Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭unit 1

nuac wrote: »
    In 2007 and 2011 there was a huge FG canvass in Mayo to elect a Mayo Taoiseach. In round figures Endas vote grew from lower 5000s in 2002, 14000 in 2007 and 17000 in 2011. Four out of 5 TDs were FG in 2011.

FG canvassers were in overdrive painting a picture of plenty for the county, jobs for all etc etc. Hasn't happened.

I really dont get this. I was canvassed in 2011 and there was definitely no promises like those listed above. The senator who canvassed me was in fact brutally honest about what they had to do and did'nt sugar coat it even though he did not know how I was going to vote at the outset.
    As regards this election, people should ask themselves the following.
    What are we talking about today-

Improved economy
    Tax reductions
    Better prospects
    Some hope for the future(and yes I do have kids)

As regards in 2011 what were we talking about-

Economic disaster
    Negative equity
    Bankruptcy
    No money
    IMF
    Emigration
    Increasing taxation
    Promissary notes (remember them)
    Not being able to borrow on the markets.

Now play spot the difference and tell me with a straight face that EK should have spent his time sorting out potholes and jobbies for people .

The answer is self evident but beware the many closet FFers who want us to forget the very recent past.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Whats this nonesense about doing stuff for your hometown????:( TD's sre elected to legislate. This parish pump attitude has this country ruined. This expectation that a TD has to do something is incorrect imo.

Then why vote for any of them?

Do you really think that all they do is legislate, they are also meant to provide assistance to their constituents and tackle local issues, the country is ruined for more reasons than the parish pump.

Padraig Flynn managed to do a lot for the town and the surrounding areas and also helped quite a few of the unemployed in town secure jobs.

Mulhern :pac:
    I'm voting Mulhern just to increase the chance she might get 3rd place over Kenny and completely embarrass him.

There is no politician that has done less for their constituency than Enda Kenny, he betrayed the people that voted for him in the last election.

Mayo had the 5th lowest amount of IDA visits in whole country and thats repeated for the past few years. The lower placed counties had substantially smaller populations. Kenny has gone out of his way to ensure that Mayo did not even gets its fair share of resources or opportunities, just so he could tell the national media that he did nothing for Mayo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I'm voting Mulhern just to increase the chance she might get 3rd place over Kenny and completely embarrass him.

There is no politician that has done less for their constituency than Enda Kenny, he betrayed the people that voted for him in the last election.

Mayo had the 5th lowest amount of IDA visits in whole country and thats repeated for the past few years. The lower placed counties had substantially smaller populations. Kenny has gone out of his way to ensure that Mayo did not even gets its fair share of resources or opportunities, just so he could tell the national media that he did nothing for Mayo.

I think it was just 3 visits with Longford, Monaghan and Roscommon getting the lowest with 2 each, in comparison Westmeath had 28 visits, Cork had 48 and Limerick had 40.

Xenji wrote: »
    I think it was just 3 visits with Longford, Monaghan and Roscommon getting the lowest with 2 each, in comparison Westmeath had 28 visits, Cork had 48 and Limerick had 40.

Whats even worse is Waterford had 31 IDA visits, they have less than half the population of Mayo. Mayo has an airport, gas supply, transatlantic fibre connection and a college. We should have closer to 30 visits not 3.

Kenny doesn't want jobs going to Mayo as he is such a coward that he is afraid somebody might criticise him for it. He deserves zero votes in Mayo. His fellow county TD's are ashamed of his inaction in the county. He should be completely Boycotted.

Mulhern was warned by Kenny for getting media attention to the fact that Kenny did absolutely nothing for Knock Airport while giving hundreds of millions to Shannon airport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Whats even worse is Waterford had 31 IDA visits, they have less than half the population of Mayo. Mayo has an airport, gas supply, transatlantic fibre connection and a college. We should have closer to 30 visits not 3. .

