Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Mayo

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

naughto wrote: »
    That will still mean 3 blue shirts for mayo.best thing to do is vote for none of them.
    Quick question if/ when kennys votd is down that will mean less transfes to mulherne so if ring/ Kenny get low vote she will have job to get over the line?

Also a big hello to the blue shirts social media team I hear there reading all or comments
    Ring will clean up better than a Westport tidy towns committee. Someone on crc said he's almost like an independent in that he gets all the benefits of being in government, and none of the blame. He'll top the poll and Enda will get his transfers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

similarities to another time
    God knows we have some All-Ireland champions here in Castlebar. I don't mean Castlebar Mitchells [GAA club], I mean the whingers that I hear every week saying there's nothing happening.

Sitting on the sidelines, cribbing and moaning is a lost opportunity. I don't know how people who engage in that don't commit suicide because frankly the only thing that motivates me is being able to actively change something

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

There is zero chance Enda will be Taoiseach after this election.

I mean Zero!

There is no way his own party will want him back and no way in hell any coalition will have him at the helm.

The people of Mayo need to ask themselves what good will Enda Kenny be with no power at all. Just a back bencher. He did nothing while in power so there is no chance now he is nothing.

It's clear his time is up, even his own party don't want him and can't understand how they let him get where he is.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

If anybody votes for Kenny after this latest insult to Mayo people they need to get their head checked.

http://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-voters-whingers-hometown-2615710-Feb2016/
    http://www.joe.ie/news/video-enda-kenny-slams-whingers-in-his-home-town-of-castlebar/531920

Vote Mulherin and put Kenny in last place.

Ah but the cute hoor knew he had an ace in his pocket for the last week of the campaign, Ireland West Airport.

He's been blocking that capital investment package (first announced by FF back in 2007) to the fury of his own party colleagues for 5 years, commissioning report after report (which endorsed investment), and blaming the issue to EU rules (who waved it through months ago).

Expect "huge, historic, major boost" announcement of a plan (FG love 'plans', Ts&Cs apply) any day ...

Neworder79 wrote: »
    Ah but the cute hoor knew he had an ace in his pocket for the last week of the campaign, Ireland West Airport.

He's been blocking that capital investment package (first announced by FF back in 2007) to the fury of his own party colleagues for 5 years, commissioning report after report (which endorsed investment), and blaming the issue to EU rules (who waved it through months ago).

Expect "huge, historic, major boost" announcement of a plan (FG love 'plans', Ts&Cs apply) any day ...

It will be €30m over 5 years. No where near enough and he wont be around to see it happen

• Advertisement

I was wrong.

It's €10 million.

What a joke.

Keep the recovery going lads. Number 1 ring and number 2 Kenny.

Clowns

I was wrong.

It's €10 million.

What a joke.

Clowns

FFS it wouldn't open a Spar. It's an insult after the Shannon bailout deal and 5 years of promises.

IWAK and the 7 county councils have bent over backwards to do every thing possible to justify the case for capital investment. Clearly the administration wasn't happy with the conclusions of is own reports and has jettisoned Knock.

Liam Scallon was right to walk out, can't trust this Governments agenda.

Kenny is dangerous because he is afraid to be seen investing in anything that might be regarded as parish pump in Dublin no matter what the justification.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I was wrong.

It's €10 million.

What a joke.

Clowns

what lisa and dara going to do, lisa wont get into any cabinet position. dara might have a chance.

irishgeo wrote: »
    what lisa and dara going to do, lisa wont get into any cabinet position. dara might have a chance.

They are not capable of doing anything either.

We need new politicians with experience of life outside of political circles.

None of our TDs have any experience of life or business.

The announcement today stinks of something someone with no experience of business would announce.

€10 million is a nice round figure and sounds like a lot but as said above it wouldn't open a spar.

Midwest the local media are as bad as the politicians and will trumpet yet another "major boost".

The airport know who feeds them and will issue the usual PR bull.

I hope people see this for what it is, the agenda laid bare.

• Advertisement

Midwest the local media are as bad as the politicians and will trumpet yet another "major boost".

The airport know who feeds them and will issue the usual PR bull.

I hope people see this for what it is, the agenda laid bare.

What agenda is this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

CRC not much better this morning in an interview with Vincent Browne.

This bit was funny though- Crc: And are you surprised Vincent that Castlebar produced a Taoiseach? Vincent: Well any town can produce a Taoiseach. I'm surprised that Enda Kenny became Taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭robman60

People saying Enda might be fighting for the last seat need their heads checked imo. I know I said Ring to top the poll but I think it will be pretty close between him and Kenny for the top spot. He may not be up to much locally but people will surely realise that Enda has more influence than some opposition TD with zero influence over any issues, local or national.

robman60 wrote: »
    People saying Enda might be fighting for the last seat need their heads checked imo. I know I said Ring to top the poll but I think it will be pretty close between him and Kenny for the top spot. He may not be up to much locally but people will surely realise that Enda has more influence than some opposition TD with zero influence over any issues, local or national.

