Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does Today FM need a revamp ?

• 11-02-2016 2:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭

The ratings for all weekday shows apart from Dempsey have been in decline for some time.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

Hmmm, there's one major change I'd make.

I'd drop Louise Duffy in the afternoon as she is simply an awful presenter. Really really awful. Recently Paula McSweeney (of the 5-7am slot) filled in for her in the afternoon for a week or so, she was a MUCH better presenter, made the show enjoyable.

Apart from that I think the line up is quite strong. Fergal D'Arcy has been doing a good job on the 7-9pm slot since his introduction a few months ago.

What would your revamp suggestions be?

<snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Personal taste and all that, but I cannot see how anyone can think that Baula MgZweeney is a better presenter than anyone.

On topic - Id give Dermot & Dave the heave ho and leave dead air playing instead as it would be more entertaining and less contrived than their schtick.

I agree that at times D&D can be a little hard to stomach, but at other times they can be very entertaining, again personal taste I suppose.

I can't describe what irks me so much about Louise Duffy, just does not at all seem a natural at it, sounds forced, pretentious, condescending even.

boards... please! fix this double post issue!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I don't think it does - D&D would be my least fave but thankfully they are at lunch time, so I can pop out. We have TodayFM on in the office all day.
    I don't like the stand-in presenters...
    Hector for Ian - WHY??
    Hugh Linehan for Matt...can't Anton do a double shift?
    Paula was actually a good replacement for Louise...she will surely get her own daytime/weekend peak slot in the next few years

I am just wondering what TodayFM/Newstalk will do when Hook retires, will they move Matt to Newstalk & put a music drivetime show in for the evening slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,824 ✭✭✭robo

I don't think it does - D&D would be my least fave but thankfully they are at lunch time, so I can pop out. We have TodayFM on in the office all day.
    I don't like the stand-in presenters...
    Hector for Ian - WHY??
    Hugh Linehan for Matt...can't Anton do a double shift?
    Paula was actually a good replacement for Louise...she will surely get her own daytime/weekend peak slot in the next few years

I am just wondering what TodayFM/Newstalk will do when Hook retires, will they move Matt to Newstalk & put a music drivetime show in for the evening slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

I change station when I hear Dermot & Dave coming on. I literally cant stand them. I tune back in once they have finished. Im a big fan of the last word

Im a big fan of the last word

Same here, usually a good 2hrs, especially the first 60-90mins. Although I have to admit it does feel like it's going a bit flat lately. I wonder if apathy is starting to creep in. I can imagine one would get quite disillusioned with the never ending barrage of political nonsense he has to put up at times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭Badabing

Agree the Last Word is very good, maybe re jig the back room team producer etc... Not a fan of Duffy at all she was good in the morning 5-7 tho

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

Dump Louise Duffy in the ocean, she's terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,071 ✭✭✭✭neris

I wouldnt mind if dermot n dave disappeared n took louise duffy with them. I like the last word think matt cooper is good as he can do serious and fun. I like their friday evening/night line from 430 on even cheesy cawley. On saturday morning the last thing i want to listen to is alison curtis and her waffling to some parent who wont shut the **** up about their kids

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Dermot and Dave are the best thing on Irish radio never mind today fm. They better be kept where they are for the foreseeable future.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Dermot and Dave are the best thing on Irish radio never mind today fm. They better be kept where they are for the foreseeable future.

Ah now...ludicrous statement.

I do agree that Louise Duffy at 2.30-4.30 isn't working...94,000 listeners on a national station on a daytime slot is not good enough. I enjoyed Paula McSweeney covering for her for the couple of weeks, quite like her actually. Personally would love to see Ray Foley come back and take over that slot...here comes the abuse since he is like marmite on here...but proven nationally and was pulling in 33,000 more listeners in D&D's current lunchtime slot when he left Today FM in 2012.

