Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Legality of measures being applied during RAG week

Options
  • 11-02-2016 2:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭

I saw this posted else where and to me it screamed completely illegal. I'm not a student but some of these rules seem a bit over the top.

Carlow

UCC

I wasn't sure if this should be posted in Legal discussion or here, I thought he might be better due to more knowledge of tenancy laws.

The deduction of the deposit in the Carlow rules just doesn't seem legal to me.

While I would agree that in the majority of cases, the damage done is normally caused by non-students and visitors, punishing the tenants for a party seems a bit like closing the barn door after the horses have bolted.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Certainly the ucc one looks like student accommodation blocks so they are entitled to set their own rules like a management company would.

Carlow looks more spurious as it refers to landlords being in agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭ec18

Carlow one looks very sketchy legally, as it looks like a residents association that has had some issue with noise. The interesting question there is if the leases that they have with the landlords fo expressly forbid parties and visitors as mentioned in the letter above. And keeping of the deposit AFAIK can't be done unless there is damage to the property.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Yeah the Carlow one is dodgy as who gives permission to the "door staff" to enter someone else's property.

It'd be interesting to see if there is a lease too as I never had one when I rented in college down the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

What does the ucc one mean by fined?
    A private body can't fine someone. If it's a charge, then vat would be due.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

That Carlow one looks more like some residents committee chancing their arm trying to put the frighteners on. I can't imagine any circumstances where they could legally carry out their threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

If the measures are enough to frighten the Riot And Go crowd into behaving like human beings, then fair play.

AFAIK most student accommodation providers have systems involving fines, to keep behaviour in check.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

The UCC one looks like they are re-stating and emphasising the regular rules so well within their rights if that's the case.

Carlow one might be fine as well if the leases forbid parties.

Guess it's going to be a tough week for students hoping to have mini-parties in their beds. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

From https://www.facebook.com/itcsu/
    We have been working to try track down the source of the letter sent out to residents of College Green and as far as we are aware it is a hoax. A number of students living in College Green contacted their landlords, who have no knowledge of the letter being sent out.
    We are looking forward to an extremely positive R&G Week, where lots of money is raised for the amazing charities you picked.
    With that in mind, please be respectful of your neighbours and take care of yourselves and your friends during the week. As always, your students’ union officers will be available if you need anything. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact us.

Also, if the two local bouncers tried to kick people out, I can see it going arseways, and people getting very hostile.

Advertisement