80 sq yards to cover ..... :eek:

I'm now rethinking ! Any advice?

Only you can decide. I've seen nice laminate for as little as 10 euro sq/yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

How big is big in relation to the gaps? Obviously it can be sanded and varnished again and its amazing how much damage can be removed and how fresh it will look.

Do you have underfloor heating?

Advertisement