Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What healthy foods do you like?

Options
  • 11-02-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭

I'm starting to eat healthier so I can achieve a nice enough body for summer (yeah I know) and It's going well enough. However I am always starving and the food that I do eat is always tasteless and just awful if I'm being honest. So I'm wondering if any of you guys eat anything that's heathy and to you, has a great taste and is filling. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Speedwell

I'm going to get a lot of flack for this, but I quite enjoy many "meat analogs". I never had a problem eating meat until my mother developed hormone-dependent breast cancer, and then I went vegan for many years. Vegans who avoid meat for ideological reasons would obviously not agree with me.

In general, though, you need not eat any specially-produced "health foods". Just stick to what you instinctively know to be healthy. Fresh, whole, plant-based, minimally processed, in balanced amounts, and don't stuff yourself. Drink water, not juices (basically water and sugar, even if they are pure plant juices). Try new exotic veggies and ask in the cooking threads if you're not sure what to do with something you want to try. My Mexican sister-in-law introduced me to some interesting combinations like melon with lime juice and chile powder. That sort of thing alone might restore the flavor hit you are missing.

Edit: There is no reason you should avoid meat. You need protein to feel full. Just make sure it is lean, organic or known-origin, cooked safely, in appropriate portions, and accompanied by fresh plant-origin foods.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Latatian

Vegetables. Ordinary frozen peas, cooked with minimal water and maybe a little butter if you like it, are nutritious and simple. To me they taste pretty damn good.

Add vegetables into things you ordinarily like and switch them for higher-calorie things like meat or starches - so make a curry with a load of veg in it, and as many spices as you want, and eat a smaller amount of rice with it. Or do a stir-fry with peppers, carrots, sweetcorn, spring onions, garlic, ginger, spices, whatever you like. The packets can be a bit boring/bland, you'll find nicer recipes online with less sugar too. Hot sauce, soya sauce, and spices are your friends- low calorie, and add flavour easily.

A bowl of porridge in the morning is healthy and filling (just remember to measure out your amount if you're counting calories). You could have a boiled egg with it.

I do a bowl of soup where you fry an onion, add water, boil lots of garlic and ginger together until it smells gorgeous and is a pale golden colour, add in broccoli and carrots and a little chopped chilli, maybe a little stock, add noodles, and green leaves go in last because they cook fastest (spinach for example). Edit: a chopped up boiled egg in the bowl and the soup poured over it is delicious.

Soups are easy and always good for getting in low-calorie and yet filling foods. Use lower-calorie vegetables, you don't need to sautee them, add spices for more flavour. Celeriac soup with a little wholegrain mustard and nice stock is delicious and you can get them in aldi.

Try Polish and Indian and Middle-Eastern shops for healthy ingredients, spices, interesting veg and so on. If you use the packets of dry spices sold by Shan and other brands they will give you confidence to mix spices together yourself, they're generally tasty. Get some nasai goreng paste, fry it with some leftover brown rice and add vegetables.

I have been told 'cauliflower rice' is good but have never tried it. A good dahl is tasty too. I would have told you to go boil your head a few years ago if you suggested red lentils are a comfort food- but they're good with ginger, turmeric, and a little sauce, boiled until thick and eaten when hot and delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭TheFitz13

Wow that's so helpful! Thanks guys!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,504 ✭✭✭NiallBoo

What kind of "healthy" food are you eating at the moment?

"Healthy" being such a varying term, what'a the gist of what you're trying to do?
    Eg. Specific calorie goals, low fat, low sugar, low gi, anything but kfc, etc. ?

NiallBoo wrote: »
    What kind of "healthy" food are you eating at the moment?

"Healthy" being such a varying term, what'a the gist of what you're trying to do?
    Eg. Specific calorie goals, low fat, low sugar, low gi, anything but kfc, etc. ?

Today for dinner I had this thing called a Diet Coke curry, it is complelty free and it was lovely and filling, basically what I want. But other days I'm having things like a calorie free lasagne, or veg. I'm basically trying to find new ideas, especially any that include mean as I am a big meat lover. I'm not big into veg but I'll still eat it lol

• Advertisement

TheFitz13 wrote: »
    Today for dinner I had this thing called a Diet Coke curry, it is complelty free and it was lovely and filling, basically what I want. But other days I'm having things like a calorie free lasagne, or veg. I'm basically trying to find new ideas, especially any that include mean as I am a big meat lover. I'm not big into veg but I'll still eat it lol

Calorie free?

Yep! Calorie free, and it was lovely too

• Registered Users Posts: 13,758 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

TheFitz13 wrote:

I'm lost. No food is calorie free.

Avoid processed food, cook from scratch whenever possible, steer clear of anything marketed as low-fat and develop your palate. Presto, you're 90% of the way to eating healthily.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

I think the OP means 'free' on the Slimming World diet, which refers to a daily allowance of certain foods.

OP - in case you're not already aware, there's a Nutrition & Diet forum here on Boards. You'll get lots of tips in there :)

I think the OP means 'free' on the Slimming World diet, which refers to a daily allowance of certain foods.
    *looks at website*

...surely that some kind of fraud?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,386 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'm starting to eat healthier so I can achieve a nice enough body for summer (yeah I know) and It's going well enough. However I am always starving and the food that I do eat is always tasteless and just awful if I'm being honest. So I'm wondering if any of you guys eat anything that's heathy and to you, has a great taste and is filling. Thanks!

My typical weekly shopping/meals (excluding treats) tends to be stuff like.
    Salmon and cauliflower,
    steak, grilled chicken, pork, etc
    Mexican eggs, Fritata's
    Kangaroo/Chicken Burgers
    Thai curry
    Steak
    That makes up my dinner and lunch the next day. Breakfast's are eggs, oats, fruit and nut etc

Yep! Calorie free, and it was lovely too
    It's not calorie free.
    Syn-free is something else entirely

Advertisement