Very good point on the transatlantic fibre connection. I've work for an IT company that has been in Mayo for over 20 years. No reason why there can't be more IT companies located in Mayo too.

IT companies typically don't need a strong road infrastructure, railway lines etc., as they don't produce physical goods. It is also a clean industry. Don't tell me that loads of families in Dublin would love to get the hell out of there and relocate here too.

There is a distinct lack of vision or ambition with our politicians here.

Who to vote for in this general election, that is the question. A Taoiseach who has done exactly zero diddly squat for Mayo in the past 5 years?

Michelle Mulherin, whose only contribution has been distributing leaflets to households on what state benefits people can claim (big vote of confidence there for job creation west of the Shannon alright), and a big phone bill for calls to Kenya? Go fornicate yourself Michelle.

Opposition parties that are equally culpable of being bought and sold by vested interests inside and outside of Ireland? No thanks.

A bunch of one issue independents, who at best will be lone voices in the wilderness?

Not much of a choice unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭caitb1

I will not give any one of fine gael a vote, shower of liars, nor will i vote fianna fail we need a change and a change wont happen if we keep voting for the same crap

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

signostic wrote: »

Teresa Waldron complains she is "sick of getting into rows" with people who say the Taoiseach hasn't delivered for Castlebar like "Michael Ring has for Westport".

Seems to be a common refrain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

gizmo555 wrote: »

Teresa Waldron complains she is "sick of getting into rows" with people who say the Taoiseach hasn't delivered for Castlebar like "Michael Ring has for Westport".

Seems to be a common refrain.

I am not sure I would call losing the towns biggest attraction delivering for Westport....Minister of State for Tourism and to have the Westport festival gone and now Westport House on the verge of closing.

Wouldn't that be like Leo Varadkar closing a hospital in his constituency?

• Advertisement

I am not sure I would call losing the towns biggest attraction delivering for Westport....Minister of State for Tourism and to have the Westport festival gone and now Westport House on the verge of closing.

Wouldn't that be like Leo Varadkar closing a hospital in his constituency?

What I meant is that, whether true or not, it is a common perception that Ring has delivered for Westport in a way that Kenny hasn't for Castlebar.

So far as the Westport Festival is concerned, the promoter had a three year contract to run it at Westport House, which he fulfilled. He then tried to transfer it to Killarney last year, where it had to be cancelled due to poor ticket sales. That was the promoter's commercial decision, which didn't work out for him. How is it any responsibility of Ring's?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

What I meant is that, whether true or not, it is a common perception that Ring has delivered for Westport in a way that Kenny hasn't for Castlebar.

So far as the Westport Festival is concerned, the promoter had a three year contract to run it at Westport House, which he fulfilled. He then tried to transfer it to Killarney last year, where it had to be cancelled due to poor ticket sales. That was the promoter's commercial decision, which didn't work out for him. How is it any responsibility of Ring's?

He's known as the "minister for westport" around here. Millions announced by him (whether true or not, tis election fever) for westport in the last number of weeks.

mayo.mick wrote: »
    He's known as the "minister for westport" around here. Millions announced by him (whether true or not, tis election fever) for westport in the last number of weeks.

He is known as the minister for small amounts of money within his own party.

As for the promoter of the Westport festival leaving..... Do we only have one promotions company in this country?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I see the pro lifers are distributing leaflets highlighting the candidates who are against repealing the 8th amendment

As for the promoter of the Westport festival leaving..... Do we only have one promotions company in this country?

No. But it's the business of Westport House to find another one, if they want to and no-one else's. The Brownes did say in the local press when the contract wasn't renewed that they didn't expect to do anything in 2015, but that they had learned a lot from the experience and hoped to run other events there in coming years.

