Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General Election 2016 - Mayo

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

I think you will see a big backlash against him and unfairly his family due to not delivering anything for Mayo when he had the chance. His chance is now over.

Not a hope in hell of that happening.

He could go around killing puppies at this stage and his seat would be safe.

I have spoken to people who openly admit he has done nothing for Castlebar yet still voted for him.

41 years of mediocrity, there is no back lash coming now.

He won't be leader of his party mush longer though.

Lisa Chambers sent those letters out as well. Was she greedy????
    She wasn't risking Callearys seat by doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

She wasn't risking Callearys seat by doing so.

And you think that by calling FF councillors whingers, he scuppered MM's chances? Nonesense.

naughto wrote: »
    I don't remember here calling us whingers

Is that you, Blackie:D:D:D:D:D

And you think that by calling FF councillors whingers, he scuppered MM's chances? Nonesense.

You think that calling "Locals" Whingers didn't cost Fine Gael Votes ? Nonsense. It was enough to push those on the edge to vote for Chambers instead of Kenny. It has probably done enough damage to give FF a gain and for Michelle Mulherin to lose her seat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Enda, thank you so much for the whingers remark. It meant SO much to me. I will be for ever grateful... Signed, Lisa.

You think that calling "Locals" Whingers didn't cost Fine Gael Votes ? Nonsense. It was enough to push those on the edge to vote for Chambers instead of Kenny. It has probably done enough damage to give FF a gain and for Michelle Mulherin to lose her seat.

Did you count those on the edge?:D It was a huge task for FG to get 3 seats. Even the bookies were giving odds-on that they would'nt get the 3 two weeks ago.
    Anyway its all over now and good luck to all in the nextDail

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

1. He did not limit the insult to FF Councillors - that was an afterthought from his PR people.

2. The remark cost FG votes, and harmed Mulherins chances

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,948 ✭✭✭gizmo555

nuac wrote: »
    2. The remark cost FG votes, and harmed Mulherins chances

No doubt, but at the end of the count, Chambers beat Mulherin by over 2,000 votes. That's hardly all, or even mostly, because of Enda's remark. She didn't lose her seat because of it and she wouldn't have kept it if he hadn't made it.

Mulherin harmed her own chances much more by her own gaffes over the course of the last Dáil term.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,504 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

Mulherin didn't need any help to lose her seat. She did that herself handy enough

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Seen "thank you" stickers on Lisa Chambers posters today when passing through Newport.
    I'm not sure when they were put on tbh but still nice to see.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

corsav6 wrote: »
    Seen "thank you" stickers on Lisa Chambers posters today when passing through Newport.

She has a selfie up with one of them on her Facebook pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭corsav6

Xenji wrote: »
    She has a selfie up with one of them on her Facebook pages.

Fair play to her, I didn't see any thank you on Enda's posters when I was over in Castlebar today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,349 ✭✭✭naughto

corsav6 wrote: »

Thought it was a nice touch myself haven't seen that before

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

gizmo555 wrote: »
    No doubt, but at the end of the count, Chambers beat Mulherin by over 2,000 votes. That's hardly all, or even mostly, because of Enda's remark. She didn't lose her seat because of it and she wouldn't have kept it if he hadn't made it.

Mulherin harmed her own chances much more by her own gaffes over the course of the last Dáil term.

The "whinger" jibe annoyed a lot of people. It was mentioned a lot around Castlebar and around the county,

Enda is a nice man, but he has been either teacher or deputy all his life.
    He has had no experience of running a business or farm. It is not easy.

Many selfemployed business people, farmers etc have found it hard to get by in recent years. The promises made by FG canvassers in GDE2011 have not been kept, Calling those who mention that whingers was wrong

Short of a comprehensive exit poll in Mayo, it is impossible to know how many votes were lost over whingergate, but it was a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

For anyone who hasn't seen it. Gob****e.
    A 'gob****e' for being so bold as to attempt to ask Kenny a question? Really - an interesting world view you've got there.
    He has a point, Enda has not spoken to him in 5 years,
    Correct - he's 5 years as a CONSTITUENT - attempting to put some queries to Enda - but apparently as a public representative in Ireland, it's acceptable that you pick and choose who you represent. How very democratic.
    A gob****e he may be but he will take them lads to court, you can be 100% sure of that.
    I most certainly hope he does. YOU may think it's ok for people to act unethically and illegally but I certainly don't. He should sue the bejaysus out of them and I have zero sympathy for them if he does.
    It's a shame as the lads "were only doing their job" but they will be getting the brunt of it now for upsetting Stephen Manning.
    Wrong! They do that job all day, every day. They know whats ethical and whats legal. What they did was neither. You refer to ' upsetting Stephen Manning'. If you were to leave your prejudice at the door, you would surmise that a bona fide election candidate was ejected unlawfully from an Electoral count centre for having the audacity to ask Enda Kenny a question. There is NO defence to that action - whatever way you feel about Manning.
    Best of luck to them, I hope the people they were protecting stand by them but I doubt it.
    Not satisfied with just defending the indefensible, you go on to wish that theres a coverup and that justice is not done. Well, I guess you know how things work in Ireland as well as the rest of us. Bravo.
    I actually thought, by bouncers standards, they were incredibly polite towards him. Another two would have just grabbed him and thrown him out the door.

