Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Mayo

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Its up to you how you judge candidates.

Speaking personally, my major criterion isn't "what will they do for me?", but "what will they be in a position to deliver for the country and for the county?" - in that order. When I'm judging candidates for local government, local issues weigh more strongly.

When I look at the candidates, I have to decide how likely they are to be in government, and - if they are - what that government is likely to achieve.

I see one independent candidate running on the platform of "Mayo - eviction free county". If he's elected, will nobody ever be evicted in Mayo again?

I get it: people thought that Enda Kenny was single-handedly going to give every man, woman and child in Mayo a job and a pony, and now they want to punish him for failing to deliver. What I don't understand is why, rather than managing their own expectations, people are instead planning to vote for people who won't deliver anything either?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I get it: people thought that Enda Kenny was single-handedly going to give every man, woman and child in Mayo a job and a pony, and now they want to punish him for failing to deliver

Those voters deserve everything they vote for :rolleyes:

Only thing is that they might actually go out and for him agin.

irishgeo wrote: »
    Candidate Party 1st Pref Share Quota Count Status Seat
    Enda Kenny Fine Gael Lozenge 17,472 23.56% 1.41 1 Made Quota 1
    Michael Ring1 Fine Gael Lozenge 13,180 17.77% 1.07 1 Made Quota 2
    Michelle Mulherin Fine Gael Lozenge 8,851 11.94% 0.72 8 Made Quota 3
    Dara Calleary Fianna Fail Lozenge 8,577 11.57% 0.69 8 Made Quota 4
    John O'Mahony5 Fine Gael Lozenge 8,667 11.69% 0.70 8 Elected 5
    Michael Kilcoyne Non party/Independent Lozenge 3,996 5.39% 0.32 (8) Not Elected
    Jerry Cowley Labour Lozenge 3,644 4.91% 0.29 (7) Eliminated
    Rose Conway Walsh Sinn Fein Lozenge 2,660 3.59% 0.22 (6) Eliminated
    Lisa Chambers Fianna Fail Lozenge 3,343 4.51% 0.27 (5) Eliminated
    Therese Ruane Sinn Fein Lozenge 2,142 2.89% 0.17 (4) No expenses
    Martin Daly Non Party/New Vision Lozenge 893 1.20% 0.07 (3) No expenses
    John Carey4 Green/Comhaontas Glas Lozenge 266 0.36% 0.02 (3) No expenses
    Loretta Clarke Non party/Independent Lozenge 218 0.29% 0.02 (3) No expenses
    Dermot McDonnell Non party/Independent Lozenge 216 0.29% 0.02 (3) No expenses
    Seán Forkin Non party/Independent Lozenge 29 0.04% 0.00 (3) No expenses
    Total valid 74,154 73.30%
    Spoilt votes 641 0.86%
    Total poll 74,795 73.94%

being interesting to see how the votes change.

odd sf ran 2 candidates in mayo.

Greens are polling at 2.5% this time. In Mayo!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Lazy nonsense. Ring was a bread man, O' Mahony a teacher and top GAA manager, Calleary worked in banking i think.

Haaaaa now that's a good one. He went around in a van delivering bread, hardly a captain of industry. Michael O'Leary must be hoping ring doesn't get re elected so he can offer him a job!

O'Mahony, a teacher yes he may have been, nothing to do with business or running one. A successful GAA manager, I don't think so.

Calleary, not even a good back bencher, banking, what ever he was doing in that sector can have him.

By the way, banking is hardly a profession to hold in high esteem.

No wonder these lads keep getting back in if this is what is considered as experience and having something to offer.

monument wrote: »
    Err... Are you trying to claim politicians in other countries don't take credit for leisure facilities such as upgrading lake-side parks and installing walking and cycling routes? If so, you're wrong.

What's not to be proud of? Lots of people using the paths to keep fit or get fit, and it's partly part of a network of greenways planned for the county under the Great Western Greenway brand -- which will be great for tourism.

Seems like a strange thing to be bashing the FG TDs on -- paths are hardly the only thing they are claiming credit for.

You are missing the point completely. Yes I am standing by TDs in other countries not squabbling over a foot path, they fight over who got the most jobs into a town or area.

Proud if a footpath? You have to be kidding?

Tourism is all fine and well but it won't raise families.

This is what it has come to, us telling each other we should be greatful for a few bike tracks. Unbelievable.

We need real jobs and real infrastructure here not another place for children to ride bikes and spend €2 on an ice cream.

