Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Problem with my internet - Stuck in limbo looking for help

Options
  • 11-02-2016 9:10pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hi,

I've been having problems with my net for a few days now. The gist of it is that my efibre internet keeps losing the DSL connection on a increasingly frequent basis.

I rang up Tuesday evening, explained the situation. The man at the other end told me they could see the issue, and that they would send out an engineer to have a look. I asked when to expect the engineer but they told me he wouldn't need to arrive at the house; that the problem was (according to their system) at the exchange, and that the engineer would be able to fix everything without having to even talk to me. Grand so.

This morning, round 10:30, the engineer rocks up to the house, unannounced. Still, happy enough to get the problem looked at, I let him in. He fiddles with the socket in the house, stuff on the footpath and at the exchange up the road, but says he can't see much of a problem. He says there was some corrosion on the card at the exchange but he swapped it out. And if the problem came back, I'd need a new modem. 20 minutes after he left, the problem was back.

So I rang up again. This time, the guy said it was probably a modem software issue, so accessed it remotely, fiddled round with it, increased the signal, altered the wifi security key (not sure why) and told me that was grand now, everything fixed. He said to make sure, he'd call back between 5 and 6pm. He took my phone number. 5 minutes after the call ended, the problem was back. Dare I say, it was worse too. I can't keep the connection for longer than 10 minutes now. And, of course, he never actually bothered to ring back...

Rang up again to lodge my frustrations. The third guy now, I was told that the second guy's changes were not on record (which means he was meddling with my settings without recording what changes he was making). I said that the engineer said I might need a new modem, but after a few tests, I was told this wasn't the case at all. The tests could see the issue, and it wasn't a modem. I was then told he would ring the engineer and get him to swing back round to the house for another look. I asked if I could get a time frame, which I was told no too, but was assured I'd get a phone call before the engineer arrived (which didn't happen this morning). 

So I'm stuck in limbo now. My internet can't stay connected for longer than 10 minutes, which makes streaming or gaming very difficult, and is a nightmare from a work point of view. I'm waiting for an engineer who couldn't fix the issue the first time he was out, and whose secondary diagnose (that I need a new modem) was already disregarded by another Eir rep. So not sure what to expect from him this time round either then. I also have no clue when he is due; tomorrow? I'll sit in all day if I have to, but will it be tomorrow? If it's not, I guess I've got broken Internet till Monday, meaning it will have been nearly a week since I flagged the issue and it still will be broken. Thats if he shows up Monday, and can actually fix it this time. The second guy I talked to didn't bother to ring me back like he said he would.

If I send my account details to someone, could they please look into it? 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭eir: Alan

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Hi,

I've been having problems with my net for a few days now. The gist of it is that my efibre internet keeps losing the DSL connection on a increasingly frequent basis.

I rang up Tuesday evening, explained the situation. The man at the other end told me they could see the issue, and that they would send out an engineer to have a look. I asked when to expect the engineer but they told me he wouldn't need to arrive at the house; that the problem was (according to their system) at the exchange, and that the engineer would be able to fix everything without having to even talk to me. Grand so.

This morning, round 10:30, the engineer rocks up to the house, unannounced. Still, happy enough to get the problem looked at, I let him in. He fiddles with the socket in the house, stuff on the footpath and at the exchange up the road, but says he can't see much of a problem. He says there was some corrosion on the card at the exchange but he swapped it out. And if the problem came back, I'd need a new modem. 20 minutes after he left, the problem was back.

So I rang up again. This time, the guy said it was probably a modem software issue, so accessed it remotely, fiddled round with it, increased the signal, altered the wifi security key (not sure why) and told me that was grand now, everything fixed. He said to make sure, he'd call back between 5 and 6pm. He took my phone number. 5 minutes after the call ended, the problem was back. Dare I say, it was worse too. I can't keep the connection for longer than 10 minutes now. And, of course, he never actually bothered to ring back...

Rang up again to lodge my frustrations. The third guy now, I was told that the second guy's changes were not on record (which means he was meddling with my settings without recording what changes he was making). I said that the engineer said I might need a new modem, but after a few tests, I was told this wasn't the case at all. The tests could see the issue, and it wasn't a modem. I was then told he would ring the engineer and get him to swing back round to the house for another look. I asked if I could get a time frame, which I was told no too, but was assured I'd get a phone call before the engineer arrived (which didn't happen this morning). 

So I'm stuck in limbo now. My internet can't stay connected for longer than 10 minutes, which makes streaming or gaming very difficult, and is a nightmare from a work point of view. I'm waiting for an engineer who couldn't fix the issue the first time he was out, and whose secondary diagnose (that I need a new modem) was already disregarded by another Eir rep. So not sure what to expect from him this time round either then. I also have no clue when he is due; tomorrow? I'll sit in all day if I have to, but will it be tomorrow? If it's not, I guess I've got broken Internet till Monday, meaning it will have been nearly a week since I flagged the issue and it still will be broken. Thats if he shows up Monday, and can actually fix it this time. The second guy I talked to didn't bother to ring me back like he said he would.

If I send my account details to someone, could they please look into it? 
    Hi Lord TSC

If you could please PM me your eir account number I will look in to this for further details.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement