Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nicotine tax on the way

• 11-02-2016 2:44pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,268 ✭✭✭

Just heard on the 1pm news that FG plan to introduce a nicotine tax, seemingly its in their manifesto, ffs

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ohmplate

Just heard on the 1pm news that FG plan to introduce a nicotine tax, seemingly its in their manifesto, ffs

Hopefully they won't be anywhere near the next government.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 445 ✭✭8mm

Government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the Earth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

I don't think it matters who gets in, they will all end up taxing nic.

I wonder, as I seen others ponder, does a nic tax include Nicorette patches, gum and sprays? Because if not, it's down right bully targeting on the vaping community.

I don't think it matters who gets in, they will all end up taxing nic.

I wonder, as I seen others ponder, does a nic tax include Nicorette patches, gum and sprays? Because if not, it's down right bully targeting on the vaping community.

Those products are treated as medical and not taxed as tobacco products.

The attack on vaping suits these producers just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭Shinobollo

From the RTE Website:

Fine Gael -The plan also commits to increasing taxes on nicotine related products.

Labour - would increase tobacco taxes to raise €260m.

Fianna Fail - is proposing to put more levies on tobacco.

Labour / Fianna Fail proposals are far too generic for my liking and the Lovely Leo and his Fine Gael cronies can fu¢|< right off as far as I'm concerned.

Any policy that could result in more lives being lost to cancer, purely so that the government of the day gets some additional tax revenue and at the same time, manages to keeps their friends in the Pharma and Tobacco industries happy, is abhorrent.
    I will not vote for anyone who promotes death through tax.

Sinn Fein: There is no mention of their plans relating to Tobacco / Nicotine in the RTE summary so I checked out their health policy.

Sinn Fein appear to be the only party who make a clear distinction between cigarettes and what they term e-cigarettes. They actually refer to the British Department of Health study that showed vaping to be 95% less harmful than smoking in their policy.

They have two very specific proposals.
    1. Increase excise tax on cigarettes
    2. Regulate the sale of e-cigarettes.

To my surprise, they appear to be the only ones who have given this issue proper consideration and consequently are the only party with a clearly defined policy.

If the election was to be decided on just this one issue, I have no doubt who I would vote for.

The best thing to come out of this little bit of research for me is that I definitely know who I won't be voting for.
    I will use every box on my ballot paper, apart from the ones for their candidates, to ensure that my vote continues to transfer to their opponents until it can go no further.

Apologies for the rant, but having lost family and close friends to cancer over the years, I can't abide the ignorance, stupidity and collusion that is behind the attitude of some politicians to vaping.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

Shinobollo wrote: »
    From the RTE Website:

Fine Gael -The plan also commits to increasing taxes on nicotine related products.

Labour / Fianna Fail proposals are far too generic for my liking and the Lovely Leo and his Fine Gael cronies can fu¢|< right off as far as I'm concerned.

Any policy that could result in more lives being lost to cancer, purely so that the government of the day gets some additional tax revenue and at the same time, manages to keeps their friends in the Pharma and Tobacco industries happy, is abhorrent.

Sinn Fein: There is no mention of their plans relating to Tobacco / Nicotine in the RTE summary so I checked out their health policy.

Sinn Fein appear to be the only party who make a clear distinction between cigarettes and what they term e-cigarettes. They actually refer to the British Department of Health study that showed vaping to be 95% less harmful than smoking in their policy.

To my surprise, they appear to be the only ones who have given this issue proper consideration and consequently are the only party with a clearly defined policy.

If the election was to be decided on just this one issue, I have no doubt who I would vote for.

The best thing to come out of this little bit of research for me is that I definitely know who I won't be voting for.
    I will use every box on my ballot paper, apart from the ones for their candidates, to ensure that my vote continues to transfer to their opponents until it can go no further.

Apologies for the rant, but having lost family and close friends to cancer over the years, I can't abide the ignorance, stupidity and collusion that is behind the attitude of some politicians to vaping.

