Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Mayo

Options

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Well, look at that, a jobs announcement the week of the election. What a co-ink-a-dink! :)

I share some of godskitchen's exasperation, and it's clear to me from everyone I've talked to that this government hasn't delivered the madate they were given by the country 5 years ago.

If there are those that are voting for candidates outside of the main parties, it is borne out of this frustration.

I don't accept that we must accept our lot, and that we need to keep our expectations suitably low when it comes to elected officials.

The oft quoted definition of insanity in doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results seems applicable here.

As posted earlier in this thread, I've work for a very successful IT company that has been located in Mayo the past 20 years, so I believe we can bring more skilled jobs to Mayo.

Where there is a political will, there is a way.

Great. Who should we vote for?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Actually given the week that's in it and the previous questions about the sale of the site and unanswered questions about the companies, everyone should take those job figures with a pinch or even a bucket of salt...

What's the time frame for those jobs? 200 jobs this year or next or over five or 10 years?

When is recruitment starting?

What exact jobs will there be?

Are the Irish registered companies who will employ the people even set up yet? What's their names?

These kind of job announcements are often made with the media lapping them up without asking vital questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Great. Who should we vote for?

Vote for whoever you like. :) I'm not in the business of telling people who or what to vote for.

I've watched as many debates as I can so far (including that car crash of a TV3 one last night), and read the main points of candidate manifestos. I have a pretty good idea who I'll be voting for. I'm trying to make the most informed decision as I can.

Vote for whoever you like. :)
    I will. ;)
    I've watched as many debates as I can so far (including that car crash of a TV3 one last night), and read the main points of candidate manifestos. I have a pretty good idea who I'll be voting for. I'm trying to make the most informed decision as I can.
    Making informed decisions is good.

My argument is with those who won't vote for government TDs because they haven't delivered, while planning to vote for non-government TDs without apparently wondering what they'll deliver, or how.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

I will believe it when I see it, Opensparkz was meant to be up and running over 18 months ago and has been embroiled in various legal wranglings and just look at the Northgate and Cloudstrong announcements and also the Center of Excellence in the Army Barracks.

Over 600 jobs were promised, and only about 10 were created in Cloudstrong, were most are JobBridge interns now, easy to know there is a vote on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Spudman_20000

oscarBravo wrote: »
    My argument is with those who won't vote for government TDs because they haven't delivered, while planning to vote for non-government TDs without apparently wondering what they'll deliver, or how.

I suppose the counter argument to that is why not vote for someone else, and give them the chance to see what they can do. Otherwise it's another 5 years of the same old same old.

No one can really know how effective any elected candidate will be. If we're saying that Mayo TD's have no power and are completely ineffectual anyway, what's the risk of giving someone new a shot?

At the very least they might turn up to debates in their own constituency and not hide behind a podium hurling insults.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Lads I just dispair, I really do.

Yes, farming and retail jobs are important. Of course they are but surly to God there has to be more to Mayo than tea, cakes, bikes and cattle?

The greenway is just a cycle track and does not generate enough money for the praise it gets. The tourists it attracts are not spending enough for all the raving that goes on about the thing.

Sure, it's a great thing to have but there has to be more!

I'm at a loss here now as to what to say, I can't believe you all think things are rosey. I seem to have more ambition for Mayo than most of you put together. I'll leave ye all to it with your bikes and cakes. Don't fall over yourselves with all those jobs handing out sandwiches and repairing bike chains.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Xenji wrote: »
    I will believe it when I see it, Opensparkz was meant to be up and running over 18 months ago and has been embroiled in various legal wranglings and just look at the Northgate and Cloudstrong announcements and also the Center of Excellence in the Army Barracks.

Over 600 jobs were promised, and only about 10 were created in Cloudstrong, were most are JobBridge interns now, easy to know there is a vote on Friday.

Careful there!. The Anti-Whinge Police could knock on your door tonight:)

Lads I just dispair, I really do.

