Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Policy cancelled due to non-disclosure

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

bear1 wrote: »
    I'm lost.

The insured is asking us to accept that he/she was not aware that a 3rd party claim for €18k was made against them, in addition to their own damage of €5k (which they were aware of), relating to an accident that happened 4 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,812 ✭✭✭✭bear1

The insured is asking us to accept that he/she was not aware that a 3rd party claim for €18k was made against them, in addition to their own damage of €5k (which they were aware of), relating to an accident that happened 4 years ago.

So it's 23k total?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭To Elland Back

bear1 wrote: »
    So it's 23k total?

On re-reading it, it appears to be €5k own damage with €13k paid to the 3rd party, total €18k paid with only the own damage of the €5k disclosed to insurers.

Same issue applies with regard to not being aware of the figures involved

Ok so 18k total, still I'm lost on how this has all come to this point.

"Sorry to get back to everyone so late - I've been insured with the same company for 13 years. I've only ever renewed, and didn't go looking for cheaper insurance."

Usually people go to other insurance companies due to receiving a cheaper quote that can't be beaten. So going by what you said, you decided to change insurance companies in general (fair enough) you requested your NCB be sent out but in the mean time told new insurer you had a tip 4 years ago and told them it was worth 5k when in fact it was worth 18k.
    New insurer finds out and decides to cancel the policy.

Ok so 18k total, still I'm lost on how this has all come to this point.

"Sorry to get back to everyone so late - I've been insured with the same company for 13 years. I've only ever renewed, and didn't go looking for cheaper insurance."

Usually people go to other insurance companies due to receiving a cheaper quote that can't be beaten. So going by what you said, you decided to change insurance companies in general (fair enough) you requested your NCB be sent out but in the mean time told new insurer you had a tip 4 years ago and told them it was worth 5k when in fact it was worth 18k.
    New insurer finds out and decides to cancel the policy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,368 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Dermo123 wrote: »
    Last year I had my newly taken out policy with AIB/AXA cancelled for non disclosure reasons being cited.
    In my case I had a car with them previously, changed to a different car for a year and then was taking out a policy on the original car again.
    In the meantime the original car was sold to a friend who used the car in the interm.
    Because I never told them this fact, they assumed that I owned this car for a period longer than 3 months without having insurance on it and not having it declared off the road.
    No amount of letters and explanations was sufficient for them and I was directed by them to the financial services ombudsman who looked for the same information as they did.
    In the end after the ombudsman got involved they rescinded the cancellation and I was able to get access to the insurance market again after 6 months without it.
    Bloody nightmare it was and would not wish the experience on anyone.

Did they specifically ask you if the car had been in your ownership for the entire time. Something tells me we are not getting the full story here.
    Sounds like a reason they pulled out of their arse because they wanted to cancel cover.
    Had you by any chance being using the car under driving other cars extension by transferring ownership to your mate?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Juat wondering did you get insurance in the end and who with or was anything sorted out, have same issue had a ploicy cancelled due to non disclosure.

Cannot get quotes now, got a 3,500 quote through a broker which is crazy,
    Does this always stay on your record??

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

donkey10 wrote: »
    Juat wondering did you get insurance in the end and who with or was anything sorted out, have same issue had a ploicy cancelled due to non disclosure.

Cannot get quotes now, got a 3,500 quote through a broker which is crazy,
    Does this always stay on your record??

Non disclosure and fraud are taken pretty seriously by Insurers.

I think a standard question on a proposal is "....have you ever had a policy cancelled or been refused cover...."

What was the nature of your non disclosure (assuming you're happy disclose it now)?

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭donkey10

Non disclosure and fraud are taken pretty seriously by Insurers.

I think a standard question on a proposal is "....have you ever had a policy cancelled or been refused cover...."

What was the nature of your non disclosure (assuming you're happy disclose it now)?

A drink driving offence and was off the road but i thought because it was over 5 years it didnt need to be disclosed. I know people will say how would you not think it should be disclosed but it wad genuinley an innocent error that has cost me dearly.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭Chiorino

To be honest, it's going to be a case of swallowing your medicine for a few years until you have built up some sort of clean track record again. Given how the insurance market is at the moment, in your case €3500 is not as outlandish as it sounds.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

donkey10 wrote: »
    A drink driving offence and was off the road but i thought because it was over 5 years it didnt need to be disclosed. I know people will say how would you not think it should be disclosed but it wad genuinley an innocent error that has cost me dearly.

I'm afraid that mistake will continue to cost you. A DD and non disclosure combo will make you wholly unattractive to insurers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

emeldc wrote: »
    Why do they ask for claim details if they're going to check them anyway. Seems like they're setting people up to fail if and when genuine mistakes are made.

They ask the question to ensure they are getting completely accurate information so as to give you the best and most accurate quote they can.

It is not about trying to catch anyone out.

OP there is a vast difference between €5000 and €18000, I am not surprised in the slightest that your policy has been cancelled.

How in the world would anyone not know the value of a claim that large? And if you genuinely weren't sure of the value you should have told them at inception. So in that sense you did withhold information ie that you were only guessing the value.

The best you can do is plead your case, but I wouldn't hold out much hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

It was a year and a half ago........
    I'm sure the OP has given up pleading his case by now.

Advertisement