Gerry Adams said they would introduce a nicotine tax in his opening statement on the leaders debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 badspealler

I'm off the cigs over a year now since I started vaping and after just checking one of those online "how much I've saved" calculators, I see that I've NOT spent over €4,700 on cigs since giving up. 25/day will do that kind of damage to your wallet :(

So Enda can kiss my empty ashtray. Taxing the empty ashtray is proof positive that government couldn't give a sh1t about your health.

Bring in a broken election promise tax instead and leave my vape alone!!!

I'm off the cigs over a year now since I started vaping and after just checking one of those online "how much I've saved" calculators, I see that I've NOT spent over €4,700 on cigs since giving up. 25/day will do that kind of damage to your wallet :(

So Enda can kiss my empty ashtray. Taxing the empty ashtray is proof positive that government couldn't give a sh1t about your health.

I SWEAR I only clicked the Post Quick Reply button once...

Apologies for the double!

I SWEAR I only clicked the Post Quick Reply button once...

Apologies for the double!

• Advertisement

We're all experiencing the double post thing :D

That sums it up nicely though, they're taxing us for doing so well in giving up what was killing us most, fair play to them, aren't they marvelous ... tossers the lot of them. I honestly don't want to vote for any of them this year

We're all experiencing the double post thing :D

That sums it up nicely though, they're taxing us for doing so well in giving up what was killing us most, fair play to them, aren't they marvelous ... tossers the lot of them. I honestly don't want to vote for any of them this year

Tickityboo wrote: »
    Gerry Adams said they would introduce a nicotine tax in his opening statement on the leaders debate.

Now why doesn't that surprise me. Either he doesn't know his own party's health policy or...
    the policy is lies or....
    he doesn't understand the difference between nicotine and tobacco.
    I wonder which one it is ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭Tickityboo

Now why doesn't that surprise me. Either he doesn't know his own party's health policy or...
    the policy is lies or....
    he doesn't understand the difference between nicotine and tobacco.
    I wonder which one it is ???

It's in their budget plan under tax yields / excise duties and levies (duty on liquid nicotine for ecigarettes to yield 8.3 million)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,584 ✭✭✭✭Steve

This thread just makes me angry.

I hope they all get their comeuppance in the election, useless wan*ers the lot of them.

They don't care that vaping saves lives, they don't care that it's less harmful than real smoking, they just see an opportunity to tax it.

Seeing as they already tax other 'harmful' things like water and your house, sure how is this any different.. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ohmplate

So if a tax does come in and your 10ml bottle of juice is now costing €10. How successful will they be in intercepting the thousands of bottles of juice being posted in to the country?

I really have to get into diy though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭ezra_pound

From the RTE Website:

Are you still voting for SF then? Who now?

Morning Ezra.
    I never said that I would or wouldn't vote for SF.
    That is a topic for a politics forum as there's normally more than one factor that goes into determining who I vote for.

What I did say was, that if the election was based solely on policy towards vaping, they'd get my vote.
    However, the info Tickety Boo kindly provided since then, has left me with reasons to question that view.

Getting back to vaping related matters. I strongly believe that vaping saves lives, so I will be using my vote to try and prevent candidates / parties whose policy is to promote Death by Taxes (I.e. on liquids containing nicotine) from getting elected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Didihno

Has anyone aggregated all the main parties stances and promises?
    We need to have a cheat sheet for any moron that knocks on your door.
    And we need it quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

Well for what it's worth, Willie O'Dea called to the door this morning and after asking him about Crime and Irish Water I asked him about Vaping and Ecigs ...............

he said "huh, pardon" ?
    and I went , oh F**k , he doesn't even what they are ........... sigh

I said " the e-cigarettes Willie , the electronic ones "

to which he replied " oh yeah , sorry I didn't hear you the first time , shur don't I use them myself and they have kept me off the fags for the last two years "

He feels that the current talk of taxes is only a PC knee jerk reaction that could cost lives and says he will be speaking up for them in the Dail .

Like I said , for what it's worth .

