Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions about redundancy.

Options
  • 11-02-2016 7:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭

I started work in a factory around May 9th or 10th 2014. We found out last September that the company who owns the factory were looking to sell it by the end of March 2016 or they would close it. We had a meeting today and we're told that it looks likely that closure will be announced the end of next month and manufacturing will cease by June.

We were told that all full time staff would be kept until june but contract workers would be let go at the end of their contracts, which are up at the end of next month as well. They said that any contract workers who were here 2 years or more would be entitled to redundancy and would be given 30 days notice so they wouldn't finish until the end of April.

My question is, I'll be here a year and 10 months when my contract is up, will they have to give me 30 days notice or can they just let me go? Is there any way that I could get redundancy out of the closure as I'll only be a few weeks off of 2 years?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,316 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

No chance for redundancy (minimum 2 years) and highly unlikely you'd get the additional month either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Nody wrote: »
    No chance for redundancy (minimum 2 years) and highly unlikely you'd get the additional month either.

So I've no real rights until I get to the 2 years?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

hefferboi wrote: »
    So I've no real rights until I get to the 2 years?

Afraid not, no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

Jesus that's some kick in the stones so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭blindsider

Op - it is, but unfortunately employment law is very clear. Once they put a defined time limit on this stuff, it's black and white, with no room for negotiation.

Rough luck, and I hope you find sth. else soon!

• Advertisement
Advertisement