Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Clamping release fee at railway stations

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

n97 mini wrote: »
    Someone I know was clamped at a railway station last weekend and the release fee was €120.

I thought under the 2015 Act that the maximum release fee is €100?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/maximum-clamping-fine-will-be-100-on-private-land-30341057.html

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2015/act/13/enacted/en/pdf

The €100 max dosn't apply to an airport, CIE, the RPA, a harbour or a fishery harbour centre or a body established under statute.

The Independent was wrong in mentioning railway stations.

It's also worth noting that whilst the Bill was enacted last May it has yet to actually commence and as such currently has no legal standing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

GM228 wrote: »
    The €100 max dosn't apply to an airport, CIE, the RPA, a harbour or a fishery harbour centre or a body established under statute.

Does that include a local authority? I think there's double standards here, private clampers can only charge €100 while statutory clampers can charge more. I thought the purpose of the act was the protect the public!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

there should be no need to protect the public from statutory bodies, i'd say they are publically accountable, The need is to protect the public from cowboys and criminals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

n97 mini wrote: »
    Does that include a local authority? I think there's double standards here, private clampers can only charge €100 while statutory clampers can charge more. I thought the purpose of the act was the protect the public!

Councils only charge €80-85.

Most railway station car parks are operated by private operators.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭GM228

Victor wrote: »
    Councils only charge €80-85.

Most railway station car parks are operated by private operators.

Very true but will still be exempt.

The Act dosn't actually distinguish between private vs statutory clamping but rather statutory parking places and non-statutory parking places, only non statutory places are subject to the max fee.

Lands owned or occupied by CIE are listed as "statutory parking places", irrespective of who actually operates the clamping the clamping is still in place on CIE land and not subject to the max.

Also worth nothing that non statutory parking places can actually have a fee highter than €100 if prescribed by the NTA when the act actually comes into force if ever-nearly 9 months later and it still hasn't come into force.

• Advertisement

there should be no need to protect the public from statutory bodies, i'd say they are publically accountable, The need is to protect the public from cowboys and criminals.

While I agree that there is a need to protect the public from cowboys and criminals it is hugely ironic that instruments of the state can charge more than those cowboys and criminals. Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Are we saying CIÉ aren't cowboys despite allowing a train line fall into the sea through lack of care?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭c_meth

Is there not a need to protect the public from rogue parking in railway stations ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

c_meth wrote: »
    Is there not a need to protect the public from rogue parking in railway stations ?

Clampers are looking to increase release fees as not enough people are parking illegally and they're not coving their costs.

The whole system is flawed.

c_meth wrote: »

If there was a need, then all stations would be paid parking...

• Advertisement

The irony isn't lost on me either that parking in Dublin city centre is free on Sundays, while pay parking is in operation 24/7 in train stations. Why would you bother using the train when it's more expensive and more hassle.

It's actually cheaper for me to drive in and park in Connolly Station than to get the train from Rush and Lusk if I've the family with me...

Advertisement