Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Quantum Break

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,202 ✭✭✭maximoose

Yeah it's over the top at times, and sometimes makes the characters look radioactive :pac:

I'd agree about the cover yeah - and I like it. The lack of snapping and the destruction of cover makes you have to move around a lot more and it's more fun because of it. The AI also seems pretty good so far on Hard - actively flanking you and seem to react to your movements well (it's still pretty easy on Hard though!)

• Administrators Posts: 53,844 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I find the controls really clunky.

Finished Act 1 last night and watched the episode. Decent, but nothing special.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Quantum Break makes pirates wear an eye-patch

Got a chuckle from this although what's even more amusing is it gets triggered just by running the game while logged out of the Store. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Enjoyed the shipyard containers. Was pretty cool.

Mid way through act 3 now, and my interest is going one way and one way only, at this point for me the gameplay is just getting in the way of a fairly OK story, nothing ground breaking but far more interesting than the gameplay.

I do really like the TV shows and Junctions, and all the stuff that happens away from the main character.

Game essentially plays out as 2-3 empty rooms to search for collectibles and a way forward or converse with NPC along the way, next room you get 2/3 waves of enemies then rinse/repeat, end of act, watch video finally, repeat. I know I'm being simplistic about it but this is not a great game and barely a good one for me at this point.

I think it's down to the predictability and spacing of the combat , not the enemy AI thats fine but the flow of the game, I almost sigh every time I have to put my guns and power to use, and you can tell exactly when it will come.

I could have a change of heart at the end but I can't see it right now.

• Advertisement

I dunno. I'm enjoying the story. Most of the other stuff I expected. A generic cover shooter. I'm at the end of part 2 of Act 3 too.

I knew it wasn't gonna be ground breaking but I'm still enjoying it. The combat I do find a bit meh aswell though. The way they layout is a bit annoying. They just decide to hit you with a bunch of enemies. It's not like it's hard it just a bit like... Sigh... Why so many?
    I'm just at the part where Beth got on the boat and you've got an onslaught of enemies and turrets to get through to get to the next part.
    I'm just glad the game isn't very long.

• irishmover wrote: »
    I dunno. I'm enjoying the story. Most of the other stuff I expected. A generic cover shooter. I'm at the end of part 2 of Act 3 too.

I knew it wasn't gonna be ground breaking but I'm still enjoying it. The combat I do find a bit meh aswell though. The way they layout is a bit annoying. They just decide to hit you with a bunch of enemies. It's not like it's hard it just a bit like... Sigh... Why so many?
    I'm just at the part where Beth got on the boat and you've got an onslaught of enemies and turrets to get through to get to the next part.
    I'm just glad the game isn't very long.

It's really not though. Cover system is there but I think you are playing it wrong.
    It's all about moving around and using your powers and combining them in random ways. I hardly ever fire from cover.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    It's really not though. Cover system is there but I think you are playing it wrong.
    It's all about moving around and using your powers and combining them in random ways. I hardly ever fire from cover.

Yeh I'm using the powers more than covering but find them as boring as shooting from cover. There's no real imagination with the powers in my opinion. Even the names aren't very captivating.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Yeah the combat sections just elicit a groan from me now. Thankfully theres not that many of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Didn't get a chance to play yesterday but I was finished part 2 of Act 2 and I was a bit fed up with the combat myself. I was hoping that would change when you start upgrading the abilities, although I haven't checked to see what kind of upgrades will be available when I have enough points.

• Advertisement

• irishmover wrote: »
    Yeh I'm using the powers more than covering but find them as boring as shooting from cover. There's no real imagination with the powers in my opinion. Even the names aren't very captivating.

Fair enough, each to their own anyway!

tony1980 wrote: »
    Didn't get a chance to play yesterday but I was finished part 2 of Act 2 and I was a bit fed up with the combat myself. I was hoping that would change when you start upgrading the abilities, although I haven't checked to see what kind of upgrades will be available when I have enough points.

Typically it's just more uses or a larger AoE

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,280 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I want to murder who ever decided to set checkpoints before the cut scene leading into an encounter rather than the start of the encounter itself. On the one or two occasions where the difficulty spikes it gets very very annoying.

For those who ordered from CDKeys , I just got my Alan Wake codes :)

EDIT: Hmmm looks like it's just for the Nightmare game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Shred

For those who ordered from CDKeys , I just got my Alan Wake codes :)

I just got one for AN alright!

Shred wrote: »
    I just got one for AN alright!

Just redeemed it and looks like it's just AN for me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Just redeemed it and looks like it's just AN for me too.

Just AN atm, AW codes will be in another message if we get them.

I'll see what happens when I redeem later.

Another major annoyance the game remembers how many bullets are in the clips between chapters I mean come on ffs :mad:

Lost count hove times I've wasted a stop because I've had to reload.