Today FM's strongest schedule was circa 2008-2011 in terms of quality and listenership figures with Dempsey/D'arsey (yes intended)/Foley/Fenton/Cooper

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 549 ✭✭✭vince

Yes I use to listen lots. Now I only tune in for jim o niell and catch paula mc sweeny in the mornings I still miss am kelly in the mornings.

Paul McLoone is a favourite of mine as well, but seeing as he's on at 9pm I don't catch him too often, but the man knows his music and his enthusiasm for it is infectious. The soft northern accent doesn't hurt either!

Jim O'Neill on Sundays is a good show too.

Alison Curtis on Saturday morning.......... too much baby/child talk... I don't know, maybe it has it's target audience and it's just not me.

Paul McLoone is a favourite of mine as well, but seeing as he's on at 9pm I don't catch him too often, but the man knows his music and his enthusiasm for it is infectious. The soft northern accent doesn't hurt either!

Jim O'Neill on Sundays is a good show too.

Alison Curtis on Saturday morning.......... too much baby/child talk... I don't know, maybe it has it's target audience and it's just not me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

I cant listen to this any more on a Saturday due to the baby/child talk. Nobody cares how well your child can read on the radio except the parents involved. Its funny though one of my favourite segments on Moncrieff is with David Carey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Nobody cares how well your child can read on the radio except the parents involved. .

I can never understand why any station puts kids on air....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

zoobizoo wrote: »

Young parents love the kids element of the show and it seems they've been tuning in in their droves since she took over that slot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

To be honest they have faced a monumental task over the last few years.

They have had to completely change their prime time presenters apart from Dempsey and Cooper.

To be honest the fact that they have not lost a high percentage of listeners is a testament of good talent sourcing.

2fm have tried and failed at this multiple times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

ads20101 wrote: »
    To be honest they have faced a monumental task over the last few years.

They have had to completely change their prime time presenters apart from Dempsey and Cooper.

To be honest the fact that they have not lost a high percentage of listeners is a testament of good talent sourcing.

2fm have tried and failed at this multiple times.

Today FM much like 2fm though simply doesn't resonate with Dublin listeners. Hector currently doing breakfast for Ian, screams rural radio, why use him to cover for an out and out Dub and the most successful show in the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

heybaby wrote: »
    Today FM much like 2fm though simply doesn't resonate with Dublin listeners. Hector currently doing breakfast for Ian, screams rural radio, why use him to cover for an out and out Dub and the most successful show in the station.

Because it's a national station and not a Dublin one.

P.S. Hector isn't my preference either, nor PJ on 4fm

Am really stuck for a preference until Anton comes on at 9, think D&D have improved big-time since they started, then it's over to GO'C for the afternoon

heybaby wrote: »

I don't think TodayFM attempt to use the 1 week every few months that Hector stands in to cover for Ian as a way to garner new listeners.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 390 ✭✭StillThinking

Totally agree, wasn't a fan of republic of telly but really enjoy Dermot when he's with Dave, their laughs are infectious!
    Hate hate hate when Hector and Neil delemare stand in, can't bear either of them. Paula Mc Sweeney is great, much prefer when she stands in for Louise, I tend to tune out Louise's voice and just listen to the music or I listen to early breakfast on the app while Louise is on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I used to be able to leave my Tunein radio, work radio and Car radio on Today FM around 18 months ago but that's drastically changed,
    For me Dempsey has plateaued gift just grates on me now. So I listen to KC on Red FM for some genuine fun.

I wasn't am fan of Darcy but he was the lesser of two evils so I left him on but I really can't take to Anton, he seems fake and smarmy and disingenuous he's just not likeable at all,
    So I switch to Tubs from 9 till 10 and then back to Prendeville till 12.
    I do enjoy Dermot and Dave and I enjoyed KC in that slot and I enjoyed Foley before him.
    Then once I hear that annoying 3 seconds away from laughter Lookit Louise Duffy and Anne I'm hilarious I should be hosting this show Gleeson I nearly injure myself diving for the radio to go over to 2FM for Tracy Clifford followed by Eoghan Mcdermott and then Game On.