If this is what we want in this county, it's over for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Haaaaa now that's a good one. He went around in a van delivering bread, hardly a captain of industry. Michael O'Leary must be hoping ring doesn't get re elected so he can offer him a job!

O'Mahony, a teacher yes he may have been, nothing to do with business or running one. A successful GAA manager, I don't think so.

Calleary, not even a good back bencher, banking, what ever he was doing in that sector can have him.

No wonder these lads keep getting back in if this is what is considered as experience and having something to offer.

if people are so up in arms at the lack of credible candidates, why are they not running themselves?

irishgeo wrote: »
    if people are so up in arms at the lack of credible candidates, why are they not running themselves?

Is that a serious question?

People are so disillusioned they don't know what to do. Not everyone can run for election. The time and money and hours involved are massive. Even then any hope of impacting the main parties in Mayo is slim.

The 5 out going TDs are not credible

You know it's bad when people are looking back on P Flynn fondly and longingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,879 ✭✭✭signostic

Enda apologises for his whinger remarks, said it was meant for professional Fianna Fail politicians in Castlebar...who are these professionals?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

You are missing the point completely. Yes I am standing by TDs in other countries not squabbling over a foot path, they fight over who got the most jobs into a town or area.

As I've said: you're wrong on this: I know for a fact that politicians in the UK, the Netherlands, Denmark, Germany all boast about delivering greenways and other walking and cycling routes in their countries.

Nobody in Castlebar or anywhere is only boasting about delivering such. It's not like that's all any TD is talking about.

Proud if a footpath? You have to be kidding?

Do you think parks and greenways are useless?

Tourism is all fine and well but it won't raise families.

Do you read what you type before pressing post? Cycling tourism alone was worth €200 million to the Irish economy in 2011. Are you really trying to claim there's no jobs in tourism?

I'm not involved in tourism or farming or tech but I can see there's value in all three sectors... Why are you so dismissive of tourism?

In beyond tourism, Mayo has to be an attractive place to live to bring in outside investment. And there's also health benefits in helping people to be more active.
    We need real jobs and real infrastructure here not another place for children to ride bikes and spend €2 on an ice cream.

Did Castlebar really have that many safe and attractive places for "for children to ride bikes"? Can you give some examples?

Again: Cycling tourism alone was worth €200 million in 2011.
    If this is what we want in this county, it's over for us.

First, you're wrong about the value of what's being provided but there's also the fact that nobody -- not a single person -- is saying this is all we want in the county.

We need real jobs and real infrastructure here...

Let's talk about infrastructure. Under the current government, we've had a transatlantic fibre cable land in Mayo; we have the National Broadband Plan in the process of going to tender; we have the N5 at CPO stage; we have the N59 Westport-Newport upgrade in progress; we've had the Great Western Greenway and the Wild Atlantic Way, both of which are extremely successful tourism projects...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

Sneer away, you said none of them had any experience of life or business, patenlt untrue.

He's no O'Leary but afaik it was more than 'delivering' bread, he built up a very profitable run and sold it on. I know a few very successful local businesses set up by lads who had started their careers as bread men.

:pac: not worth replying to such ignorant nonsense

He's a front bencher and a former junior minister. Was only a backbencher for a short time. I'm not sure what criteria you're using.
    Well, regardless of what we think of them, it is 'life experience' which you denied they had

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Let's talk about infrastructure. Under the current government, we've had a transatlantic fibre cable land in Mayo; we have the National Broadband Plan in the process of going to tender; we have the N5 at CPO stage; we have the N59 Westport-Newport upgrade in progress; we've had the Great Western Greenway and the Wild Atlantic Way, both of which are extremely successful tourism projects...

This is no place for facts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

There is zero chance Enda will be Taoiseach after this election.

I mean Zero!

There is no way his own party will want him back and no way in hell any coalition will have him at the helm.

The people of Mayo need to ask themselves what good will Enda Kenny be with no power at all. Just a back bencher. He did nothing while in power so there is no chance now he is nothing.

It's clear his time is up, even his own party don't want him and can't understand how they let him get where he is.
    so lay bet him hes still 1/7, if you think its a cert theres loads of money there

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

It is all well and good us having this infrastructure, but we managed just 3 IDA visits last year and just 7 visits between 2009-2014, no point having it if we are not using it to entice more investment into the county.

Xenji wrote: »
    It is all well and good us having this infrastructure, but we managed just 3 IDA visits last year and just 7 visits between 2009-2014, no point having it if we are not using it to entice more investment into the county.