There is no way he will be Taoiseach after this election.

I think we can all agree FG will not be able to govern on their own.

I think we all agree that LAB wont be any kind of partner to form a government with.

So the out comes are this:

1: FG + whoever (Enda said no way will he sit with FF or SF) so for FG to hold on to the power they so desperately crave, Enda has to go and FG will get rid of him.

2: Some other coalition will form and Enda will be out in the cold, again I cant see any way FG will hold on to him in opposition. He did that for 10 years and was completely ineffectual.

I am open to correction on any of the above points and would love to hear other theories as to how it will all fall into place.

TLDR: I cant see a way in which Enda Kenny stays in any kind of position of influence

***Ts & Cs***
    "This €10m will be added to the next programme for government."

What agenda is this?

It's not hard to read between the lines...

There was a change of policy early in this administration, around the time Varadkar pointed out Knock could overtake state airport Shannon.

Department of Transport refused to give Knock strategic status despite earlier report conclusions.

Agencies of state row in behind Shannon, Noonan secures package circa €100m

3rd report in 10 years commissioned, Enda kicked issue to touch for gov term.

Airport chairman resigns.

Internal row in FG over the issue, blame Europe.

5 years later we have another election promise for the next term.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Let's say my only criterion is to elect someone who can be relied on to deliver hundreds of millions of euros worth of investment into Mayo.

Who should I vote for, and how will they deliver?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Let's say my only criterion is to elect someone who can be relied on to deliver hundreds of millions of euros worth of investment into Mayo.

Who should I vote for, and how will they deliver?

It's hard to judge the candidates that have never been elected.

It's very easy to judge the sitting TDs. None of them are capable of delivering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

There is no way he will be Taoiseach after this election.

I think we can all agree FG will not be able to govern on their own.

I think we all agree that LAB wont be any kind of partner to form a government with.

So the out comes are this:

1: FG + whoever (Enda said no way will he sit with FF or SF) so for FG to hold on to the power they so desperately crave, Enda has to go and FG will get rid of him.

2: Some other coalition will form and Enda will be out in the cold, again I cant see any way FG will hold on to him in opposition. He did that for 10 years and was completely ineffectual.

I am open to correction on any of the above points and would love to hear other theories as to how it will all fall into place.

TLDR: I cant see a way in which Enda Kenny stays in any kind of position of influence

Enda is 1/7 to be the Taoiseach after the election so if you really believe what you say get down to the bookies quick. Personally I think the two most likely outcomes are:

1: Enda does a deal with Fianna Fail. What he's saying today and what he'll be saying by the end of the week may well be two different things.
    2: No deal with Fianna Fail but FG run a minority Government instead.

Either of those would see Enda remain Taoiseach, in the short term at least.

Also, as said by others above, the 10 million for Knock (maybe at some point, but probably never) is an absolute insult to the great work that has been done there in the last 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Nothing but a shower of whingers posting here*

* sorry, couldn't resist ;)

Enda is 1/7 to be the Taoiseach after the election so if you really believe what you say get down to the bookies quick. Personally I think the two most likely outcomes are:

1: Enda does a deal with Fianna Fail. What he's saying today and what he'll be saying by the end of the week may well be two different things.
    2: No deal with Fianna Fail but FG run a minority Government instead.

Either of those would see Enda remain Taoiseach, in the short term at least.

Also, as said by others above, the 10 million for Knock (maybe at some point, but probably never) is an absolute insult to the great work that has been done there in the last 10 years.

Good points. I really can't see FF allowing Enda to "lead" them.

If they do get together it will be the end of one of them for all time.

• Advertisement

It's hard to judge the candidates that have never been elected.

It's very easy to judge the sitting TDs. None of them are capable of delivering.

Fair enough, but it seems that the sitting TDs are being judged solely by their ability to deliver the goods, so it seems only fair that the other candidates should be judged by the same measure.

If you vote for (say) Peter Jordan, will he deliver what the sitting TDs are being chastised for failing to deliver, and if so, how?

If you don't know, why would you vote for him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭saltsun

If that's what Enda will say about his constituents in public during an election, I'd love to be a fly on the wall to hear what he says in private.

But I'm probably just whinging......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Fair enough, but it seems that the sitting TDs are being judged solely by their ability to deliver the goods, so it seems only fair that the other candidates should be judged by the same measure.

If you vote for (say) Peter Jordan, will he deliver what the sitting TDs are being chastised for failing to deliver, and if so, how?

I would settle for our votes not being taken for granted, and the way to reverse this long standing trend is to not vote for any of the main parties.

In all fairness, we have a Fine Gael party asking us to return the same government for a second term, and yet Labour don't even bother their holes running a candidate in Mayo.