Really? So a bona fide election candidate is ejected from an Electoral Count Centre for having the audacity of asking a question and you think the reaction is justified? Every day is truly a school day.
    A judge might agree with you but it won't stop him taking them to court and him serving them with papers. It won't cost him anything but time.

A Judge would have no grounds to agree with him - as the action was completely illegal - however, let that lack of ethics, cronyism and corrupt activity not get in the way of things.
    oscarBravo wrote: »
    ...and when the judge rules against him, he'll try to arrest the judge.
    Gee, I suppose if a judge (bearing in mind that judges are POLITICAL appointees and that there is NO mechanism to hold them to account in Ireland) takes that view, Manning should accept that without question? Really? Banana republic stuff.
    And now you are under arrest for making that comment.
    Nobody should have any fear of arrrest or law suit if they behave ethically...although in Ireland, that's just a theory.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

But we don't know that all he did was 'attempt to ask Kenny a question'. We can only comment based on the contents of the video. My view is purely that, regardless of the events leading up to that moment (which are unclear), he didn't come across well in the part of the incident that was filmed and, once the decision was taken that he should be removed from the count, the bouncers dealt with the situation in a professional manner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

But we don't know that all he did was 'attempt to ask Kenny a question'. We can only comment based on the contents of the video. My view is purely that, regardless of the events leading up to that moment (which are unclear), he didn't come across well in the part of the incident that was filmed and, once the decision was taken that he should be removed from the count, the bouncers dealt with the situation in a professional manner.
    I see - so he was ILLEGALLY removed from the electoral count centre (despite being an electoral candidate) ....in a very professional manner? You may need to ponder that a little..

As regards him 'not coming off well', what does that even mean for a start? Secondly, how well would you ' come across' if you were being WRONGLY gangplanked out of somewhere?

Lastly, as regards us not knowing, you can be damn sure we'd hear all about it if he had done anything untoward.

I see - so he was ILLEGALLY removed from the electoral count centre (despite being an electoral candidate) ....in a very professional manner? You may need to ponder that a little..

As regards him 'not coming off well', what does that even mean for a start? Secondly, how well would you ' come across' if you were being WRONGLY gangplanked out of somewhere?

Lastly, as regards us not knowing, you can be damn sure we'd hear all about it if he had done anything untoward.

Nothing illegal about him being removed.

And I would agree he doesn't come across well. IMO he comes across as a dangerous lunatic.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Mod Note: Okay lads we are going to leave that discussion, its going back and forth and not coming to any conclusions. Drop that particular subject now please. No more warnings.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭relax carry on

Anyone hear anything about missing and spoiled votes from the independent candidates in Mayo?

http://www.broadsheet.ie/2016/02/29/hold-the-mayo-2/

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭FrPhelimYoung

Anyone hear anything about missing and spoiled votes from the independent candidates in Mayo?

The main man making the claim mislaid a BMW once too....

http://www.mayonews.ie/component/content/article?id=14522:ballyhaunis-man-jailed-for-attempting-insurance-fraud

Ah, BMW O'Boyle and his court challenges. Hilarious stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

You couldn't make this up. The TF were charging the media for security at the count centre. From here.

The Western People, Advertiser and Mayo news refused to pay the €900 for the event.

Celtic tiger is back.....

finisklin wrote: »
    You couldn't make this up. The TF were charging the media for security at the count centre. From here.

The Western People, Advertiser and Mayo news refused to pay the €900 for the event.

Celtic tiger is back.....

They charged for the use of a specific prepareed area. The floor itself was free. What's the problem?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭finisklin

The floor area wasn't suitable for journo's to provide on going media coverage, by separating a portion off and charging for it is a tad opportunistic. Given that this was provided for free at previous elections and in other electoral count centre's, means that market forces are taking advantage of the democratic process in process.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Gerry O’Boyle is also in line for fines with posters still up.

Needless to say, there's a good chance he'll also try to claim a conspiracy and claim that people from other parties took them down and only put them back up after the deadline -- I know that's not the case for the ones I have in mind as I've passed them every day.

finisklin wrote: »
    The floor area wasn't suitable for journo's to provide on going media coverage, by separating a portion off and charging for it is a tad opportunistic. Given that this was provided for free at previous elections and in other electoral count centre's, means that market forces are taking advantage of the democratic process in process.

Nonsense, of course the floor area was suitable. They built a custom area with camera platforms and provided security for propery left there, if people didn't want to pay to use it they could go to the floor for free.

That article is just the usual clickbait ****e, the headline reads as if the media were blocked from entering altogether without paying. The reality is that it isn't even news.

Advertisement