Yes, farming and retail jobs are important. Of course they are but surly to God there has to be more to Mayo than tea, cakes, bikes and cattle?

The greenway is just a cycle track and does not generate enough money for the praise it gets. The tourists it attracts are not spending enough for all the raving that goes on about the thing.

Sure, it's a great thing to have but there has to be more!

I'm at a loss here now as to what to say, I can't believe you all think things are rosey. I seem to have more ambition for Mayo than most of you put together. I'll leave ye all to it with your bikes and cakes. Don't fall over yourselves with all those jobs handing out sandwiches and repairing bike chains.

Hah - another whinger:)

Nobody said things are rosy. I pointed out the improvements in infrastructure that have happened in the last few years, and you waved them off. So, clearly, you have very high standards from your politicians: landing the first transatlantic cable on the west coast since independence and rolling out fibre to every premises don't come close to satisfying your ambitions.

Which is great - having high standards is a wonderful thing. I'm just waiting to hear how Sinn Féin, Renua and some independents are going to achieve what you want.

The logical corollary to "I'm not voting for government candidates because they won't deliver" is "I'm voting for non-government candidates because they will". If you believe this, fine: I'd just like to know how they'll achieve it.

So far, the most you seem to expect from non-government candidates is that they'll be no worse than what has gone before. Why do they have such a low bar, when the government has an infeasibly high one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

Enda didn't do himself any favours in the debate. His mix up over admitting appointing John McNulty to the IMMA was a big mistake.

Could Enda's seat be in trouble now? Media reports are not helping him nationally and referring to his lack of local development for Castlebar.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

finisklin wrote: »
    Enda didn't do himself any favours in the debate. His mix up over admitting appointing John McNulty to the IMMA was a big mistake.

Could Enda's seat be in trouble now? Media reports are not helping him nationally and referring to his lack of local development for Castlebar.
    I can't see it myself. He might not top the poll but he will get in.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

After watching that farce on TV3 the other night there isn't one independent I'd vote for. What some of them are doing there is beyond me.
    With regards the "big hitters", Mulherrin came out of it good, she was left to be bombed on her own without any of her political buddies to back their government decisions.
    Callery is polished, but I can't say he gave me anything new.
    Lisa Chambers held herself very well, but I just can't forget the pile of dung that FF have left behind and how much they try to paint over it.

At this stage I'd only mark a number 1 on the paper. I'd find it hard to give anyone else a vote.

With regards Mayo, its very disappointing, we have loads of announcements but nothing significant and so much of it never materialized.

I'd ask a genuine question, what have we gained over the last 5 years of FG in government. I'm struggling to find a positive. I'm still having to drive over 2.5 hours to and from work on the days I have to travel, Im still on shI*Te roads, they are probably worse than 5 years ago, I'm now paying more charges and more taxes and we now have a worse medical setup in Mayo than we had 5 years ago.

But as OB said above, what have the other candidates genuinely promised and can deliver outside of guff?

Yes we can help ourselves, personally I have been involved in 3 startups, one my own and that was more of a "who you know" to succeed and got shafted on the other 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

yop wrote: »
    After watching that farce on TV3 the other night there isn't one independent I'd vote for. What some of them are doing there is beyond me.
    With regards the "big hitters", Mulherrin came out of it good, she was left to be bombed on her own without any of her political buddies to back their government decisions.
    Callery is polished, but I can't say he gave me anything new.
    Lisa Chambers held herself very well, but I just can't forget the pile of dung that FF have left behind and how much they try to paint over it.

At this stage I'd only mark a number 1 on the paper. I'd find it hard to give anyone else a vote.

With regards Mayo, its very disappointing, we have loads of announcements but nothing significant and so much of it never materialized.

I'd ask a genuine question, what have we gained over the last 5 years of FG in government. I'm struggling to find a positive. I'm still having to drive over 2.5 hours to and from work on the days I have to travel, Im still on shI*Te roads, they are probably worse than 5 years ago, I'm now paying more charges and more taxes and we now have a worse medical setup in Mayo than we had 5 years ago.