It's no big secret that Anton and Louise are struggling and in a recent survey Today FM emailed out they were the only two presenters that were specifically mentioned by name.
    Let's not forget Louise was on her way to the graveyard shift until the passing of Tony Fenton so that was just lazy decision making on comunicorps behalf to leave her in the afternoon and it was also the lazy and easy option to make Darcys successor his holiday replacement.

I think for the moment Today Fm will leave as is but once Hook retires in November I can see Cooper going Newstalk, Foley Coming back to do a drive time music show, Louise Duffy moving to the evenings, Ferghal Darcy taking over the afternoons and I really can't see what they are going to do about Anton.

Seeing as Chris and Ciara have had an hour from their nightly show cut on 2FM I wouldn't be surprised if they came over.

I used to be able to leave my Tunein radio, work radio and Car radio on Today FM around 18 months ago but that's drastically changed,
    For me Dempsey has plateaued gift just grates on me now. So I listen to KC on Red FM for some genuine fun.

I wasn't am fan of Darcy but he was the lesser of two evils so I left him on but I really can't take to Anton, he seems fake and smarmy and disingenuous he's just not likeable at all,
    I do enjoy Dermot and Dave and I enjoyed KC in that slot and I enjoyed Foley before him.
    Then once I hear that annoying 3 seconds away from laughter Lookit Louise Duffy and Anne I'm hilarious I should be hosting this show Gleeson I nearly injure myself diving for the radio to go over to 2FM for Tracy Clifford followed by Eoghan Mcdermott and then Game On.

It's no big secret that Anton and Louise are struggling and in a recent survey Today FM emailed out they were the only two presenters that were specifically mentioned by name.
    Let's not forget Louise was on her way to the graveyard shift until the passing of Tony Fenton so that was just lazy decision making on comunicorps behalf to leave her in the afternoon and it was also the lazy and easy option to make Darcys successor his holiday replacement.

I think for the moment Today Fm will leave as is but once Hook retires in November I can see Cooper going Newstalk, Foley Coming back to do a drive time music show, Louise Duffy moving to the evenings, Ferghal Darcy taking over the afternoons and I really can't see what they are going to do about Anton.

Seeing as Chris and Ciara have had an hour from their nightly show cut on 2FM I wouldn't be surprised if they came over.

Some good thoughts here.
    I have pointed out several times at this stage that Louise Duffy was, as you say, "headed for the graveyard shift" before Tony Fenton's passing. She was a poor poor replacement and awful judgement on managements part, Fergal D'Arcy would be great on this slot, but I don't want him to go! I enjoy catching him on my drive home every evening from work.

You really think Matt Cooper will be moved to Newstalk? Why? Listenership for TodayFM would really drop if this happened, no?

IUA14 wrote: »

This reminds me of when a football club comes out and says things like "we are absolutely 100% behind our manager" following a terrible run of form, and next thing you know the manager has been sacked.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Mr Sea Wolf

I don't know why Louise in particular is getting so much attention here. EVERY post breakfast weekday program on Today FM has been losing listeners hand over fist for some time now. The last word is the biggest loser, it's ratings have gone off a cliff in recent years.

Were you in charge of the station, what changes would you implement?

Were you in charge of the station, what changes would you implement?

I don't get to listen to daytime much so can't really comment on Lunchtime and afternoons but I think the last word badly needs a revamp, everytime I switch it on it's the same guests. (Is Charlie Weston on every evening ?????)

I don't know about the same guests as such, but yes, there are very regular contributors. For example Tony Cascarino/Mark Lawrenson on soccer, the likes of Emer McLysaght from the Journal.ie, Cal Thomas & Marian McKeown... etc etc, but doesn't every show have their regular segments?

I do definitely concur that it's lost it's edge, going flat as I said before, but I can't pick out what it is or why.

I don't know why Louise in particular is getting so much attention here. EVERY post breakfast weekday program on Today FM has been losing listeners hand over fist for some time now. The last word is the biggest loser, it's ratings have gone off a cliff in recent years.