Candidate Party 1st Pref Share Quota Count Status Seat
    Enda Kenny Fine Gael Lozenge 17,472 23.56% 1.41 1 Made Quota 1
    Michael Ring1 Fine Gael Lozenge 13,180 17.77% 1.07 1 Made Quota 2
    Michelle Mulherin Fine Gael Lozenge 8,851 11.94% 0.72 8 Made Quota 3
    Dara Calleary Fianna Fail Lozenge 8,577 11.57% 0.69 8 Made Quota 4
    John O'Mahony5 Fine Gael Lozenge 8,667 11.69% 0.70 8 Elected 5
    Michael Kilcoyne Non party/Independent Lozenge 3,996 5.39% 0.32 (8) Not Elected
    Jerry Cowley Labour Lozenge 3,644 4.91% 0.29 (7) Eliminated
    Rose Conway Walsh Sinn Fein Lozenge 2,660 3.59% 0.22 (6) Eliminated
    Lisa Chambers Fianna Fail Lozenge 3,343 4.51% 0.27 (5) Eliminated
    Therese Ruane Sinn Fein Lozenge 2,142 2.89% 0.17 (4) No expenses
    Martin Daly Non Party/New Vision Lozenge 893 1.20% 0.07 (3) No expenses
    John Carey4 Green/Comhaontas Glas Lozenge 266 0.36% 0.02 (3) No expenses
    Loretta Clarke Non party/Independent Lozenge 218 0.29% 0.02 (3) No expenses
    Dermot McDonnell Non party/Independent Lozenge 216 0.29% 0.02 (3) No expenses
    Seán Forkin Non party/Independent Lozenge 29 0.04% 0.00 (3) No expenses
    Total valid 74,154 73.30%
    Spoilt votes 641 0.86%
    Total poll 74,795 73.94%

being interesting to see how the votes change.

odd sf ran 2 candidates in mayo.

If I knew the answer for the above I would be running myself.

The answer is I do not know how any of the others might deliver. Im pretty sure they wouldn't do any worse.

Michelle's record is a joke. Patting herself on the back for getting funding for a foot path. You couldn't make it up.

Ye need to wake up, it doesn't work like this in other countries, politicians arguing over who filled the most pot holes or who put in a footpath around a lake in Castlebar.

Enda claiming he was responsible for the walk way around lough lannagh is just beyond belief.

Surely to God, even the most hardened FG member should be asking themselves how it has got so bad that a footpath is something to be proud of.

The truth is, none of the current TDs would be anywhere if they were not members of political parties.

Would any of you employ Enda?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

They are not capable of doing anything either.

We need new politicians with experience of life outside of political circles.

None of our TDs have any experience of life or business.

The announcement today stinks of something someone with no experience of business would announce.

€10 million is a nice round figure and sounds like a lot but as said above it wouldn't open a spar.

Lazy nonsense. Ring was a bread man, O' Mahony a teacher and top GAA manager, Calleary worked in banking i think.

The answer is I do not know how any of the others might deliver. Im pretty sure they wouldn't do any worse.

Is "probably no worse than the shower I've been heaping opprobrium on" enough to qualify for a vote?

Leaving aside the whole question of who's going to personally bring tens of millions of Euros to Mayo, are there any other criteria by which we should be judging candidates?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

If I knew the answer for the above I would be running myself.

Michelle's record is a joke. Patting herself on the back for getting funding for a foot path. You couldn't make it up.

Ye need to wake up, it doesn't work like this in other countries, politicians arguing over who filled the most pot holes or who put in a footpath around a lake in Castlebar.

Enda claiming he was responsible for the walk way around lough lannagh is just beyond belief.

Surely to God, even the most hardened FG member should be asking themselves how it has got so bad that a footpath is something to be proud of.

The truth is, none of the current TDs would be anywhere if they were not members of political parties.

Would any of you employ Enda?

Err... Are you trying to claim politicians in other countries don't take credit for leisure facilities such as upgrading lake-side parks and installing walking and cycling routes? If so, you're wrong.

What's not to be proud of? Lots of people using the paths to keep fit or get fit, and it's partly part of a network of greenways planned for the county under the Great Western Greenway brand -- which will be great for tourism.

Seems like a strange thing to be bashing the FG TDs on -- paths are hardly the only thing they are claiming credit for.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Is "probably no worse than the shower I've been heaping opprobrium on" enough to qualify for a vote?

Leaving aside the whole question of who's going to personally bring tens of millions of Euros to Mayo, are there any other criteria by which we should be judging candidates?

Great question! That's the problem for me - the lack of integrity and honesty which are vital criteria in anyone I deal with in life. Politicians ability to bend
    the truth and circumvent issues by spinning is annoying.

How can some of these relate to people's life experience - paying a mortgage, providing for my family and working hard? All in the face of additional taxes and charges that make it difficult to stay afloat. They are significantly removed from reality.

• Advertisement

At this stage, yes, probably is good enough. Its better than definitely not, which is proven to be the case of our current TDs when it comes to delivering.

Its up to you how you judge candidates. I have had more than enough time to judge the current crop of TDs and not one of them deserves a vote. They have no experience outside of life this tiny Island. Correct me if Im wrong. So I guess thats another thing I am looking for, someone who has done something other than politics.

Please dont mention selling bread, while I am sure its a valuable worthwhile job, its not experience making enough to become someone to represent me nationally or internationally.

Advertisement