But as OB said above, what have the other candidates genuinely promised and can deliver outside of guff?

Yes we can help ourselves, personally I have been involved in 3 startups, one my own and that was more of a "who you know" to succeed and got shafted on the other 2.
    id echo everything you said there Yop, but then are we different from anywhere else outside of the dublin commuter belt? and god knows they have their own problems, housing etc.

I would have been leaning to going back to my FF roots after having thrown my lot in with FG the last time, but i though both chamber's and calleary's attempts to dodge the 8th amendment issue was really disappointing, chambers refused to answer and calleary said no referendum because he didn't think it was an issue that people wanted to address and then later suggested we needed a referendum about something to do with private pension schemes.

most of the independents came across as slightly loopy, with the exception of jerry crowley who looked like he just didn't care and in fairness to that guy George o Malley, he came across OK.

where in the name of holy fcuk did they get the audience from? every header in Mayo was there and they all had something to say!!!

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

farmchoice wrote: »
    id echo everything you said there Yop, but then are we different from anywhere else outside of the dublin commuter belt? and god knows they have their own problems, housing etc.

I would have been leaning to going back to my FF roots after having thrown my lot in with FG the last time, but i though both chamber's and calleary's attempts to dodge the 8th amendment issue was really disappointing, chambers refused to answer and calleary said no referendum because he didn't think it was an issue that people wanted to address and then later suggested we needed a referendum about something to do with private pension schemes.

most of the independents came across as slightly loopy, with the exception of jerry crowley who looked like he just didn't care and in fairness to that guy George o Malley, he came across OK.

where in the name of holy fcuk did they get the audience from? every header in Mayo was there and they all had something to say!!!

Ya the audience was unusual..... I recognised a good few heads who are staunch supports of "insert party name here ", so I'd expect them to be there.

You're arguing with your self on that one. Nobody is saying Mayo isn't more than retail, farming and tourism.

You are the only one being dismissive one sector (tourism) because you don't appear to value it.

Who are we to trust on this? (1) Random internet poster who is being dismissive out-of-hand of the whole tourism sector and the jobs that tourism supports, or (2) a mix of official estimates from tourism bodies and what related businesses in Westport, Newport, Castlebar etc say?

I'm at a loss here now as to what to say, I can't believe you all think things are rosey.

Who said things are rosey? Why are you reducing everything to soundbites points relating to points posters have not even made or implied?

I seem to have more ambition for Mayo than most of you put together. I'll leave ye all to it with your bikes and cakes. Don't fall over yourselves with all those jobs handing out sandwiches and repairing bike chains.

There you go again being dismissive of tourism. Just because you want something else you should not be dismissive of an area you clearly know little about because what you're saying is the opposite of what those in tourism and related businesses say about greenways.

You seem very good at being dismissive but I can't see much ambition from you.... Maybe your dismissive is hidden somewhere within your dismissiveness of investment relating to health and tourism.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

How can a man get passes for the count on Saturday iam presuming that u will not get in with out one

How can a man get passes for the count on Saturday iam presuming that u will not get in with out one

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Neworder79

From 1st Independent candidate:
    There are Mayo business people in London, Boston and New York gagging to get into a Tax Zone at Knock and employ hundreds of people according to a very creditable source at Knock airport. The main blockages to this are Enda Kenny and our Dept of transport who would love to see the airport closed.

https://www.facebook.com/1377809175851685/photos/a.1377812995851303.1073741829.1377809175851685/1397601747205761/?type=1&theater

12771636_1397601747205761_2802137989775313153_o.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

The main blockage of the above post is the EU, they were the ones who vetoed it happening in Shannon, it has nothing to do with any politician in the country.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Xenji wrote: »
    The main blockage of the above post is the EU, they were the ones who vetoed it happening in Shannon, it has nothing to do with any politician in the country.

The EU were rather keen to close the one in Shannon.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

I see Ivan Yastes on newstalk is giving 2 FG and 2 FF in Mayo. Lisa Chambers takes last seat. This is on the back of FG putting foot in it and Kenny's whingers comments.

