Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get SaorView Channels with aerial inside the house + SaorView Box

• 11-02-2016 2:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭

I have a smart TV without inbuilt SaorView. I would like to know with a combination of tv aerial placed inside the room connected to TV+ SaorView Box, would I get saorview channels?

I dont want to place the TV aerial on top of my house and would like to keep the aerial on top of the TV stand. Would this work?

Appreciate any help in this regard...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭Thurston?

What's the make & model of the TV? Would have thought 'smart' models would be recent enough to work with Saorview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,051 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Depends where your living. Plenty of people have internal aeriels and they are working fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭TestLink

Thurston? wrote: »
    What's the make & model of the TV? Would have thought 'smart' models would be recent enough to work with Saorview.

My TV is LG 49UB820V. It has Antenna / Cable and Satellite ports on its back.

Do I need a Saorview Box or I just need an aerial connected to the Antenna port on the back of the TV?

I live in Lucan, Dublin.

ITguru wrote: »
    My TV is LG 49UB820V. It has Antenna / Cable and Satellite ports on its back.

I'd be very surprised if that TV doesn't work fine with Saorview.

Just sort yourself out with the necessary aerial.

Thurston? wrote: »
    I'd be very surprised if that TV doesn't work fine with Saorview.

Just sort yourself out with the necessary aerial.

What aerial would I need - UHF / VHF?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,905 ✭✭✭steveon

What aerial would I need - UHF / VHF?

You need a UHF aerial for Saorview there are different bands for different areas, or a wideband usually will cover all areas but best to use specific band for transmitter required.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

My sister lives in Lucan and we tested an indoor aerial downstairs some years ago, reception was hit and miss so we mounted the aerial outdoors. An attic install might work with the extra height.

Kippure transmitter covers Lucan, UHF channels 54 & 58.

This Group T wideband aerial covers those frequencies now and in the future when the frequencies are moved down the band in 2019/20.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

According to google search that TV is Ultra HD so it must be full HD inbuilt as well and should work fine for Saorview. BTW I think this thread should be in terrestrial and not satellite section of forums.

Also OP, you already know Saorview is just the Irish channels: RTE, TV3, TG4, UTV Ireland?

If you want free UK channels with that TV, at your location, you'll have to get a satellite dish & hook up the satellite connection.

I tried connecting a Aerial to the back of my TV and scanned for channels. But no channels got listed in the search. So is Indoor Aerial + Saorview Box + TV combination, the only workable solution?

• Advertisement

I tried connecting a Aerial to the back of my TV and scanned for channels. But no channels got listed in the search. So is Indoor Aerial + Saorview Box + TV combination, the only workable solution?

What type of aerial did you use?
    As already said an indoor aerial may not be good enough.

I tried an Aerial with UHF and VHF selector. I tried switching between both but was not able to get a single channel in the searches.

I tried an Aerial with UHF and VHF selector. I tried switching between both but was not able to get a single channel in the searches.

Assuming it's an indoor aerial? No TV on VHF.

Go with a proper UHF aerial like the one I mentioned above, mounted either in the attic or outdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭maik3n

I have one of these yolks from Lidl up in the attic.
    http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/dvb-t-indoor-aerial/5146807

Perfect reception on my LG smart tv and my ferguson ariva stb. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,054 ✭✭✭Digifriendly

maik3n wrote: »
    I have one of these yolks from Lidl up in the attic.
    http://www.adverts.ie/satellite/dvb-t-indoor-aerial/5146807

Perfect reception on my LG smart tv and my ferguson ariva stb. :cool:

You must have a clear line of sight to transmitter if this aerial is in the attic as it's an indoor one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 597 ✭✭✭maik3n

You must have a clear line of sight to transmitter if this aerial is in the attic as it's an indoor one.
    I don't know how or why it works, lol, but it was the only viable solution after my Uncle took down his proper roof aerial.

He was told it was useless after the switch-over to Saorview. I'm still amazed, in this day and age to find flyers/leaflets around advertising aerial removal services? :confused:

maik3n wrote: »
    I'm still amazed, in this day and age to find flyers/leaflets around advertising aerial removal services? :confused:

There are thousands of obsolete and soon to be obsolete MMDS aerials on roofs around the country that VM/UPC won't remove without a fee.

Advertisement