Fair point - so again, I'll ask the question: which of the 16 candidates, if elected, will bring the IDA to Mayo?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

Fair point - so again, I'll ask the question: which of the 16 candidates, if elected, will bring the IDA to Mayo?

Labor is no cheaper or more available in mayo then galway (1 hour) from shannon and therefore way more attractive to american companies.

Connections to uk from knock are a joke with regard to business travel unless your going to london, and even to london are not that great. Half the time have to drive to dublin to get a decent flight time.

Little or no connections to mainland europe from knock.

Realistically foreign companies are not going to build factories etc somewhere that is hard for management to visit regularly.

The new road from tuam to galway will probably do more for employment of people south of balla then the ida.

Vandy West wrote: »
    Labor is no cheaper or more available in mayo then galway (1 hour) from shannon and therefore way more attractive to american companies.

Connections to uk from knock are a joke with regard to business travel unless your going to london, and even to london are not that great. Half the time have to drive to dublin to get a decent flight time.

Little or no connections to mainland europe from knock.

Realistically foreign companies are not going to build factories etc somewhere that is hard for management to visit regularly.

The new road from tuam to galway will probably do more for employment of people south of balla then the ida.

So who do we vote for?

Fibre that has bypassed Mayo. It was private money that took it on shore.

NBP is EU mandated, I expect you know that already. FG did not drive it through nor was it their idea.

N5 is the NRA, again you know this, it has been in the pipe line for years, maybe we should credit FF with that one?

Greenway, fantastic, take up a train line for bikes. Seasonal low paying jobs.

Is this the best we have got? Is this what you are all happy with?

It seems I'm a lone voice here so maybe I'm the one who is wrong and this is as good as it gets.

By the way, there is no way Michelle is getting re elected after watching Vincent Browne tonight. Hats off to her for turning up but her best is no where good enough.

I thought Farrington preformed very well.

And is it just me or is there tension between Dara and Lisa?

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Vandy West

So who do we vote for?

I would generally like fg re tax and spending generaaly. As this would likely be ring and kenny,s last tour, they might be the best to bring some spoils back to mayo. Callearly would also be good if ff get in for bringing infrastructure as ff would prob want to rub it in to fg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

N5 is the NRA, again you know this, it has been in the pipe line for years, maybe we should credit FF with that one?

Greenway, fantastic, take up a train line for bikes. Seasonal low paying jobs

The Westport to Achill train line was closed in 1937 - I guess we should blame FF for that ;-)

• Advertisement

Fibre that has bypassed Mayo. It was private money that took it on shore.

NBP is EU mandated, I expect you know that already. FG did not drive it through nor was it their idea.

Is this the best we have got? Is this what you are all happy with?
    Are we back to the standard Irish attitude that anything negative that has ever happened is squarely the government's fault, and anything positive that has every happened has been in spite of government?
    It seems I'm a lone voice here so maybe I'm the one who is wrong and this is as good as it gets.
    Maybe it's not. Maybe one of the candidates will deliver something truly epic to Mayo, although you've yet to outline who or how.

Humour me: imagine you've voted for a candidate, and they have been elected. What would that candidate have to have achieved over the following five years in order for you to be satisfied with their performance?

Are we back to the standard Irish attitude that anything negative that has ever happened is squarely the government's fault, and anything positive that has every happened has been in spite of government? Maybe it's not. Maybe one of the candidates will deliver something truly epic to Mayo, although you've yet to outline who or how.

Humour me: imagine you've voted for a candidate, and they have been elected. What would that candidate have to have achieved over the following five years in order for you to be satisfied with their performance?

I am convinced, if someone with real leadership qualities and a bit of charisma, someone who has worked in business, locally and nationally and internationally was a TD for this county and leader of the country at the same time we would have attracted more business to Mayo.

Enda sat next to Elon Musk and countless others. The least I would expect is a visit and him trying to sell Mayo and it's great resource,it's educated people, to people who could bring real paying, real prospect jobs Mayo.

There is enough cafes here now lads, we demand something more .

I am convinced, if someone with real leadership qualities and a bit of charisma, someone who has worked in business, locally and nationally and internationally was a TD for this county and leader of the country at the same time we would have attracted more business to Mayo.

Enda sat next to Elon Musk and countless others. The least I would expect is a visit and him trying to sell Mayo and it's great resource,it's educated people, to people who could bring real paying, real prospect jobs Mayo.

Right, but I'm trying to move on from grumbling about how Enda didn't do enough. You've set a bar, and a fairly high one at that. For someone to deserve your vote, they need to deliver, and deliver big, for Mayo.