MM must be bricking it at this stage.

I thought there was a ban on canvasing 24 hours before the vote

• Registered Users Posts: 28 DeltaDelta

It is from 1400 today that the moratorium comes into place (as far as I know).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,151 ✭✭✭kupus

i didnt vote for dennis o brien to be given hand me outs like site serve, or buying oil companies I didnt vote for garda stations to be closed. I didnt vote for repeat offenders to be out on the streets preying on the normal citizens. i didnt vote for people to be hidden away on trollies while the taoiseach comes calling to the hospital.

Ive been voting FG ever since bertie and his betting bonanza, how people fell for this horsesh1te bertie stories i just dont know.

I voted for recovery. I dont see it. Its been 5 years, and blaming the FF lead government for the mess gets old especially after the 5th year.

Now im voting for Jerry Crowley and thats it.

naughto wrote: »

Each candidate gets a certain number of passes, but they need most of those for their own tally people.

Some of the independents may not be directly involved in tallying and may have passes to spare.

However if parties or independents have any spare passes they are likely to be given to those who have been directly involved in their campaigns.

An election count is one of the great events showing democracy in action. Where space allows there should be some places kept for secondary school students. I am glad that electronic voting did not go ahead. There is nothing like seeing the boxes being opened, opened up and counted out.
    Political careers are made and finished as the count progresses

There are still many countries which do not have independent elections.

naughto wrote: »
    I thought there was a ban on canvasing 24 hours before the vote

The ban is just on broadcast (radio and TV), and no posters or canvassing near polling stations.

Nothing else -- not canvassing to doors, not meeting people on streets, not giving lifts to polling stations, not internet, not podcasts, etc

i think you only need a pass to get right up to the actual counting, as a member of the public you can go into the hall and you are pretty much beside the action. once there it is easy to get a pass into the inner circle there are people in and out all the time.

finisklin wrote: »
    I see Ivan Yastes on newstalk is giving 2 FG and 2 FF in Mayo. Lisa Chambers takes last seat. This is on the back of FG putting foot in it and Kenny's whingers comments.

MM must be bricking it at this stage.

Usually over the years Enda has been an affable and courteous man. I was amazed when I heard the "locals are whingers" jibe. It was at the end of a tiring week for him. He lost the run of himself the night in the TF. There should have been an immediate unqualified apology and withdrawal first thing next morning. FG handlers allowed this to fester for about two days. Most Mayo people work hard. The remark caused hurt and resentment.

In GE 2007 and more so in 2011 there was huge push by FG canvassers in Mayo to support FG to secure a Mayo Taoiseach, that it would mean a lot for the county. Mayo responded well, electing four FG TDs to four of the five seats. Enda's vote more than trebled from 2002

Many who supported FG in their Mayo Taoiseach campaign are disappointed at the substantial failure to deliver jobs and investment to the county. There have been some job announcements, but many of those jobs have not come. It was wrong to label anyone who comments on that a "whinger".

FG will lose votes over this. Enda will be re-elected, but with a smaller or maybe no surplus. That would affect Mlle Mulherin. Mayo FG are very good at vote and canvassing management, but it is harder to manage a declining vote.

Both of the other two ladies running Conway-Walsh SF and Chambers FF were going well anyhow. . SF is affected by Adams' baggage and prevarication in dealing with it. Chambers, a brilliant young barrister working in Mayo, has a good campaign going. She has impressed even the hard-bitten Ivan Yates. Many here agree with his assessment 2 FG 2 FF

• Advertisement

all the pundits are calling it ring kenny and calleary as taking the first 3.
    im going to make a bold prediction here and say that chambers takes the third seat and leaves calleary in a dog fight for the 4th with conway-walsh.

the ballina area FF vote can be shaky, they jettisoned tom moffat for jerry crowley in 2002 for no apparent reason, if chambers has made any head way in the foxford, charlestown, swinford area then she will do much better then expected.

Advertisement