• Advertisement

jonski wrote: »
    Well for what it's worth, Willie O'Dea called to the door this morning and after asking him about Crime and Irish Water I asked him about Vaping and Ecigs ...............

he said "huh, pardon" ?
    and I went , oh F**k , he doesn't even what they are ........... sigh

I said " the e-cigarettes Willie , the electronic ones "

to which he replied " oh yeah , sorry I didn't hear you the first time , shur don't I use them myself and they have kept me off the fags for the last two years "

He feels that the current talk of taxes is only a PC knee jerk reaction that could cost lives and says he will be speaking up for them in the Dail .

Like I said , for what it's worth .

Did you tell him that you'd show him yours if he.. ?

Didihno wrote: »
    And we need it quick.

That's what I was trying to do - but I was taking short-cuts so it doesn't look like I had all the facts.
    Ah well - we already have one party with two totally contradictory statements in their manifesto / policies.
    Can't imagine the others being any better.
    Think I'll just ask everyone who calls to the door what their views on the TPD are and wait for the replies of "what's that - is it like a WMD ?". :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

every one can expect a tax on, nicotine, sugar, broadcasting, expect a levy on health, of some discription, ithink if the shinners get in they will place a tax on the 24k pensions and golden handshakes to politicians and quango heads, the unvouched expenses of td's could well come into their cuts, hoping i am, i suppose it will be a case of live horse etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭flutered

Didihno wrote: »
    And we need it quick.
    no will will call to my door, as the roadway leading to it is both untared and full of craters, not suitable for cars and definatly not for pedesterians

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭jonski

Did you tell him that you'd show him yours if he.. ?

He did actually pull out his one ( ooooh matron ) from his top pocket , twas only a cigalike , I wasn't impressed ( I was happy that he knew about them though ) .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

Tickityboo wrote: »
    It's in their budget plan under tax yields / excise duties and levies (duty on liquid nicotine for ecigarettes to yield 8.3 million)

Bloody hell, how many millions will it COST the healthcare system if only a few hundred persons go back on the fags and another few hundred don't start vaping due to the sudden perceived increase in buying juice ?

was.deevey wrote: »
    Bloody hell, how many millions will it COST the healthcare system if only a few hundred persons go back on the fags and another few hundred don't start vaping due to the sudden perceived increase in buying juice ?

In the UK the tax take from tobacco is around 3 times what it costs to deal with health related problems.

If every smoker switched to vaping overnight there would be a huge economic shockwave from the many vested interests and industries that exist around tobacco.

http://www.ecigarette-politics.com/

http://rodutobaccotruth.blogspot.co.uk/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

8mm wrote: »
    In the UK the tax take from tobacco is around 3 times what it costs to deal with health related problems.

If every smoker switched to vaping overnight there would be a huge economic shockwave from the many vested interests and industries that exist around tobacco.

Living "addicts" are paying more than the average non smoker does in healthcare and related taxes and dead addicts don't require treatment.

It all evens out in the end I suppose :rolleyes:

I guess it remains to be seen what rates these taxes will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭Zelda247

Would it be an idea to get a petition done to give to the parties to say that Vaping is indeed saving lives also does this mean they intend to tax the things they sell in the chemist with Nicotine to help people give up smoking, surely thats crazy?

• Advertisement

Zelda247 wrote: »
    Would it be an idea to get a petition done to give to the parties to say that Vaping is indeed saving lives also does this mean they intend to tax the things they sell in the chemist with Nicotine to help people give up smoking, surely thats crazy?

I doubt very much it would make a blind bit of difference (look at how they ignored the will of the electorate with the marches against water charges).

You'd make a better point by sending your empty juice bottles and used coils to the Dail so they can deal with the disposal. I'll gladly take the postage hit :p.

Remember, people are the things that politicians use to get into power initially. Once in power, we're the things they either ignore or walk all over until it's time to try to get into power again. :( And round and round that merry-go-round goes, the hell with the dizziness and the vomit inducing same-sh1d-different-day-ness of it all.

Crazy and politics go hand in hand. Just look at how The donald is progressing in the USA. I know this is off topic, but every time I see The donald, I think of this scene from the movie "The Dead Zone"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1VHSQV0yn8. :eek:

Advertisement