Who's going to do it, and how?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

The lack of factories and office space is the reason for the lack of Ida visits. Here is an empty field and oh yes another empty field.

The US companies have been complaining about the state of the n5 for years. Allergan have to include extra packaging on their goods to make sure they arrive safely.

Whoever said that they ripped up a railway line to put in a cycle lane is clutching at straws for criticism as it's not been a railway line for years.

Right, but I'm trying to move on from grumbling about how Enda didn't do enough. You've set a bar, and a fairly high one at that. For someone to deserve your vote, they need to deliver, and deliver big, for Mayo.

Who's going to do it, and how?

I can't answer that as I dont know enough about the other candidates.

I do know enough about the outgoing TDs, they can't do what is needed here.

I am also sure things can't get too much worse here if we were to give someone else a shot.

Enda has had 41 years to turn the place around. If you all think he has delivered then its over for us as a county. The lack of ambition is depressing.

We can do more here, we can attract good jobs, we just need someone to lead us.

On a separate note, how do you all think the debate went last night? Who preformed?

Are people right to be insulted that Enda didn't turn up? I can't understand Ring not turning up though, he goes places he's not even invited, like my father's funeral.

I can't answer that as I dont know enough about the other candidates.

I do know enough about the outgoing TDs, they can't do what is needed here.

I am also sure things can't get too much worse here if we were to give someone else a shot.
    You berate others for lack of ambition, but the standard to which you hold non-government candidates is "things can't get too much worse"?
    Enda has had 41 years to turn the place around. If you all think he has delivered then its over for us as a county.
    I think I'm starting to see the problem: you believe that the mere fact of being elected gives a TD the power to deliver unlimited goodies.
    We can do more here, we can attract good jobs, we just need someone to lead us.
    Lead us how? Let's pick another candidate: if we elect Gerry Boyle, how will he attract good jobs?

I'm labouring the point, but for a reason. I think a lot of people are voting out of anger, but anger is rarely a driver of logical, rational decision making.
    On a separate note, how do you all think the debate went last night? Who preformed?
    I don't watch debates. I don't think you can learn much about candidates by listening to them shouting over each other and repeating talking points.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

That's fantastically dismissive of tourism and all the jobs it supports directly and indirectly, and the local health and transport benefits too.

And you wonder you see your self on your own here with views like that?

Are you also dismissive of the farming and retail sectors because those sectors have a good few low paid jobs? Maybe Mayo just just focus on very high paid jobs for life? Do you think that would work well?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Would this be a start: http://www.midwestradio.ie/index.php/news/31270-three-companies-to-set-up-operations-at-former-volex-plant-in-castlebar-with-creation-of-up-to-200-jobs

Or will you whinge that its not enough?:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,197 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

I'm hoping for 3 FG to be returned but at the same time I'll take this announcement, a few days before the GE, with a pinch of salt. Even from reading the article it cries of spin... "could be"..."up to"... 200 jobs. There are probably 60 jobs there and the rest is fluff. That's assuming the 60 are there in the first place. There have been plenty of announcements over the last few years and they haven't transpired. If these announcements actually started to materialise then there would certainly be a lot less for people to whinge about.

Some people are blaming Kenny for everything. I'm surprised he hasn't be held accountable for failing to cure Cancer by some. But that said, everyone is entitled to whinge about his failings on the job front. He has grossly neglected his County. And I'm not one for too much parish pump politics, but the lack of anything, the abnormally low normal of IDA visits, have been a disgrace.

He has lead a decent Government imo. A lot of these decisions over the past while have been made for them but that said they've delivered stability and other positives. I hope to see them in power again but that's mainly due to the lack of any real or credible alternatives.

But by God, it's time he got the finger out and start to deliver (not announce) something real on the jobs front. He created the whingers and has given them enough ammo on that front.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

Well, look at that, a jobs announcement the week of the election. What a co-ink-a-dink! :)

I share some of godskitchen's exasperation, and it's clear to me from everyone I've talked to that this government hasn't delivered the madate they were given by the country 5 years ago.

If there are those that are voting for candidates outside of the main parties, it is borne out of this frustration.

I don't accept that we must accept our lot, and that we need to keep our expectations suitably low when it comes to elected officials.

The oft quoted definition of insanity in doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results seems applicable here.

As posted earlier in this thread, I've work for a very successful IT company that has been located in Mayo the past 20 years, so I believe we can bring more skilled jobs to Mayo.

Where there is a political will, there is a way.

Advertisement