I suppose events may have overtaken these aspirations, but that remains to be seen. Personally, I wish them well and hope they find a solution to the present difficulties.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I see the pro lifers are distributing leaflets highlighting the candidates who are against repealing the 8th amendment

Useful information. :pac:

Report in today's (15/02/16) Indo on a constituency poll it did in Mayo confirms this:

Fine Gael is on course to retain three seats in Enda Kenny's constituency - despite voters believing the Taoiseach has been the least effective TD in Mayo . . .

. . . And while 54pc said they were satisfied with Mr Kenny's work as Taoiseach, they rated Mr Ring as a far more effective TD. One in two people polled said the Minister of State at the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport was the county's best public representative.

He is known as the minister for small amounts of money within his own party.

Well maybe he should be given responsibility for larger amounts after the election, especially if his personal support in the constituency helps get a 3rd seat for "his own party."

Report in today's (15/02/16) Indo on a constituency poll it did in Mayo confirms this:

Fine Gael is on course to retain three seats in Enda Kenny's constituency - despite voters believing the Taoiseach has been the least effective TD in Mayo . . .

. . . And while 54pc said they were satisfied with Mr Kenny's work as Taoiseach, they rated Mr Ring as a far more effective TD. One in two people polled said the Minister of State at the Department of Transport, Tourism and Sport was the county's best public representative.

Well maybe he should be given responsibility for larger amounts after the election, especially if his personal support in the constituency helps get a 3rd seat for "his own party."

Painful to read the results of this poll. Feels like our constituency is taken for granted. Is it any wonder that we're being ignored?

Would be great to see things shaken up in this election, or at the very least a substantial drop in votes for Fine Gael.

Might go some way to awakening Mayo TDs from their slumber.

Painful to read the results of this poll. Feels like our constituency is taken for granted. Is it any wonder that we're being ignored?

Would be great to see things shaken up in this election, or at the very least a substantial drop in votes for Fine Gael.

Might go some way to awakening Mayo TDs from their slumber.

If people give Kenny a full quota when he has done absolutely nothing but disregard Mayo, then he will will have no incentive to do anything in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Useful information. :pac:

It is for me, i know who not to give any preference too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭ethical

It is quite unbelievable that the amadáns and morons who gave Kenny the huge vote last time 'because they wanted to say they voted for the Taoiseach', (because he was totally going to deliver,why wouldnt he,no reason he would not prioritise his home county for urgent jobs action so as to try and keep the young people at home)!
    There are less young people in Mr.Kennys home town now than there was at the time of the last election,many have moved away,even some who actually had jobs are gone!
    The most recent poll talked about on radio (used a sample of something like 500 people) are giving FG 3 seats,this cannot be correct.
    My tuppence worth is Ring will top the poll,Kennys vote will be well down but Ring transfers will pull him through.Calleary will get an FF seat and then the battle for the final seat will be very interesting.I would not bet against Rose Conway Walsh,she is articulate and hardworking.Also we must bear in mind that while she is cornered in north west Mayo she will actually clean up in East Mayo which has been forgotten about by the 'BIG' parties.Conway Walsh will gain greatly here,the Gerry Murray factor will work in her favour.It may be argued that she may not be too transfer friendly(rather her party not her personally) but I beg to differ.She may also have a say in Castlebar (again benefiting from Therese Ruanes hard work). Dr.Cowley may make a bigger splash than people may think.He is a workacholic and the 'no doctor -no village' ticket on which he is placing great emphasis resonates quite a lot with older people and young families in rural Ireland who have been forgotten about and who have to wait for hours and hours for West Doc.Put with that the 'No GARDA STATIONS' and it leaves the people of rural Ireland frightened in their own beds at night.People have not forgotten the mess FF made so it will be difficult for Miss Chambers to make the impression she would like,while she is young ,enthusiastic and will be one for the future she may have to wait another while.The whole idea of Miss Mulhern thinking she will win a seat is somewhat laughable!.Now Mulhern has to be a very intelligent person as her qualifications would deem her to be but she has an uncanny knack of putting her foot in it on a regular basis,somewhat naive for someone of her experience.Fornication,Kenya and Abortion are things she would rather people forget,but will they? So in order of elected it will be; Ring FG
    Kenny FG
    Calleary FF
    ConwayWalsh SF or Dr. Cowley IND

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

I think the above poster has nailed the first three seats in the order they'll be filled. Kenny will still get a solid vote as enough people will see it as important to have a Taoiseach in the West, and it's not as if we're spoiled with alternatives.

