Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

L Badges and N Badges together on one car?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,883 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

There are far more important things wrong with the driving in Ireland than people driving with N & L plates up when they actually have a full license.

Namely the people without N or L plates who don't have any kind of license at all. Or tax. Or insurance.

Or the people driving along texting or on the phone. Or those who speed through little towns and do 80kmh on the motorway. Or those who don't have a clue what lane they should be in on a roundabout. Or those who sit in the 'fast' lane for their entire journey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭kerten

A thread about people who are keeping legally required identifiers on their car but not putting on and putting off them timely to not to annoy some drivers.

Because some drivers gets so pissed off if they see two identifiers on a car both pointing that car may have a inexperienced driver.

I think some drivers start following ROTR not the identifiers to drive safely and be more forgiving if drivers with identifiers make a mistake in traffic.

Following ROTR will keep you unharmed from those mistakes in 99% of the instances.

I wish this thread would be about the inexperienced drivers who are not putting on their identifiers to avoid law.

/rant over

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,815 ✭✭✭creedp

If person is a learner, they may need a good bit of distance. They're learning so could stop at any time, cut out, go slow, etc .... Depends on their level and tbh we were all learners once and I respect that and given them room

N drivers are (in theory) good competent drivers

Of course this is just theory as there are many L drivers better than people 20 years on the road and vice versa but to me, seeing the L plate is a clear indication and if I see a car driving a bit odd and I give them room

Maybe we should also have a G plate for the older generation who regularly display the same type of symptoms ascribed above to the L/N driver.

Never understood the N plate thing myself, if you've passed your test then why do you need to go around with a bloody N plate for 2 full years .. I could be pushed to agree to a 6 month period but 2 years is a bloody joke. As for people leaving both plates up making it difficult to identify drivers not displaying them .. how would someone know a L/N driver is driving without a plate .. would they be able to identify them by their inability to drive in a semi-competent manner .. in that case more than half the drivers on the road must be driving without their L plate up!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,575 ✭✭✭Indricotherium

creedp wrote: »
    Maybe we should also have a G plate for the older generation who regularly display the same type of symptoms ascribed above to the L/N driver.

Never understood the N plate thing myself, if you've passed your test then why do you need to go around with a bloody N plate for 2 full years .. I could be pushed to agree to a 6 month period but 2 years is a bloody joke. As for people leaving both plates up making it difficult to identify drivers not displaying them .. how would someone know a L/N driver is driving without a plate .. would they be able to identify them by their inability to drive in a semi-competent manner .. in that case more than half the drivers on the road must be driving without their L plate up!!

I just wish it was a different letter. L plates work well because you can say "nice loser plates" to someone but there's nothing good for "N".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I just wish it was a different letter. L plates work well because you can say "nice loser plates" to someone but there's nothing good for "N".

"Nobjockey". Don't thank me, it's my job. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭visual

esforum wrote: »
    Yep, I also hate when you do a checkpoint and every car has tax, insurance, NCT, good tyes and not even a smell of booze. God damn inconsiderate people wasting my time by not committing offences :mad:;)

May I ask, before you drive do you check your tyres, lights, mirrors, wipers and the condition of your spare tyre, break down and first aid kits?

Heres an idea, how about we all take a deep breath, relax and show other road users some patience, space and decency in general? Wouldnt that be nice

my tyres lights mirrors wipers and spare tyre sure they all will be grand like.
    its fits in with other motorist that can't be arsed displaying the correct plates.

Its this attitude that encourages RSA to bring in additional laws points and fines.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭esforum

visual wrote: »
    my tyres lights mirrors wipers and spare tyre sure they all will be grand like.
    its fits in with other motorist that can't be arsed displaying the correct plates.

Its this attitude that encourages RSA to bring in additional laws points and fines.

the RSA dont bring anything in actually, they suggest and lobby. Minister for Justice brings law, points and fines

esforum wrote: »
    the RSA dont bring anything in actually, they suggest and lobby. Minister for Justice brings law, points and fines

suggest and lobby ! it is not a private business like AA we are talking about. RSA is a state statutory body under the department of transport answerable to the minister for transport who decides to proposes recommendations as order of business in Dail session voted on by your beloved TDs sent to Oireachtas for rubber stamp and hey presto we have yet another badly written law to add to the many others that aren't being enforced. Meanwhile Fitzgerald (Minister for Justice) is directing Irish navy in Med or at citizenship ceremonies or off on some other personal publicity crusade it doesn't matter if she is present to vote or not. One could argue that creating amending laws and dividing up budgets is all they do other than seeking sound bites and publicity. There is a army of civil servants, boards and committees that draft up legislation for them to vote on as "order of business" in dail sessions. Suggestions and lobby brigade use the tried and tested brown envelopes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,666 ✭✭✭✭MJohnston

I always thought "noob" was a pretty good summary of them. But jaysus, how lazy people have become if they can't even be bothered to take the 5 seconds to remove plates from their windows!

Passed a micra on M50 with both L and N plates in front and back window. That is big blind spot both front and back although doubt the driver noticed as he was too busy on phone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

It's just lazy not displaying the appropriate plate. That in itself deserves an ass kicking.

p.s. For a car that has multiple drivers I'd suggest magnetic plates. Takes a few seconds only to change them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

I know neighbours of mine gave their Kids their 2013 highline VW Golf as their own for driving to school, and has big massive L and N plates on the front and rear windows. I assume both siblings drive it, one qualified, one not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

why do people put them on the glass? surely somewhere else would be more sensible

why do people put them on the glass? surely somewhere else would be more sensible

Putting them on the body could damage the paint. If they are up high in the corner of the windows they should not cause any visibility issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭dennyk

I have some cling film L "plates" that are easy to put on and take off, but I don't know how well they'd hold up under extended use; only put 'em up for EDT lessons and eventually my test.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

The cling film ones work just fine. I had a pair that I put on and off at least a 100 times.

Advertisement