Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VMWare Help

Options
  • 11-02-2016 3:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

I have recently configured a HP Prolaint Microsever G7 to run VMWare ESXi 6 and it is running fine.

There are two Windows 10 VM's and one Ubuntu VM running on it and are very usable but I want to make sure I am getting the best performance.

The processor speed is 1.3 GHz dual core so the processing speed should be 2.6 GXz I assume.

Dffdw0.jpg

The processor resource allocation is showing at 1454 MHz distributed between the VMs and memory allocation is 4610MB but there is 8GB installed.

jUuq9g.jpg

i6ygqZ.jpg

The resource pool is saying "Limit based on Current Resource Pool or Current Host".

Do I need to add a new resource pool? Can I modify the current resource pool to include the unused processing power and RAM? I can’t recall setting up these values manually.

Maybe there is no need to make any changes but I'd just like to be sure.

On the Windows VM side of things do I need to add the 2nd core in the configuration?

Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first attempt running VM’s on a HyperViser.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

The processor speed is 1.3 GHz dual core so the processing speed should be 2.6 GXz I assume.

Core clocks aren't additive like that, you cant say 2x1.3= 1x2.6.

Sounds like your RAM config is conservative, you can give the guest OSs more to play with.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ivegotafeeling

ED E wrote: »
    Core clocks aren't additive like that, you cant say 2x1.3= 1x2.6.

Sounds like your RAM config is conservative, you can give the guest OSs more to play with.

Should I still not see more that 1454 MHz?

If I throw more memory at the VMs is it going to use it from the 4496 MB pool and not use the 8GB in total that is physically installed?

Just found this summary tab. Maybe the host is configured OK?

AA9ZCI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

You have 1.3GHz available per core. If both VMs are set up to use both cores, they will get the benefit of being able to do tasks on both. Some programs use multicore better than others. This can lead to trouble though if one VM is doing CPU intensive tasks, it will slow down the whole system.

Looks all good tbh. As long as it isn't doing anything too intensive it should be fine.

Xenoronin wrote: »
    You have 1.3GHz available per core. If both VMs are set up to use both cores, they will get the benefit of being able to do tasks on both. Some programs use multicore better than others. This can lead to trouble though if one VM is doing CPU intensive tasks, it will slow down the whole system.

Looks all good tbh. As long as it isn't doing anything too intensive it should be fine.

Thanks for your response. So just adjust the setting here to 2 cores on each Windows VM?...

THxDhZ.jpg

The Media Center is running Plex and was very choppy so I adjusted the CPU Allocation to High, can you see any problems with this? It made a huge improvement.

dlRQnm.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I'd disable the plex transcoder and just use direct play, that box isnt suitable for live transcoding AND running other VMs.

ED E wrote: »
    I'd disable the plex transcoder and just use direct play, that box isnt suitable for live transcoding AND running other VMs.

I will give that a try. Thanks for your help.

Advertisement