The final seat is difficult to call. I can't see FF getting enough support to get Chambers over the line, even if she'd bring something new. She is still carrying what many see as a toxic party logo, especially among young people, which would probably be somewhere she'd need to clean up.

Cowley will have some decent support but I just can't see him getting enough. Rose Conway Walsh is another interesting one. She definitely seems prominent in local media and at the very least I can say I've heard about her a lot in her time as a cllr, which is more than I can say for a lot of the others.

That being said, I can see Mulhern getting enough to get her the last seat. She definitely has an unhealthy propensity for drawing negative attention and she's not very measured I feel. She and John O'Mahony seemed quite similar to me, both willing to toot their own horn but I don't think either have the capabilities to be effective representatives. Her location will benefit her too.

My prediction:
    1st: Ring
    2nd: Kenny
    3rd: Calleary
    4th: Mulhern

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

Yes, that sounds about right. Mulhern will probably get in purely due to the lack of a strong alternative. Maybe O'Mahony should have stayed in the constituency - he would have probably got in ahead of her and may struggle in Galway.

I find it hard to see a left wing candidate like Conway Walsh getting the votes in Mayo - it hasn't happened in the recent past anyway. I don't think there's an independent there who can get enough votes together either - Cowley the most likely of the bunch but I think his day may have come and gone. In terms of Fianna Fail Lisa Chambers doesn't seem to appeal to their older voters and Fianna Fail don't appeal to younger voters so she's pissing into the wind again this time around I reckon.

On one side it's hugely embarrassing to see Mulhern getting voted back in but, at the same time, when you go through the candidates I can't see anyone else being strong enough to take the fourth seat. Hope I'm wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

Tom Moran from Westport seems a decent soul with good intentions. He's getting my No.1 in Mayo anyway. FG, SF and Cowley will get my preferences due to a lack of a Labour candidate.

If anybody votes for Kenny after this latest insult to Mayo people they need to get their head checked.

http://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-voters-whingers-hometown-2615710-Feb2016/
    http://www.joe.ie/news/video-enda-kenny-slams-whingers-in-his-home-town-of-castlebar/531920

Vote Mulherin and put Kenny in last place.

If anybody votes for Kenny after this latest insult to Mayo people they need to get their head checked.

http://www.joe.ie/news/video-enda-kenny-slams-whingers-in-his-home-town-of-castlebar/531920

Why vote for mulherin? You need your head checked.

None of them care about any of you.

I'm sure Michelle is doing her best, the problem is that her best is 20% of what is needed. She is just not good enough. She would have been sacked a long time ago in private industry.

This is what happens when a county's vote is taken for granted.

Has there ever been a Government so out of touch with the electorate?

We need to wake up and stop voting in the same bunch of clowns from the 2 main parties every 5 years. Maybe then we'll get a little more respect.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭PLL

You don't insult the people who got you to where you are in life. What a disgrace.

Why vote for mulherin? You need your head checked.

None of them care about any of you.

I'm sure Michelle is doing her best, the problem is that her best is 20% of what is needed. She is just not good enough. She would have been sacked a long time ago in private industry.

Could not care less about Mulherin as long as somebody beats Kenny in to third and he has to sneak in last...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

That will still mean 3 blue shirts for mayo.best thing to do is vote for none of them.
    Quick question if/ when kennys votd is down that will mean less transfes to mulherne so if ring/ Kenny get low vote she will have job to get over the line?

Also a big hello to the blue shirts social media team I hear there reading all or comments

Advertisement