It will remember that but wont recall you had the LMG selected though , oh no :D

I finished it this morning. The story ramped up nicely after act two but overall as a game it was pretty poor. There are hints at a few interesting ideas such as
    Hatch has time powers too but has mastered them well beyond what Jack or Paul are capable of.
    Unfortunately like a lot of games though this stuff is confined to collectibles rather than having a proper thread running through the narrative.

• Advertisement

I'm just into act three and, tbh, I'm really enjoying it; TV show and all. I find the gameplay and story quite engaging and I'm genuinely curious to see how it all develops. Nice looking game to boot.

Oh and so far I've gotten Alan Wake: AN which bodes well as this was an extra for preorders only.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

im just finished act 3 and its getting better but still nothing special

the powers are more fun once you get the swing of it

and as fo the tv show naahh its just not gripping me if i was replaying this again id never watch em again i hope this type of thing ends with this game because i dont want more of that

as of now i think i will be trading this in once im done with it next week

• Registered Users Posts: 54,362 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

iv been reading up on the PC version and wow its fair broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2BUeYqLVI

Headshot wrote: »
    iv been reading up on the PC version and wow its fair broken

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zK2BUeYqLVI

What shocked me most about that was that it didn't look remarkably better visually than the xbox version , the frame rate difference was obvious for sure but everything else wasnt the step up I would have expected.

Edit: and who ever did the lighting effects in this game needs to go back to design school , they are terrible even on ultra PC setting judging from those DF videos.

Bit confused by the ending regards
    Hatch, Burke stabbed him in the head. I suspected he had some kind of powers from the eye drops all along but dead is dead surely
    or was Jack
    back in time from the point at which the game ended with will in the pool
    :confused:

Bit confused by the ending regards
    Hatch, Burke stabbed him in the head. I suspected he had some kind of powers from the eye drops all along but dead is dead surely
    or was Jack
    back in time from the point at which the game ended with will in the pool
    :confused:

Did you read the note outside serene's office?
    Hatch had mastered his powers to the point of transcending his physical form, he exists in all places at once or something..that's why he blew up dr kim, he was freeing him as there's a few like him and kim was one of them
    Bit stupid that stuff was hidden away in collectibles.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,437 ✭✭✭biggebruv

finished it its just forgetable really nothing really stood out the game looks great has great gunplay but it was all so bland

bland levels
    bland enemies
    bland tv episodes

the characters were ok story was interesting

overall id say its just an "ok" game

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Did you read the note outside serene's office?
    Hatch had mastered his powers to the point of transcending his physical form, he exists in all places at once or something..that's why he blew up dr kim, he was freeing him as there's a few like him and kim was one of them
    Bit stupid that stuff was hidden away in collectibles.

I expect DLC to flesh that out, that was one of the few collectibles I missed on my Hard play through and by god was the end all kinds of cheap in terms of bosses, nice warm up for Dark Souls 3 in that one. So hard to tell if you are going to be killed in one shot or not, must have taken me 20 attempts. Getting killed in the dash +B melee animation is the worst.
    biggebruv wrote: »
    finished it its just forgetable really nothing really stood out the game looks great has great gunplay but it was all so bland

bland levels
    bland enemies
    bland tv episodes

the characters were ok story was interesting

overall id say its just an "ok" game

I didn't think it looked all that good visually personally, it certainly doesn't hold up to the likes of the division which is the most other recent AAA i played, and I still maintain their lighting effects are total poo.

I liked even enjoyed the plot, and TV shows. It succeeded in merging a TV show and game for me, just the game part was pretty poor. I thought I would have an issue with sitting through 30 minute cut scenes but they proved to be ok and actually on a par with any other Fox show..... I assume given the actors and film style it was done by Fox people??? I just needed Kevin Bacon ;)

As I said earlier though it was very formulaic , you have 3 rooms. 2 are collectibles and puzzle platform, press Y before the 3rd room and you can see the ammo bags and know there is a fight.

I wonder if had been more stealth based and you used powers in a more limited way to sneak passed enemies would it have been better????

Oh there was another thing I noticed regards collectibles and plot holes near the end.
    Fiona is on the radio to you opening doors and you get a collectible in a stutter explaining how radios don't work in them while talking to her on a radio
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Oh there was another thing I noticed regards collectibles and plot holes near the end.
    Fiona is on the radio to you opening doors and you get a collectible in a stutter explaining how radios don't work in them while talking to her on a radio
    :pac:
    The radio transmission ends with the train coming in. You pick up that document beside a stutterproof hardwired connection, which is how Fiona is able to contact you
    Finished the game on hard myself, just going back to do the other junctions and get the alternate documents from them.

Man the final boss is cheap with his OHK attack, awkward to avoid even while time rushing.

• Advertisement

The radio transmission ends with the train coming in. You pick up that document beside a stutterproof hardwired connection, which is how Fiona is able to contact you
    Finished the game on hard myself, just going back to do the other junctions and get the alternate documents from them.

Man the final boss is cheap with his OHK attack, awkward to avoid even while time rushing.

If you are interested in achievements be careful as changing the junction will lower your progress towards the collectibles, and you may have to redo a lot of them.

Advertisement