Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Balbriggan/Skerries road R127 bypass

Options
  • 11-02-2016 2:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

Is there any update on whether the patch of the R127 between the Ardgillan rail bridge and Skerries is going to be bypassed? That road is seriously dangerous yet runners amble along it at dusk with no lights all the time. And as someone who lives in Kelly's Bay, it would be great to see a reduction in the traffic on the coast road into town.

It looks like there has been work done behind the new houses at Barnageeragh Cove. Will the road passing the Eurospar at Skerries Point Shopping centre be continued down to the Ardgillan rail bridge junction?

Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There's no law requiring runners to have lights. There is a law requiring motorists to drive safely.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

There's no law requiring runners to have lights. There is a law requiring motorists to drive safely.

Having the moral high ground is great but feck all use when a ton of metal hits you at 80kph...

I cycle a lot and hate that section of road, would avoid it at dusk/dawn even well lit up

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭dslamjack

In fairness the recent work's at the bridge and that corner have made it a hell of a lot safer,but it's still a killer rd like all the main distribution road's around the area.
    Now Quad,ye should know better than to suggest some thing that make's perfect common sense,that's about a mile of new road ,junction,Skerries side of bridge,a bit of lighting,cycle lane up to Barnageeragh Cove.
    No,ye could't have that,now if ye could come up with a way for the road to cross or go under the Dublin/Belfast rail line,that might be a consideration,it would then need a budget big enough to make it worth while for them that do.

https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5832441,-6.1369158,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssrvj35yVIPqX94XVMJapwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en

P.S,Be Safe-Be Seen,anybody going out on an unlit country road at night without hi-vis + torch or being lit up in some way is a danger too not only them selves ,but other's road user's as well,to be safe as possible you need to be seen and as Rob say's,it's too late if ye get hit by a couple of ton of metal at 80kph... as Del Boy used to say you know it make's sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭dewindygap

Hi folks. Delighted to see this being brought up as a topic. As a local resident of 35 years from the neighborhood, we were given to believe back then that a bypass road would come out on the sea side of the railway bridge, where the wall is painted black and yellow, which would make great sense as it would bypass, what I would consider both as a cyclist and motorist, the most dangerous stretch of road between Skerries and Balbriggan.
    But alas, from what I'm given to believe, the new road will take a right turn off the 'new road' back down towards Curlew Cottage and continue along that narrow stretch of road. Whether the plan is to widen that part of road, I don't know but to me it defies belief that it might remain as it is.
    Would love to know if this is a fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

:confused: That's a valuable addition to this topic.

Last Sunday evening I drove that road. With oncoming head lights and unlit people on *both* sides of the road. Views bedamned, there's no way I'd walk or run alongside that bloody road. Especially with freight trucks that can't come in under the rail bridge, taking it all the time.

• Advertisement

You're bang on Red,load's of road's like that about unfortunately , Station rd Lusk, that's a killer road,footpath 18 inches wide in some place's,get to close too the kerb,write yere mammy a letter goodbye.
    DW,I was thinking around here,with the new road veering to the right up toward's the rere of Barnageeragh Cove....
    https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5857077,-6.144107,3a,75y,90h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sEJgN1cpMvkRVmGsl19fTQg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
    I was guessing the distance up to where the road end's on the Skerries side here ...https://www.google.com/maps/@53.5832441,-6.1369158,3a,75y,270h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1ssrvj35yVIPqX94XVMJapwA!2e0!7i13312!8i6656?hl=en
    You would have a better idea than most,but as I was saying above,if they can come up with a way to complicate thing's they will.Why would the road swing back toward's Curlew Cottage's? scratching me head here,I'm useless with the Fingal development map,maybe someone that know's how to use it can shed a bit of light on this potential road development and other's around the area.
    Actually,you would have thought(logic ,must stop)that the developer's of Barnageeragh Cove would have borne the cost of the new road as a precondition of the planning permission for Barnageeragh Cove.

Actually just seen this in the North County Leader , they are having a laugh or is that sum meant to be 27million?--- 27k are they for real? ....article here ..http://www.northcountyleader.ie/2016/02/09/significant-investment-in-local-roads/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

quad_red wrote: »
    Hi Folks,

Is there any update on whether the patch of the R127 between the Ardgillan rail bridge and Skerries is going to be bypassed? That road is seriously dangerous yet runners amble along it at dusk with no lights all the time. And as someone who lives in Kelly's Bay, it would be great to see a reduction in the traffic on the coast road into town.

It looks like there has been work done behind the new houses at Barnageeragh Cove. Will the road passing the Eurospar at Skerries Point Shopping centre be continued down to the Ardgillan rail bridge junction?

Cheers

Recently been looking at houses in Barnageragh Cove, with a relative.
    The Estate Agent confirmed that the road past Skerries Point is to be continued to come out near the Bridge at Ardgillan
    Traffic will be diverted so it all ends up at the junction of Dublin Rd in Skerries.
    I expect Traffic lights will be installed, similar to the existing junction at Xtravision
    So all traffic from Balbriggan will travel past Barnageragh Cove, The School, Kelly's Bay, the Ballast Pit, to Dublin Rd.

At Ardgillan some work has been done on removing a bank , this is part of the preparations for the exit there.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

There should be though. Maybe an email to Road safety authority or some such body might see them lobby to ensure people use a bit of common sense.

I drive along here every morning between 5.30 and 5.50 and it is a lethal stretch of road. People go running and apart from being on wrong side of the road some have little or no reflective gear on them. Even bright coloured top or armband would be a help. They are a danger to everyone else. Why would they not run or walk where there is either street lighting or a footpath or both? It is worse when there is a bright sunrise and the sun reflects off the damp road surface.

One guy is always on wrong side of the road and does not exactly hug the ditch either. He walks from Skerries out towards Ardgillen and walks back on left hand side instead of the right hand side where oncoming traffic could at least see him more clearly.

That is a great job and a pity it didn't go another 50 yards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

No but there is common sense. I run that road a fair bit during the day and it's a scary enough stretch, running it in the dark you'd want to be lite up like a christmas tree.

• Advertisement
Advertisement