Well Anton Savage newer to the schedule and it was always going to be the case that he would shed some of the D'arcy listeners, it will take a bit of time to build his own fanbase and I think Today FM realise that. Dermot and Dave not my cup of tea all the time but also a new addition to the schedule, just over a year old, so going from Foley to KC to D&D...lot of changes in that slot in the last 3 years so will also take them time to solidify their audience. With The Last Word, it has lost recently but I think the last few months the show has really been strong so I would not be surprised to see it rebound with the next set of figures.

The reason a lot of comments here are about Louise Duffy is because she has the lowest daytime ratings on the station at 94,000 which is not good enough. People seem to find her a little irritating. When you look at 2FM, obviously different slots with 1-4 but Tracy Clifford is pulling in 129,000...Today FM cannot afford that big a gap to their rivals...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

IUA14 wrote: »

They've cut that down into a shorter promo that's actually played on air now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

There's a couple of ads running quite frequently now for Louise's show but neither of them have any clips from her own show. That's how all the other shows get advertised on the station so I think that tells you how much faith they have in her show.

Clearly pushing her to see if its salvageable...trying to promote crossover between shows and getting listeners of the other shows to listen to her...saw Mairead from The Ian Dempsey Breakfast Show and others tweeting the link to the video today too...problem is they should have someone strong enough to be a draw themselves...

I really like Louise as a person to be fair and she is good on TV, but just don't think she is strong enough to front a radio show, she was good with Anton covering D&D during Trading Places.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I really like D&D. I must be in the minority judging by the posts on here but they genuinely make me laugh out loud. I make a point of tuning in for Tony Cascarino's club classics every Friday :D

I think Fergal D'Arcy has sounded very good from the bits I've heard of him. I wasn't a fan of him at all on iRadio, he's obviously toned it down a bit for Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,644 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Louise Duffy is a lightweight presenter best suited to non prime slots on the radio. It feels like filler radio rather than prime entertainment.
    D&D are good listening 99% of the time and then sometimes I'd punch them in the face.

Ian, Anton and Matt are solid quality radio, loosing Darcy was a blessing as he was gone well off his best, a trend he has continued.
    Pail Mcklune is ok, bit like Duffy, I couldn't see him succeeding in a daytime slot.

I usually hate Hector but I thought the last time he stood in for Ian he had toned down well and lost most of the half Irish crap. I'd wonder if he could pull off a good afternoon show, couldn't be worse than Louise Duffy anyway.

_Brian wrote: »

I usually hate Hector but I thought the last time he stood in for Ian he had toned down well and lost most of the half Irish crap. I'd wonder if he could pull off a good afternoon show, couldn't be worse than Louise Duffy anyway.

He has often said that he won't move to Dublin for a permanent job. I'm surprised that none of the stations in the west have given him a gig, Galway bay and Clare FM have had ex RTE presenters pass through in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

_Brian wrote: »
    loosing Darcy was a blessing as he was gone well off his best, a trend he has continued.

The listenership figures don't agree with you here though. Anton is hemorrhaging listeners,while D'Arcy is making steady gains.

If his figures don't start to go up in the next two books, I think he'll be in major trouble.

Personally, I think a lot of Ray D'Arcy listeners have just moved to R1 now. People who previously listened to D'Arcy then moved over to Liveline are now probably just sticking with Sean O'Rourke, Liveline and D'Arcy at work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

My take on the station from what I normally hear.

Paula McSweeney -brilliant chirpy and warm at that time of the morning.
    Iano - well he's a seasoned radio veteran. He has a template for breakfast radio and it clearly works very well.
    Anton - You can't not like the guy. He's up for a laugh and isn't even 1/1000 of a misery guts that d'arcy is/was. Also anton and pamela seem to actual get on which helps.
    D&D - I like the lads and some of the features can be very very funny.
    Louise Duffy - I don't mind louise as she seems like a nice person and she seems to play a good mix of music and ann gleeson is brilliant on the radio.
    Last word - the coop is solid as you like when it comes to current affairs.
    fergal darcy - Have only listened to bits of his show but I hear good things.

