Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Savings for a house

Options
  • 11-02-2016 8:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭

We're saving right now.

I know we need to have
    10% up to 220000 and 20% beyond that
    Legal fees
    Building surveys etc

What I'm confused about is when you get to buying. Do you need to have the booking deposit (if that's what it's called) too? Or is that part of the mortgage drawdown? If it's not, how much is it normally?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

It's part of the 10% deposit and is paid when you go sale agreed. Mine was €5,000, I think its normally around that. It goes to the estate agent who holds. If your buying a house for €150,000 you'll just need to give €10,000 more when completing because you've given the €5,000 booking deposit already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Jet Black wrote: »
    It's part of the 10% deposit and is paid when you go sale agreed. Mine was €5,000, I think its normally around that. It goes to the estate agent who holds. If your buying a house for €150,000 you'll just need to give €10,000 more when completing because you've given the €5,000 booking deposit already.

So we use our 10% savings for mortgage purposes to pay the deposit? Cool

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,507 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

Dont forget the cost of furniture if you dont already have it.

And stamp duty, management fees already paid by previous owner for the year, life insurance etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,845 ✭✭✭Jet Black

So we use our 10% savings for mortgage purposes to pay the deposit? Cool

Yes. Just make sure you get and keep the receipt the estate agent gives you. The bank will need a copy of this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

That's ok, we are in a semi furnished so have everything including beds, couches, even a cooker. Essentially everything except fridge and washing machine

• Advertisement
Advertisement