I don't think it needs a revamp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    My take on the station from what I normally hear.

Paula McSweeney -brilliant chirpy and warm at that time of the morning.
    Iano - well he's a seasoned radio veteran. He has a template for breakfast radio and it clearly works very well.
    Anton - You can't not like the guy. He's up for a laugh and isn't even 1/1000 of a misery guts that d'arcy is/was. Also anton and pamela seem to actual get on which helps.
    D&D - I like the lads and some of the features can be very very funny.
    Louise Duffy - I don't mind louise as she seems like a nice person and she seems to play a good mix of music and ann gleeson is brilliant on the radio.
    Last word - the coop is solid as you like when it comes to current affairs.
    fergal darcy - Have only listened to bits of his show but I hear good things.

I don't think it needs a revamp.

That's pretty much my take on it too although with Louise's show I could take it or leave it.
    I hope as others have suggested that they don't get rid of Cooper from the Last Word, I like the format of a music during the day with current affairs show in the drivetime slot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Probably D&D is mu favourite show on the radio. Don't take themselves too seriously

I pretty much just don't want to change the station, both car radio & radio at home are permanently tuned to TodayFM. So, to keep life simple, please Matt, don't move station! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

I'd drop that stupid horse ad for a start.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

I cant listen to this any more on a Saturday due to the baby/child talk. Nobody cares how well your child can read on the radio except the parents involved. Its funny though one of my favourite segments on Moncrieff is with David Carey.

I agree. I have a little girl yet cannot stand all of the carry on with Alison and the kids on the radio on a Saturday morning. Like you I also love the David Carey segment on Moncrieff. Its less about the kids though (as in they're not on the radio) and more about problems parents are having with the kids. I also like David's voice and his whole no nonsense yet gentle approach to dealing with issues.
    zoobizoo wrote: »

Me neither. I think FM 104 have a Kids in the Car segment in the morning time. Its been donkey's years since I heard it but even the memory of it makes my ears bleed.
    I pretty much just don't want to change the station, both car radio & radio at home are permanently tuned to TodayFM. So, to keep life simple, please Matt, don't move station! :)

If Matt moved to Newstalk then I'd listen to it all day long. The only programme I ever change to Today FM for midweek is The Last Word.
    Paul Collins and his stupid accent when covering the GAA put me right off the Ian Dempsey show as did too much Gift Grub. It really stopped being funny but they kept on flogging the dead horse.
    Ray D'Arcy became a pontificating pain the bum and so I stopped listening to him years ago. When Pat Kenny moved to Newstalk that became my staple mid morning show. Lunchtime with Jonathon whatever his name is stays on because its only an hour and then we have the fun of Sean Moncrieff until its Last Word time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭soc160

Good points there, but those changes are very radical, would probably annoy listeners. Would need to be gradual changes over a a few months to a year. Losing Matt Cooper would mean a drop off in ratings, I feel they need a talk show in there and you need someone with a big personality to do that kind of show.

• Registered Users Posts: 631 ✭✭✭sligono1

I like Paula McSweeney,Ian I listen to him in the morning but there's nothing else better out here 2fm breakfast show is a disgrace.but get rid of that imbecile Paul Collins can't see past a hurl poor poor sports broadcaster.
    Anton he's OK better than Darcy but Dermott and Dave I would listen to silence before I would listen to them.
    Louise Duffy some one is keeping her in a job not a hope would I listen to her.
    Never really listen to Matt cooper so can't comment.
    Feral darcy I hated him when he was on Iradio but then you must have to have the mentality of a 3 year old to work at that station.
    The weekends how does Alison Curtis be let in a studio is she related to Denis o Brien

I used to listen to nothing else but Todayfm but no longer it's a shadow of its former self

Bad book for Today FM with everyone down except Cooper.

• Advertisement
Advertisement